How to JDM Zenki S14 SR20DET swap into a DOHC S13

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
pauliedrft
Car: 91 240sx

Mine only has only on i covered it with yuri . What is the amps on it and can i use a regular relay as long as the amps are thee same ???? And how much would it cost for a blue one from nissan??????

mestizo

A standard boshe style relay is rated for around 30 Amps if I remember right and I would think the Nissan relays are around the same however I do not know for sure. But yes you should be able to wire a standard relay in it's place.

As for the cost of the relay at Nissan I don't know either, but I would venture to guess that they would be expensive. I bought one of the large fuses from the dealer and it was $18. lol I won't do that again, so now I just go to the junk yard and pull the relays and fuses from the cars out there.

Also how come Yuri didn't explain any of this to you? I mean if you paid for the service I would think he could explain what that relay does right?

pauliedrft

that man is hard to get a hold of i sent him a email and it took 2 days to get back . No offense to him but hes a busy man And it adds some tech to the thread imo .So if i just buy one form Nissan .I should just say the light blue relay im guessing .It only has 4 plug holes in it .Thnaks for the help and another ? what o2 censor can i use with this engine the 1995 plug ion a 300zx tt looks exactly like my plug ? Thanks for the help .(my engine had a 4 wire o2 in the stock down pipe said japan on it .)

mestizo

I am fairly sure that you can go to Nissan and ask for the ECU relay from an S14, that should fit the relay plug you have. However one of the blue relays on my harness had a broken plug so I replaced it with a spare relay that I pulled out of the under hood fuse box of an S13 at the junk yard. Just about any relay that fits that plug should work.

As for the O2 sensor there is a parts interchangabilty thread on here somewhere. From my experience tho any O2 that threads in to your down pipe and has the correct plug will work. I have done this twice with no problem.

newdude1

Sorry Im a noob at wiring. But how do put the wires on the right pin?

I know on the s13 interior plug the check engine lights is the red wire and on the s14 its the orange one. I just dont really understand how to get them to line up basically. Also I had my harness shipped out to get it done. But was told that the check engine light wasnt wired up.

mestizo

In my write up you cut and splice the wires. This is explained on the first page where to cut the factory harness plugs so you can connect the right wires to each other to make it a plug and play harness.

At this point you will need to look at your harness for the CEL wire leading from the ECU and splice/connect it to your interior plug in the right position.

LOL what's with this trend of people sending their harness out to get done and then they get it back and still have to come to my thread to get help?

pauliedrft

Did you send it to yuri at wiring specialties ?

Yes it is funny that we come to your thread at least were keeping it alive .

newdude1

Hey dude how do you check your codes?

mestizo

Same way you check them with the stock ECU. Turn the knob to put the ECU into diagnostic mode and count the CEL blinks.

newdude1

Sorry for the noob questions but how do you put it into diagnostic mode?

mestizo

A search on this site gave me this link...

zerothread/60332

newdude1

I dont think the s14 ecus have that screw on the ecu. Atleast I dont see it on mine. Does yours have it?

mestizo

If you ecu doesn't have hte knob then the only way to check codes that I know of is to hook up the consult wires and connect a consult to the ecu to pull the codes.

audiman

Hy,

I'm trying to do my CA18DET to SR20det swap. I have purchased a SR20DET bud it is a kouki engine whit a smaller ECU plug. Dow somebody know the deferents and somebody know of this guide also work whit a kouki SR20DET engine?

thanks,

Roy

mestizo

You will need to get the Kouki ECU and interior plug pinout as well as the the pinout for your chassis to wire it up.

audiman

So you mean it is not the same as a Zenki? I do not really understand your answer

mestizo

What I am saying is I don't know the difference between the Zenki and Kouki S14 SR interior and ecu plugs. I don't have a Kouki SR so I have never seen the plug nor have I downloaded the Kouki pinout.

What you need to make the two work is the FSM of you car chassis and then the FSM of the motor you are going to put into your chassis.

nissansx0nor
Car: Nissan 200sx 91mod s13 sr20det

Hey Mestizo,I got something for you :D

*i have a 200sx s13 91 mod LHD ca18det ok! now i have buyed a sr20det blacktop to put in the car, i have all that is needed for the swap wiring (myself) and eccu/ecu.

My question is: where do i put the Resistor?? the resistor from sr20det have only 2 wires, and i cant find where it must be connected.

(i havent had start on the car yet, still some work toodo),

Thx for posting the wiring howto

Regards From Norway

mestizo

If you're talking about the injector resistor from your CA then you don't need it with the SR swap.

nissansx0nor

i use the Resistor that was with the sr20det swap, but i cant see where it belong?

btw (i dont use the resistor from ca18det, it has 5 wires).

mestizo

Hmm I am not sure what your talking about? Have any pics of what it is you are talking about? If so that will prolly help, but I also have another question, is your SR swap from an S13 or S14?

acattackgs

First off i would like to say thanks. I like to do as little wiring as possible because wiring has never been fun for me...lol I have the Harness complete, follow your guide to a Tee. Wiring was easy enough and even i cold fig it out. My only question is about the blue relays. I know you kept the s14 ones because you also wanted to do as little wiring as possible, now what to do with the s13 ones? Just leave them as they are?

One last thing, could you take a pic or explain to me which heater hose goes to which port on the heater core? Lets say #1 is closest to motor, and #2 to the shock tower, now which one goes to top/bottom of heater core?

mestizo

The heater hose connections can go eather way, the way I ran them was to make the outlet off the motor go to the top fitting of the heater core so gravity would help pull the coolant down. But I don't see why it can't go either way, and I have read many threads where people say that it doesn't matter which side goes where.

As for the S13 relays just leave them in place, they need to be there in order to make this all work.

nissansx0nor

mestizo wrote:Hmm I am not sure what your talking about? Have any pics of what it is you are talking about? If so that will prolly help, but I also have another question, is your SR swap from an S13 or S14?

nissansx0nor

Hey, sry for the wait The swap is from a jdm180sx blacktop (man gear), so must i use the resistor from the sr20det swap on the (sr20det) engine??

(But what is it for, if its not a resistor)

*i cant find where the resistor (resistor pack for the injectors) belong in the (wiring/cable) to the engine. (if i need to use it tho

il try my best on write english

http://s692.photobucket.com/al...r.jpg

Modified by nissansx0nor at 2:46 PM 9/17/2009

Modified by nissansx0nor at 2:50 PM 9/17/2009
Modified by nissansx0nor at 3:18 PM 9/17/2009

mestizo

This write up is not for the SR that you have, I am not sure what that resistor is. I have not wired up an S13 SR personally, I only watched and I don't remember seeing that resistor on the swap my friends did.

haggard240
Car: haggard s13 with sohc

so when i do this i have a sohc car.. i can use my sohc harness right? or best to use a DOHC ?

mestizo

Use should use the harness that matches your particular chassis, but the power plugs in the engine bay are the same on the DOHC and SOHC harness so either can be used. The difference is the interior plugs, but like I stated in the first post you can pretty much color for color match the DOHC and SOHC interior plugs or just get the SOHC interior plug pinout and use that instead of my pinout.

acattackgs

So i finished the wiring via your guide a while ago, just got around to finally finishing other stuff to get the motor running. Went to start it up, and it has spark but no fuel. I pulled plugs and turned key to on, heard the pump prime, but i dont see any fuel going into the cylinders. All grounds attached, No ecu codes other than 55. Any ideas?

forgot to mention, the blue relays dont click when u turn the key to start, but do click when you turn the key in off position. Sound about right?

*update* Im getting fuel to fpr and rail, lines are hooked up right, injectors seem to be the problem.

Modified by acattackgs at 9:50 AM 10/21/2009
Modified by acattackgs at 10:36 AM 10/21/2009

mestizo

Code 55 means everything is ok. The only thing I can tell you is to go back over your wiring and recheck what you connected. Unless you have a multi meter then you can test to see if the injectors are getting power. Also the blue power relays should click when you turn the key on and then again when you turn the key off.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”