Japanese police in the Tokyo area cracking down on tuners

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
OriginalWheelman
Car: '15 Ford Focus Electric

redtop91 wrote:No way in hell I would pay a 10 grand ticket. **** that I'd leave the state before that. What a goddamn joke. Do they really expect people to pay that kind of money?
Yes. For the most part, the Japanese people are honorable. The embarrassment of the non-conforming sticker is prolly more or a punishment to the people than the fines.

Furthermore, just because you're not directly harming someone doesn't mean you're not hurting people. Emissions are there for a reason. They eliminate a lot of the garbage that irritates people with breathing problems. While 1 car is not going to turn the tables, the few million on the road will. Think about how many people you know who run w/o cats for "more hp." Theres almost no difference, and cumulatively you're hurting a lot of people.

SienSil80
Car: 88' R31 Skyline
85' DR30 Skyline
85' AE86 Trueno
65' RT40 Corona

OriginalWheelman wrote:
Yes. For the most part, the Japanese people are honorable. The embarrassment of the non-conforming sticker is prolly more or a punishment to the people than the fines.
Have you been here before? I'm sorry to say but this positive stereotype of the Japanese I've found to be quite the opposite after living here for quite some time. Depends on who you deal with though, but it is in no way like everyone seems to think it is. Believe me I could go on for hours about apalling experiences I've had/seen with peoples' behavior here. And as far as the sticker, I don't think many of them care about that so much as having to make the car conform within two weeks.

In regards to the people saying the cops are just being d!ck. While deaths and horrid crashes are rather rare in the car culture in the US (I use the word rare loosely), it is not so the case here. On a weekly basis you'll see a fully totaled, and i mean front of car in different location on the road totaled, cars on a weekly basis on the C1. To illustrate what i mean, please check out my friend's video he made when we went out on Christmas.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=UU_v1SEXrYo

please note 6:30 on the video to see an S14 who ate it into a wall. The cops are getting sick of it inside Tokyo and want to stop the frequency of the racing and crashes. They don't have much other crimes to solve and the power ranger cops are sort of dedicated to just roads so they have nothing else to do on top of that.

In my post I didn't plan for people to take the $10k as the average fine these cars face. Keep in mind that was the maximum extreme from what I was hearing. Like if you resisted the cops, tried to stop them from inspecting, and your car failed almost every point of shaken compliance. The goal of the cops was to decrease the amount of people racing through the highways at night causing crashes. If you were civil about the process, they weren't being rude and rather helpful if you acted..acted, like you wanted to get your car to conform.

But its not like where they care about swaps or mods, many/most mods avail here are compliant, if you dont use them incorrectly. For example I put a test pipe in so that was an obvious no no but say a HKS 2530 turbo kit on your GTR is A OK(pretty sure).

For what Neal was saying about the track events. It really depends which track you go to. $180 is on the steep end but it's probably cause it's on the famed Fuji Speedway. Smaller tracks like Mobara or Nikko are closer to $80-$150. In Option magazine, they have a section near the back called sokokai or something like that, meaning driving meet where they list all the events for the month in all the tracks in Japan with prices, what type of driving (drift, grip, lessons) and whether its a comp or not. I made a small vid when my friend came and visited in Jan at mobara where I have the beginning part of the vid showing that page

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=oVRzk2uvttg

Cars are expensive to own in Japan, if you're in Tokyo or surrounding areas(I'm in Yokohama and Neal's in Saitama just slightly north of Tokyo). Just like it's expensive to own in Manhattan or downtown San fran. Places like Gunma, Tochigi, car culture is bigger there cause parking is usually free, at your house, shaken can be done by yourself easier (only $600 max then), etc.

krimsonviper
Car: 2010 MS3 -PAID
2010 Mazda 3i Touring -Totaled
2006 Mazda 3i Sport -Totaled
1989 S13 -Sold
1990 S13 -Sold

Honorable? I think over the many years, that honor has turned into pride. I havent been to japan, but i've dealt with some japanese straight from the island, boy they sure do have alot of pride

and flatblackian, you speak the truth. i have a buddy of mine who's gotten away with ALOT, and i get busted for wearing my seatbelt, and they give me a ticket saying i dont. he drinks and drives, i cant wait til something happens to him to make him regret it, be it ticket or ending up top down in a ditch(alive, but hurting)

OriginalWheelman
Car: '15 Ford Focus Electric

But its the public vs private lives. They do everything we do, but they don't talk about it. It's a lot different living with a people as opposed to visiting them. I'll never know them as well as you who live there. From my understanding, it's the public exposure of it that makes it bad, not that you did it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

two faced and don't be rthe one to mention the other face or you are somehow the bad guy.

240Knightrider

Come to SC...they dont care what you have in your car...as long as you dont uh speed

datsun2401972
Car: 90 240sx coupe XE

Yah, Oklahoma rocks when it come to cars.

I remember when I wrecked my 240z, it spilled oil all over the road...

Of course the cops came...I was like "do I need to clean that up or something?"

They said something like"...we don't care..."

Then when the AAA driver came to pick up the car, the cops told me and my friends, "you got ya'll's story straight as to who was the driver?"

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

OriginalWheelman wrote:
Furthermore, just because you're not directly harming someone doesn't mean you're not hurting people. Emissions are there for a reason. They eliminate a lot of the garbage that irritates people with breathing problems. While 1 car is not going to turn the tables, the few million on the road will. Think about how many people you know who run w/o cats for "more hp." Theres almost no difference, and cumulatively you're hurting a lot of people.
Maybe. But there is still no way in hell I'd pay a 10 grand ticket. I'd throw it straight into the trash.

SienSil80
Car: 88' R31 Skyline
85' DR30 Skyline
85' AE86 Trueno
65' RT40 Corona

With a 10 grand ticket I'd just leave the country before the ticket was processed in the system then never come back.

Dittoz7
Car: 1997 2f0WtY SE!

redtop91 wrote:
Maybe. But there is still no way in hell I'd pay a 10 grand ticket. I'd throw it straight into the trash.
What?

I Would Frame That Sht!

Scuffed_ChukiCoupe
Car: Ka-t coupe

lol

VMPhil
Car: 2007 Volkswagen GTI

sbird1 wrote:This thread is a nice reminder of how easy we have it here in Georgia. No smog tests, no annoying cops busting your balls about mods. I feel really bad for you guys. I don't know what I'd do if it was anywhere near as bad here as it is there.

Modified by sbird1 at 12:29 AM 6/17/2008
that is something im glad to hear as i might be moving out there in about 2 years.

sbird1
Car: 2006 BMW 325i

Where are you planning on moving?

NSR_s30
Car: '99 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel, '71 Datsun 240Z

Wow thats crazy.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Good info, eh?

Looks like this thread has been one of the "most viewed" for the week - NICE WORK!

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

AZhitman wrote:Good info, eh?

Looks like this thread has been one of the "most viewed" for the week - NICE WORK!
Gotta let the boys back home know that we don't have it much easier over here, chief.

On another note, I scored a used RS*R exhaust for the Laurel from Okinawa today, thanks to themadscientist. He's getting his screamer back, as I won't be able to pass Sha-ken with that thing on the Laurel. I'll get some pictures of it up once I get it in.

CybeRise
Car: S14 Silvia

I don't know...Cali is bad but it's not that bad. As long as you know what areas to avoid.

To me this is mostly caused by the kids who feel they need to break the land speed record driving down Gale in city of industry. When I had my 240 and even before that when I had my more heavily tuned 280ZX-T I didn't get into any trouble where I couldn't lay the blame on myself.

Now I have a stock CL3.2 Acura and no one messes with me and I still get to smoke civics and preludes

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Well, should I now get stopped by one of those P.A. police inspections, I should be good to go. Swapped out the screamer for the stock O2 pipe today. I actually forgot how good my car sounded a year and a half ago...lol

RCG_Savage
Car: '92 240sx fastback

C33LaurelRacer wrote:You said $350 for a night of lessons and a Saturday full of laps? That is a steal right there.

$180 for maybe 15 laps, no help and you pay for everything else as well, not so much of a deal when you look at it from that perspective.
There is a racetrack here in austin that charges $300 for the beginners class that runs 9am-4pm with a one hour lunch break. After that you can go back during just about any weekend and pay $25 for a 20 minute session.

Ca_Silvia

$30 for 5 hours of track/drift time. hehe beat that

Return to “General Chat”