J30 power steering pump suppliers

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
Chris Halkides
Car: photography, model cars, model airplanes

I have a 1997 Infiniti J30t with roughly 220,000 miles. The power steering pump is leaking. When I went to eBay, I found rebuilt units, but not OEM units. Some by Maval; some by Cardone; some by WD Express. The prices are all over the place, but the Cardone ones seem to be around $100, and the Maval or WD express ones between $200-400. I would like to keep the car for several more years. Does anyone have a recommendation? I was also thinking about holding onto the one in the car now (which is the original) and picking up a kit for rebuilding it, just to have a spare. Thoughts?
EDT
I would like to keep this car, but parts are getting more difficult to find.

macgiver

mac,hey Chris , I've been through most of what your talking with J30 p/st. Where is it leaking ? , around the back of case there's a 3 1/2" "case" O-ring ; front shaft seal leaking ? And (rarely) I believe an internal seal ,that would reduce available output pressure. Yes I would keep the OEM one from the car , because I had only the large case O-ring leaking .I found a kit and beware some may not have that large case O-ring,beware to check for it - that's one of THE leak points.Kit was $16 17 years ago. I would go ahead with buying -"what your talking about" -Tip: good mech. friend (and me) says cardone SH!@TTY. Now IF & when you do the rebuild you gotta be super meticulous, especially with about 30 little 3/8" square "impellers" which"ride" in groves in a round drum which forms the pump's action , just me but I PUT EVERY PART,no matter how small , plain-looking ,whatever IN EXACTLY THE SAME ORIENTATION HOW IT CAME !!!!!The little squares for example have an "orientation" - a side touching back, a side touching the "side-wall" , a side & DIRECTION (especially) with WEAR on it's edge that MUST be positioned SAME back together to prevent chewing up / self destruction! You can temporarily stick them in a "stretch" of "Silly-Putty" stood in a row!
Lastly , this was done @ 110kmi (now @ 260k) and after I would flush every 4 years with Mob1 ATF , so far 4 flushes and the pump and ESPECIALLY my rack have'nt so much as a drop of leakage with frequent enough fresh - quality fluid ! :lolling:
p.s. Do keep the old one, many good reasons , even if core is over $50 !! :yesnod

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

Did Infiniti of Scottsdale not have one? Infinitipartsusa.com

That's where I order all my OEM parts. They always consistently beat prices and gave me great customer service.

Chris Halkides

Hi macgiver and AlabamaDan,

Thank you very much. I am not sure exactly where the leak is, but very recently there seems to be more noise when I turn. Therefore, I will get right on this job. I have generally changed PS fluid (and other fluids) every two years, but I probably went a little longer this last time out.

I have often bought from Scottsdale in the past; I have yet to check with them on this item (I thought it was unlikely that they would have it owing to the age of the car), but I will do so shortly.

Chris Halkides

Infiniti NISSAN OEM 95-96 Q45 Power Steering Pump-Seal Kit 4959103U26

Scottsdale cannot supply one, although they thought that NAPA might be able to help. On eBay I found a seal kit that claims to be compatible with the J30, as well as the Q45 (see above). However, I don't immediately see how the same seal kit could work for both cars. I bought a Maval, but I will keep the old one and look for the right seal kit.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”