JDM Engines

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Infinitiace1992
Car: 1991 Infiniti Q45t KH1-C Ivory Quartz w/beige interior

Has anyone had any experience with JDM engines from Japan? I guess my bigger question is this: Is there any re mapping or and reprogramming needed? Are there any internal sensors that also need to be such as crank sensor that might be specific to the home market even though it’s the same engine. I had problems with a Honda JDM motor years ago.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

NolimitZ32 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:57 am
My advice would be to source a rebuildable core as cheap as possible and have a reputable builder build you an engine or buy an already built engine. JDM engines are a crapshoot and for 2500 you're in order-built territory. I bought a JDM engine once, it came with a 1 month warranty, the wrong ECU (Z31 unit), a cut up EFI harness, and a bent rod. The seller wouldn't swap out the ECU, just flat out said no, wouldn't provide an uncut harness, and it took me more than a month to figure out the bent rod because I was doing the swap myself on the weekends so the warranty was never honored (not that I expect it would have been honored even if I discovered it within the month). I ended up building the engine myself but could've saved a lot of money if I had just bought a core from a junk yard. We have a thread in 300ZX general which documents all the horror and success stories of used JDM engines, you should read it. Then I suggest you find an engine builder and start a conversation with them. Also check out these:

Built IPP Stage 1 Longblock: https://www.importpartspro.com/stage-1- ... 300zx.html
Forged internals bottom end rebuild kit: https://conceptzperformance.com/wiseco- ... p_1518.php
Valves and Kits: https://conceptzperformance.com/items.p ... =92&page=1

There are many options. You may end up spending ~$1500 more in the end, build services included but you will have a FRESH engine with upgraded components, zero miles, and the KNOWLEDGE that you don't have a ticking time bomb under your hood, and likely a 1 or 2 year warranty from startup.

You could also try to source good used parts and have the engine built or even assemble it yourself, all the information you need is in the FSM but I don't know if you are interested in such an undertaking.
NolimitZ32 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:12 am
This has been covered in some detail so do a search on the forums.

In short though:
1. It is highly recommended to get a new EFI harness (whatever you get with the engine will be damaged and likely crumbling). You may have to re-pin the power connection (6 pin plug on EFI harness) to connect to your 96 body harness but the ECU plug will be plug and play.
2. The transmissions are all the same for all year TTs (except the 98+ which have stranger synchros but dimensionally are identical).
3. You will ABSOLUTELY lose OBD2 operation and if your state/county requires OBD2 operability to pass smog then you will have to source and install an emulator or a standalone which is a rabbit-hole all its own.

All that said be weary of JDM engines, best route would be to rebuild once you receive it or buy a built engine from IPP, Z1, SZ, etc.
NolimitZ32 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:09 pm
Your best bet is to have the current engine rebuilt if it rebuildable or buy one from IPP, Z1, or the like because the jdm engines regardless of how good they look or what the vendor tells you will have an unknown past and could have been beaten.

Infinitiace1992
Car: 1991 Infiniti Q45t KH1-C Ivory Quartz w/beige interior

Thank you very much. That was exactly what I’ve heard from others and thought I’d check this form. I did exactly what you mentioned and went with a rebuilt engine Did t really want to spend this much on a car that’s not worth it but I guess hobbies don’t always make financial good sense.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”