J30 shocks & struts

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
sw2765j30
Car: 1995 J30

Sorry it took so long to repond. I emailed you the chapters for the front and rear suspensions.

jertapper
Car: 1996 J30

sw2765j30 wrote:Sorry it took so long to repond. I emailed you the chapters for the front and rear suspensions.
Thanks. In the meantime I happened upon a link to all the J manuals.

http://www.phatg20.net/compone...d,11/

We'll see what problems I run into doing the shocks and struts in the coming week or two.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Shocks struts tend to last 4-6 years and 60,000 miles +- depending on local roads. Shocks are extremely weak long before they start to leak.

Failure to budget this just like tires, brakes, and other suspension rubber bushings leaves you under maintained.

My 318k Q is on the 5th set of replacements currently.

Never had a customer complain about ride improvement after replacement.

gaueight

So, how do youy find "Everything iinfiinity"? I googled it and got nothing.

J30inthe sun
Car: 1997 J30

gaueight wrote:So, how do youy find "Everything iinfiinity"? I googled it and got nothing.
Same place:

http://www.infinitipartsusa.co...=2007

Victor
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30T

My shocks continue to get worse, today for the first time I started to get wheel hop {I guess that what you call it) when I did some spirited acceleration on a bumpy road. The rear wheels seemed to be breaking loose from the road. I guess I may have to break down and spend the $875.70 just for the deluxe kit parts, even though I hate to put that much into a car with a market value of only around $2500 to $3000, which I was planing to sell just before the next timing belt change was due in 15,000 more miles. A few months ago there was a thread about a group buy for the shock/strut kits, does anyone know if that Scottsdale Infinity is still running that, or did it ever happen, and what was the discount price?

adamshive
Car: 1993 j30t

I hope this forum is still alive because I really need advice! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP! I have a wife and baby to support and I need my car to drive 45 miles to work!

I just bought a 93 J30t and it's really great to drive but the front struts are totally shot. When I lift the front end the passengers wheel goes up with it. The strut pretty much isn't doing anything.

I know that the struts are expensive to replace and I'm not so worried about the money (I'm not a rich jerk I just had a few bucks set aside for emergencies like this).

Anyway- what's the best course of action for replacing the front struts? Do I get just the inserts? The whole strut? The "koni 95-99 maxima inserts" ? Should I buy the "delux kit" and just give it all to a mechanic and have him do it? (on a side note would my mechanic be pissed if I tell him I'm ordering struts but in fact give him just the inserts? or is it assumed that you only replace the inserts?)

Does anyone know how to change just the inserts? Are there any resources or instructions online? Even if they aren't J30 specific...

Other than that this car is really nice! Thanks in advance if you can help!

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Diamond's J30 with the Koni inserts was not a daily driver, it was essentially a beautiful show car. He had to to do some custom pre fab work to get them to fit. I remember his original posts when he was doing the work and his impressions. He did report the handling wasn't as tight as the original.

The folks who are using s13's and trying out other things via fabrication are essentially experimenting.

The only thing that still bolts in and gives you the most bang for your buck especially if you use your J as a daily driver/commuter is OEM Nissan.

adamshive
Car: 1993 j30t

This might sound stupid but I have no clue...

On the J30 there is that "deluxe" kit available that has the front strut inserts, rear struts and a bunch of other stuff thrown in.

http://www.trademotion.com/par...=3221

Are these the kind that you need to drill out the bottom of the old strut housing and cut off the top with a hacksaw? or do they install with the big a$$ rusted-solid nut at the top of the housing? If so do they come with that new nut?

Just trying to figure out if it's worth trying to do myself or take to the mechanic. Thanks.

driverdriver

I would give them a call, ask to speak to Joe and see what the kit us all about.

swimshark
Car: Bamboo Mist 1994 Infiniti J30 Soon to RIPs

Pearl White 1993 Infiniti J30 Project Ghost

if you can get the shocks yourself, id say replace them yourself if you got the right tools and time. getting front strut off is a bit tricky and you will have to compress spring to replace shock. ive had to do this with putting lowering springs on. if you have any questions let me know.

msbrie
Car: 1994 J30t Gold Pkg

I, too, hope folks are still watching this thread. I'm not sure if bad struts are the problem with my 94 J30t with 178,000 miles. Up until last week I had an occasional low-pitched squeak in the front when going over a bump in the road or into a driveway. The strut rod bushings were replaced in October 2009. Squeak still present. Put the car in the garage for a month, and then last week sent it to my mechanic for another try. He replaced both front suspension sway bar links, but was not happy to find that the low-pitched squeak is still present - and now constant. Leaning on the front of the car and pushing down - there it is. Now, the squeak is incessant with every movement of the vehicle doing down even a smooth highway.

Opinions - is it the struts themselves, or cartridges? The car rides beautifully but the squeak is awful......

juiced up
Car: infiniti j30 96

i have a j30 96, and im having lots of trouble with my front struts and the dealer wants to much money for them... does anyone know if the struts for a 99 maxima will work? help!!!!

driverdriver

juiced up wrote:i have a j30 96, and im having lots of trouble with my front struts and the dealer wants to much money for them... does anyone know if the struts for a 99 maxima will work? help!!!!
Welcome to NICO

Koni many, many years ago use to make a strut that use to fit both the J30 and Maxima. They no longer do (although they do appear on Ebay from time-to-time). Unless you go the custom fabrication route, your only choice is either used or new Nisaan OEM.

For future reference don't post the same query in multiple threads (a.)its annoying (b.)your query won't be answered any faster.

j30burnout
Car: 95 j30

wats up guys (new to infiniti) i am having the hardest time looking for shock struts for my 95 j30,everytime i drive my j , it feels like i am going to tail whip any time i hit a bump ive been searching everywhere and it sucks! ive looked and searched but no luck , until recently seen the 95 nissan maxima strut and shocks look very similar, like i mentioned im new to the inifiniti. any help can be appreciated

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

sorry, burnout....OEM only way to go....

J30inthe sun
Car: 1997 J30

j30burnout wrote:wats up guys (new to infiniti) i am having the hardest time looking for shock struts for my 95 j30,everytime i drive my j , it feels like i am going to tail whip any time i hit a bump ive been searching everywhere and it sucks! ive looked and searched but no luck , until recently seen the 95 nissan maxima strut and shocks look very similar, like i mentioned im new to the inifiniti. any help can be appreciated
KYB 341012 for the 280zx rear struts bolt right in. I don't recall the year but there is a Thread on here about it.

EriCCirE
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”