How to JDM Zenki S14 SR20DET swap into a DOHC S13

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
mestizo

Mainly it was just a bunch of small revision's is what Nissan did. My S14 SR was the same price as the S13 SR's from Jhot so I went with the S14 since it had lower miles. There is not that big of a difference in my opinion, but I figured why not go for a newer and lower mileage motorset.

leesredgt
Car: 1992 Toyota MR2 N/A
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Thats were im gonna get mine from.Do they tell you the mileage when u get it?B/c werent the s13 blacktops made from 94 untill 98 just the same as the s14 sr?

The S14 SR they got there now is only 100$ more then the blacktop.Heck i might just get a redtop to save money.

mestizo

I think you're right about the year's that the S13 blacktop was used but Im not an expert on the SR's tho. To answer your question about mileage, yes they tell you the miles on the motorset. I talked with Gabe when I bought mine he got me the mileage and about 20 pics of the motorset, also something that you might not know they get their motorset from running cars that they buy at auctions so they can verify the motorset is in good running order. Which is unlike mosts places that get their motorsets from junk yards.

leesredgt
Car: 1992 Toyota MR2 N/A
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Sweet,thanks for the info man.If you dont mind me askin how many miles did your SR have?

mestizo

mine had 55xxxKM which if i remember right is around 30k Miles.

92vert240
Car: S13 hatch S14SR20 stock record-12.35 at 110, 87 t-type 10.69 at 132. hatch daily.

Well i still havn't got my car running and i still cannot figure out why.

Why on the gray s13 plug did you use RED pin 3) ECU backup power wire to power pin 24 on the interior plug insted of pin 5) ECU power Black/White wire? Pin 24 on the interior white s14 plug matches up with pin 59 Black/White wire on the ECU. This seems to make more sense. Also, shouldn't pin 49 be included in this to recieve power as well? It says ECU power on that pin aso on the ECU diagram.

The pin above thoes, pin 58 says Power Supply (back up). It seems more logical to use the pin on the s13 gray plug that says ECU backup power.

You have nothing going to pin 49 which needs power. Correct me if im wrong but this seems to be the way it should be. Thanks. Tyler.

mestizo

The way I did it is the way I did it... Everyone will do it differently from someone else, so there really is no need to ask me why I did it that way. But to answer your question I made the least amount of changes to the stock wiring as possible so that if a correction had to be made it would be easy to do. Also the way I powered the S14 harness is the same way it was powered from Nissan. I powered the factory relay's which in turn powered everything like it did when it was in the JDM S14 in Japan.

I don't know why you're having so many issue's with this, I have had nothing but positive e mails form people about the wiring write up. As well as I have web site statics from my forums that show where my write up has been linked and at least 4 different places people link to my write up and say that it works perfect.

I'm kind of pissed by all of this, I made this to help people not to make it more complicated or to give misinformation. Bottom line is I know this way works, it's worked in my personal car as well as several others who have thanked me for my write up. If it continues like this I will just delete this entire thread and stop trying to help people.

92vert240
Car: S13 hatch S14SR20 stock record-12.35 at 110, 87 t-type 10.69 at 132. hatch daily.

mestizo wrote:The way I did it is the way I did it... Everyone will do it differently from someone else, so there really is no need to ask me why I did it that way. But to answer your question I made the least amount of changes to the stock wiring as possible so that if a correction had to be made it would be easy to do. Also the way I powered the S14 harness is the same way it was powered from Nissan. I powered the factory relay's which in turn powered everything like it did when it was in the JDM S14 in Japan.

I don't know why you're having so many issue's with this, I have had nothing but positive e mails form people about the wiring write up. As well as I have web site statics from my forums that show where my write up has been linked and at least 4 different places people link to my write up and say that it works perfect.

I'm kind of pissed by all of this, I made this to help people not to make it more complicated or to give misinformation. Bottom line is I know this way works, it's worked in my personal car as well as several others who have thanked me for my write up. If it continues like this I will just delete this entire thread and stop trying to help people.
Im not knockin you for the write up. I know you know more than me about the wireing so i just figured ide ask. Im going to take the entire harness back out and de-loom it again and see whats up. Thanks.

P.S. DONT DELETE THIS!!!!!! lol

newdude1

Did you manage to hook up the check engine light? If so how did you do that? I have my s14sr in my s13.

mestizo

Yes I hooked up everything to work as it did stock. To make the check engine light work its the red wire on the the DOHC S13 interior plug to the Pin 20 orange wire on the JDM S14 interior plug. If you go back to the 1st page of this write up it's in one of the wiring tables I made.

92vert240

Lets start from the beginning. With the entire harness and ecu out of the car, which pins on the s13 harness power plugs by the battery should i have power at? Key on/off? Or what voltage at what. This will be a good starting point. And let me just make a point that i do appreciate all the help!!! Thanks again . Tyler.

Taylor_Durdan

wow.

as far as why to use the red wire as opposed to the black/white... its bc the red wire is constant battery voltage and the blakc/white is ignition hot only.

when it seems like there is no way to figure out why your harness doesnt work, email me and i'll give you a good rate for the work. it will be an OEM fit, plug and play harness with zero issues

[email protected]

newdude1

Where did you connect the chains to when you put the sr motor in>?

92vert240

Well i fianally took the harness out and found that on the gray plug where is says to go pin 38 AND pin 40 on interior plug, i only connected 38. 40 goes to 45 on ECU which is ignition switch. So, hopefully that was the problem. We'll find out tomorrow.

Type X(J)
Car: '98 240SX SE

quick question - which oil filter did you use? I bought a purolator 14477 (its for the early se-r) but it doesn't fit right - treads different. thanks for the help!

sileighty85
Car: 1992 240sx Fastback SE

Type X(J) wrote:quick question - which oil filter did you use? I bought a purolator 14477 (its for the early se-r) but it doesn't fit right - treads different. thanks for the help!
go to the dealer with this part # 15208-65f00. it's the same oil filter as a 98 SER and a new USDM 350Z.

92vert240

Well for anyone following my posts, i missed pin 45 like i said in the previous post. Wired that one in and it started up instantly!!!!

Thanks so much for everything and sorry for the headaches i caused lol.

yabeet
Car: 90' Coupe

92vert240 wrote:Well for anyone following my posts, i missed pin 45 like i said in the previous post. Wired that one in and it started up instantly!!!!

Thanks so much for everything and sorry for the headaches i caused lol.
Congrats bro, must be the biggest and best relief!! Have a good time with the S14.

yabeet
Car: 90' Coupe

Just got my brand new engine harness today, I will soon be trying to do this successfully first time, wish me luck!

NAKA24DE

I have to give an A+ to mestizo !!! I just got done with my Brothers '91 240SX / Zenki SR20DET swap ... I folowed the wirring on this post exactly and it started first try , runs perfect .... All works just as stock ... I have yet to get my scanner hooked up to see if that part works ... But so far everything is great ..... I have to give a HUGE Thanks ..... the last few SR swaps I have done have taken tripple the time to wire , this write up saved me Hours !!!

Thanks x10 !!

silviaziz
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx hatch-back

Mestizo,

I'm having a shop install my s14 into my s13. They seem to have everything figured out. The only problem seems to be with the MAF plug and MAF sensor. The plug does not "fit/hook up". I believe I have a Zenki front clip, and I know that the MAF sensor itself comes out of a Zenki (I checked the part #). I have to check to see if my engine has "fins" or not and also check the plugs to see if I have a Zenki or Kouki harness.

If I do have a Kouki harness, should i just "hardwire" the MAF "plug" into the MAF or should I purchase a Kouki MAF.

Also, if I do have a Zenki harness, then why would the plug not hook-up?

Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks

mestizo

Your harness may have been modified at some point for a different MAF or the place that sold it to you switched the MAF for whatever reason is all I can come up with for why it doesn't plug right in. As for hardwiring it in to your harness I don't know if that will work, you need to find out what maf you have and do some research to find out what it's from and if has the same voltage reading as your stock setup or if you need to do a MAF hack to make it work with what you have.

silviaziz
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx hatch-back

Thanks for the fast response. I found out that I have a Zenki Maf and a Kouki wiring harness and ECU. Can the MAF be hard wired in? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks again.

mestizo

Like I was saying before, you can hard wire it in but you need to find out if the zenki and kouki maf's run the same voltage input and output signals, if so then yes it will work. If not then you need to do a MAF hack or something else that will compensate for the difference.

fc3s4life
Car: 1987 Mazda turbo rx7

id just like to say thank you for this wright up ive just finished wiring my friends sr and everything works just as it should and this is my first sr swap i also would like to add that i do not own a nissan i own an rx7.....sooooo thank you!!!!

mestizo

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I'm glad my write up helped you wire it up, that is what I made it for was to help out the community.

newdude1

K well my car is a 90 so it has the sohc wiring harness. Is it still the same wire that I would use to hook up the check engine light?

mestizo

Yes the SOHC wire color on the interior plug is Red which is for the CEL, same color as the DOHC CEL wire.

pauliedrft
Car: 91 240sx

Ok guys i need to know about this blue relay Yuri is talking about .(yes i send my harness out ;I didn't want to deal with wiring it up , do all the other shizz i did .)But i need a blue relay gos by the ecu inside the car .any one know what it is .

mestizo

Um it is a relay... lol you already said what it is. Are you asking what the relay powers/triggers? If so then there are 2 blue relays, one powers the ECU and the other is for the ignitor chip/coil packs.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”