Jared's RB-7

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
jaredperry
Car: '69 510

I started wiring last weekend and my goodness… I didn’t realize the extent of what I am up against and it’s going to be pretty time consuming for one guy. I was able to get everything I needed to routed and in the correct direction. Also, I was able to mount the Haltech and prep for the cables to be run from the Racepak to the ECU.

Also, I welded up the head light housings last weekend to help with the wiring. The front end is growing to be more and more, but I really cannot build anything until the bumper arrives. Anyways, here is the progress:

jaredperry

Over the last week a bunch of progress was made with the car.

The two row Mishimoto radiator was replaced with a three row, which required a bit of modification to the front end. I was also able to move the Mishimoto intercooler back and down a bit to accommodate with the new radiator space requirements. With all that welding going on I figured it was a good time to install the hood pins and start the initial front chassis harness routing.

The lights are now operational with the help of a friend. Blinkers, high / low beam and hazards are good to go including the brake lights.

Next up to bat for the car is finalizing the engine harness, which entails a bit of housekeeping and new wiring with the added air temperature sensor and boost control solenoid for the haltech pro plug in setup.

I was also able to get the -4 AN oil feed and -8 AN oil drain lines made up for the turbo in addition to running some -3 AN lines for the brakes and proportioning valve.

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

Nice Project!

jaredperry

Yellow4g63 wrote:Nice Project!
Thanks!

jaredperry

A bunch of stuff arrived for the car this weekend. A box of K&N fuel, oil filters, AEM intake filters and a bunch of AEM 3” tubing made its way to my doorstep. I can’t thank the people over at K&N enough for the opportunity to use their products on this specific car build.

I also spun over to empire fabrication in Simi this weekend to see if Sean, the owner, could school me on some fabrication. He was able to make something pretty rad from some sheet aluminum in a matter of a few minutes. Talk about talented.

Here he is measuring out the Mishimoto fans and the radiator and quickly gathering ideas to run with.

Here, after the break lines and overall dimensions were figured, he is shearing the material for those perfect lines.

Another sweet tool over at Empire is the Pulmax. This machine was used to shear perfect circles in the material for the fans to pull air from. They turned out awesome!

Here, the press break was used to create the 45* and 90* bends to fit the outsides of the Mishimoto radiator and hold the slim fans.

A bit of fitment verification goin down.

Lastly, here he is throwing down some dimes with his eastwood tig 200 to mount it onto the radiator. This I feel is a better design with all the vibration that is to bound happen than to bolt a shroud onto the radiator.

The end product turned out awesome and with a great amount of clearance.

I was also able to make a fuel pump hanger this weekend with the help of my buddy Clint. I used the stock hanger, -8 bulkhead fittings and some 5/8” straight tubing with a single flare on the end. The pump is a Bosch 040 submersible pump. I think she came out pretty nice.

RRRRB
Car: 98 RB powered S14

lookin good dude, i like the fuel pump hanger and the hard line used.

jaredperry

RRRRB wrote:lookin good dude, i like the fuel pump hanger and the hard line used.
Thanks!

I think the only addition I will add to the fuel pump assembly is some type of check valve for the fuel feed line. Maybe something right after the 90* bulkhead fitting.

jaredperry

During this week Sean from empire fabrication was kind enough to come over and work with me. We ended up turning some fancy AEM intakes straight sections and bends into front mount intercooler charge pipes. I didn’t anticipate how short these throws ended up being, but I am really excited as to how they turned out; its almost as if this RB25 engine was meant for the FC chassis. He was even able to mount the turbosmart race port BOV for me.

Misc AEM Intakes tubing parts. I failed to get a picture prior. Dude was working too fast…

Sean throwin bends around to see what will work best.

Looks like a 90* and a 120* are pretty much a plug and play. Those AEM tubes sure are fancy.

Sean is suggesting a custom charge pipe setup here. We ended up going a different route with this side.

A 120* and a 90* again look to be a perfect fit.

Full Lock on the drivers side shows that there is plenty of room.

Tig welding with a eastwood 200.

Final products of left and right.

Mounted.

jaredperry

My buddy Gino over at vaderwerks found some time and wrapped some body parts for the car for last weekend. Fenders and spats are from Shine Auto. Naturally, I was stoked to install the body parts and did so along with starting an initial shakedown for the first start.

With my friends Gino’s help, we ran all the Teflon Steel Braided Fuel lines with AN PTFE Fittings and plumbed in the Cold Start and PCV plumbing system.

I ended up re-routing a lot of electrical wires, changing out the water pump, idlers, timing belt, thermostat and spark plugs. The windshield was also replaced over the weekend.

Oh, here is the first start.

peterlujan8

One of the more interesting threads on the site, congrats on the first start! Are you really going to leave the exhaust through the hood?

jaredperry

peterlujan8 wrote:One of the more interesting threads on the site, congrats on the first start! Are you really going to leave the exhaust through the hood?
Thank you and no. I only had straight tubing on the sunday I fired it up. It was changed the next day.

Here is a video of the map getting cleaned up: https://youtu.be/-p-dqjN8MEQ

RRRRB

nice man, looking forward to seeing what kinda power it lays down with that turbo..

What EMS you using?

jaredperry

RRRRB wrote:nice man, looking forward to seeing what kinda power it lays down with that turbo..

What EMS you using?
I am using the Haltech Pro Platinum plug in ECU.

RRRRB

Been on the dyno yet?

jaredperry

RRRRB wrote:Been on the dyno yet?
Soon!

On a lighter note, I have had a bit of a break from work and got some stuff done on this beauty. Mounted Skirts, Bumper, Rear Visor and got it all one color.

jaredperry

Teaser shot:

jaredperry

So I took the car over to a good fired Sean who owns Empire Fabrication in Simi Valley couple days ago. We were able to knock out a turbo back exhaust and a beefy bash bar from start to finish over the course of a couple long days. The exhaust is tig welded and made of 3" Stainless Steel turbo back using Deeds Engineering CNC'd exhaust hangers, bushings, and Billet V band Clamps. I think it all came out rad. The next thing is to install the LS2 coil packs and a tune over at Natural Aspirations.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”