J30 Do-It-Yourself Work

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
bartguf1015
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30

HELP!!!!! The 100amp fuse in the engine compartment relay block was melted or soldered by the previous owner. I took it to my local parts store, the guys there are very helpful and usually correct in the suggestions to fix my problems. Unfortunatley the tried to pry it up, before they realized they needed to unscrew it. They showed me I needed to take of the nut and washer to disconnect the power to the relay-fuse block and also so it would lift up. The problems is I can lift it on the right side were I unattached the cable, but I don't know how to lift the other side so I can take it off and get the Phillips screw driver in there to take of the old 100amp and put the knew one on. I can pull back the black plastic outer cover a bit, but am unable to get the screw to turn. HELP!!! Also, what does the 100amp fuse-relay do and control?

AIC
Car: 93 j30

I recently bought a 93 J30 its got a little miss and has white smoke coming out of tail pipe smells likes its burning ritch,been told could b a burnt vale, any ideas

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Look at the underside of your oil fill cap, and see if it looks like creamed coffee. (Head Gasket)
Also do a compression test.(Burnt Valve)
If its running rich you would see black smoke.

jorvorskie
Car: 1997 infiniti j30

So on my j30 I need to replace my alternator. This is the first time ive ever replaced something on my car, so I dont have a lot of experience. Ive taken two hoses off (which spilled out a ton of antifreeze) and my splash guard. I tried to start under the car but its way to hard to maneuver. Can someone give me a step my step easier way to get it off???????????????????????????????????

PLEASE HELP SOMEONE

Mkiisupra

Youd be better off having someone who knows what theyre doing replace it. I completed this in about 3 hours in a hotel parking lot using only a curb stop to get enough room under the car, a 3/8ths ratchet, 3in" extension, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 17mm sockets. Based off your experience I suggest you dont try this yourself.

jorvorskie
Car: 1997 infiniti j30

Nice its taken me two days but i got off the old alternator and replaced it with the new one. Its mounted on but im just a little confused as to how im supposed to mount the screws on the back. The screw with the positive cable attached to it is the biggest question

Tiffany84
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

Hello Everyone! I have a questions about my J30. My car runs pretty well..it could run a little better especially on the gas mileage but lately its acting bad. My car starts up fine but sometimes when i go to pull off/back up and I give it gas it sputters and may cut off. Especially at a stop sign or traffic light. However once I get going there is no stopping her, shes a beast on the road. Next week im going to change spark plugs and put in a new air filter but incase those are not the issues could anyone please tell me whats possibly wrong? It only does it when acclerating from a COMPLETE stop. Idles even and seems fine with idling. Seems to be doing it worse since the weather has gotten warmer
Thanks

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

@Tiffany84

It could be any number of things. Are you using the right octane gas in the car? Premium gas is required in the J and not a recommendation? There is a sticky on the frontpage of the forum, that tells you how to retirieve codes from the car. Its best to start there.

fyi...when you do the sparkplugs change them only with OEM NGK brand ones. Anything else is known to cause engine issues.

Tiffany84

Thank you so much for the response. I always use 93 in the tank since it specified on the dash. I did change spark plugs, air filter and a coil pack. Still ran crappy. I bout some Rislone fuel system cleaner and ever since its been a whole lot better. No more cutting off. But if there is a problem I want to fix it and just not mask it. I changed the fuel filter about a year ago. Do you think its time for new one? My car didn't come equipped with an owners manual for the j30 so I'm learning as I read up on line. Air mass flow sensor was replaced about 3 years ago. No check engine light came up anytime I've had an issue with it cuttin off. I saw the sticky on how to pull the codes but doesn't really have a good diagram on how actually how to unmount it from the body of the car and I don't want. mess things up.

Mkiisupra

You only need to run 91 octane gas so that will save you some gas money. As for the fuel filter its most likely fine. You probably let something into the lines when it was changed last and was possibly taken care of by the injector cleaner.

As far as pulling the codes goes you just have to get under there and take things apart. Youll figure it out if you just try and pay attention. Its fairly simple.

Tiffany84

I have always wanted to try lower octane fuel to save a few bucks but when i ask around or research it I get a lot of mixed reviews. I will try pulling the codes the next time a situation pops up. next question ARE ENGINE CLEANERS SAFE FOR THE J30 ENGINE AND WHICH ONES DO YOU RECOMMEND? I wanted to possibly try one on my next oil change but hear mixed reviews. I hear Seafoam brand more than anything.

lost6feetdown
Car: 1994 Infiniti j30

Ok. Im not mechanical at all. I bought 94 j30. Was running perfect. I put a full can of sea foam into a full tank of premium gas. Everything was fine. Next day took daughter to school no prob. On way home it began to spit and sputter then it all changed. Idles very rough runs rough engine light stays on brake light stays on. Im lost heard I could have fouled a plug. I just don't know. Recently lost my job so I have no money at all. I guess I'd like to know how to check the plugs. I can follow directions pretty good and just need to do eveything I can do that cost no money first. Any ideas or directions would be helpful. Thanks.

whiskyij30
Car: 1997 Infiniti J30

sometimes when you use a fuel system cleaner like sea foam (especially if it hasn't been done for a long time) some of the gunk that has built up in the tank and lines will loosen and go right to the filter and clog it up. I would try changing the fuel filter first and see if that helps

Amponsah
Car: 1995 Infinity J30

I have a 1995 J30 that I've had for over a year now without any problems at all. Now for some reason my ABS system continuously runs even after the car is turned off and I have to unplug the fuse for it every time I park the car in order for it not to run my battery down. Also not long ago it started to bog down and shut off when I first start the engine but if I put my foot on the gas after starting it runs just fine without any signs of any problems. Anyone know of these problems and how I can fix it please??

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

ABS Issue:

Your ABS module has failed and its leaving the ABS pump on, thus draining your battery. Open the hood. Look along the driver's side engine wall. There is a black box. Gently unclip the lid that sits on top of the box. Once you have the lid open, you'll notice a plug and play module. Pull straight up. The module will come out.

You have two options:

(1.)If you want your ABS to work, you can take that module to a NIssan dealer and see if they can find you another one.
(2.)If you can live without ABS, simply put the lid back on the black box. The ABS light will forever be on your dashlights. Since this module is what is draining your battery, you won't have the run down battery problem anymore.

Engine Issue:

Do you take a lot of short trips without the engine fully warming up? This explains your problem. Your engine is flooding. This why your engine bogs down or shuts off. Foot on the gas clears the flood, but causes engine damage. the VG30DE engine is an early 90's performance engine which was designed to run long distances fully warmed up. It's not a short trip engine.

alienhead626
Car: 93 infiniti j30

Rack and pinion help...removal im stuck

alienhead626
Car: 93 infiniti j30

Removing rack and pinion, do I need to raise tranny, taking hardlines off was not enough still no room....I have a 93 j30

ahodges65
Car: 1995 J30t Infiniti

We just bought a J30t that has a electrical problem. The previous owners daughter went to get in it and the alarm went off and has not stopped. Will not reset and had to remove the 80amp fuse to quiet the horn. With that none of the dash electronic work (i.e. radio, air, dash). Disconnected neg terminal on the battery didn't work. Finally located anti-theft control and disconnected. Went through the "FIX LIST" again but the horn comes back on as soon as we put the fuse back in.

Any Idea.

Thanks for any input.

rgstealey
Car: 97 Infiniti J30

ahodges65 wrote:We just bought a J30t that has a electrical problem. The previous owners daughter went to get in it and the alarm went off and has not stopped. Will not reset and had to remove the 80amp fuse to quiet the horn. With that none of the dash electronic work (i.e. radio, air, dash). Disconnected neg terminal on the battery didn't work. Finally located anti-theft control and disconnected. Went through the "FIX LIST" again but the horn comes back on as soon as we put the fuse back in.

Any Idea.

Thanks for any input.
Could be a stuck theft warning relay, horn relay, bad diodes in between the circuits that may cause incorrect electrical flow, or an internal short in the module. Are you handy with a digital multimeter?

dcarrd
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

Tiffany84 wrote:Hello Everyone! I have a questions about my J30. My car runs pretty well..it could run a little better especially on the gas mileage but lately its acting bad. My car starts up fine but sometimes when i go to pull off/back up and I give it gas it sputters and may cut off. Especially at a stop sign or traffic light. However once I get going there is no stopping her, shes a beast on the road. Next week im going to change spark plugs and put in a new air filter but incase those are not the issues could anyone please tell me whats possibly wrong? It only does it when acclerating from a COMPLETE stop. Idles even and seems fine with idling. Seems to be doing it worse since the weather has gotten warmer
Thanks
mass air flow sensor connector is corroded, either clean the pins inside or cut it off and splice a new connector on

J30boy31
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30

How to replace j30 fan clutch?

Turkeypantz

1977 Datsun 280z

Previous:
1981 Celica Gt
1982 Prelude
1984 Brat
1982 280zx N/A
1990 Integra 4dr 5spd
1993 Maxima GXE
1984 Celica GT
1986 MK2 Supra P-type

Fan clutch removal

I remove the fan clutch and fan blade as an assembly. I can't remember if the fan shroud needs to be removed. Eye it up and determine if the assembly can clear the shroud, once the intake tubing is removed from the upper radiator-support area. To remove the fan shroud, scroll to the bottom of this comment.

1. Unplug the mass air flow sensor and remove the intake tubing assembly (air filter lid to the throttle bodies)
2. Remove the splash shield that covers the bottom of the engine bay. ......if you still have one
3. Use a 10mm box end wrench to loosen the fan clutch nuts from the water pump. To keep the pump from spinning, wedge a flat head screw driver between 2 nuts. Don't fully remove any nuts until they're all loose. You don't want to wedge or pry on any threads with the screw driver.
4. Loosen the top alternator-bolt (pivot point)
5. Loosen the alternator/water pump belt via the tensioner bolt mechanism under the alternator. This is so you can properly and evenly tighten the fan clutch nuts, without the belt pushing the wp pulley and giving you a false sense of torque.

FAN SHROUD REMOVAL (if required)

Remove the radiator cap.

Drain 1 quart of coolant: At the bottom of the radiator, remove the drain plug. Black plastic Phillips head screw. (Counter clockwise)
........they can snap if they have been overtightened and the radiator is older. An alternative method is to remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator a little (not completely removed). Just to drain approximately 1 quart of coolant.

Reach down and un-clip the bottom piece of the shroud. It's the strip of plastic that circles around the fan.

Remove the upper radiator hose from the radiator.

Remove the top 10mm screws that attach the shroud to the top of the radiator. Lift the shroud upward past the fan blade.

Quicksj30

How do you take off the crankshaft pullie
bolt

Quicksj30

How to take off the crankshaft pullie bolt having hard time getting it off

J30ZX

Seems like the thread to ask.. okay, so, while I decide and go back and forth on whether to sell this car or keep it.. IS there a fuel pump access door under the back seat or in the trunk?

Or does the tank just get dropped and they do it that way. ?

macgiver

Where are you at , I may offer you a couple hundred for it

Edton97
Car: 1996 Infiniti J30

I have a problem with my O2 sensor 2 in bay 1, can anyone tell me the location of this sensor? :gotme

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”