Izento's CA18DET Build Thread

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Izento
Car: RPS13

New oil pump!

Cleaning process with Simple Green cleaning solution. I also had to drill out 2 screws for the baffle because they were really stuck on there, that's why I like bolts with screw heads on them, so you have 2 chances to undo it.

All cleaned up.

Inside of the valve covers cleaned. I couldn't reach the exhaust side all the way, the part which connects to the pcv system is a b****.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

If you take those 6 screws out, and then tap on the raised part of the valve cover on the outside, that whole raised part will come off. It's a separate part on the exhaust side, but it's not like that on the intake side. Just make sure you clean the mating surface off well and RTV it back together when you're done or it will leak oil.

Izento

float_6969 wrote:If you take those 6 screws out, and then tap on the raised part of the valve cover on the outside, that whole raised part will come off. It's a separate part on the exhaust side, but it's not like that on the intake side. Just make sure you clean the mating surface off well and RTV it back together when you're done or it will leak oil.
Thanks. I saw 6 large screws and thought it might separate it, but I think it would be the same effort for them to paint if it was together. We'll see. I'm headed to the powdercoat shop today.

Izento

So turns out that they weren't sure if they wanted it separated or not, hahaha. I separated it at their shop (one screw stripped but I still barely got it out) and then they saw the baffling inside and decided they might just keep that housing on. Just wait till you guys see what color I chose! I'll tell you one thing, it's green ^_^

Also, as a side note, I got my engine in the machine shop. Flywheel resurface, bore, micro polish crank, piston ring filing, balance and rod resize for ARP bolts. Btw, no one ever told me that the rods should be resized to accept the ARP bolts! No one talks about that s*** on the internet when they say they got ARP rod bolts. But that's the internet and life, tacking on about $100 more to the engine build. My build is pretty much at a pause right now as I wait for the shops to finish their things. I still have the turbo to extract from my manifold and sell. I don't really want to sell it to another CA enthusiast, as I don't recommend that turbo at all, so it'll probably go on Zilvia.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

If you are having it powdercoated, you want the covers stripped to the castings. Powdercoaters usually sandblast parts before coating and that sand gets trapped in the baffles. One of the magazine builds got destroyed that way.

Izento

themadscientist wrote:If you are having it powdercoated, you want the covers stripped to the castings. Powdercoaters usually sandblast parts before coating and that sand gets trapped in the baffles. One of the magazine builds got destroyed that way.
Never thought of that. I might just get that part hot tanked or pressure wash it.

float_6969

Yea, do NOT let the powdercoaters strip your covers for you. Every one I've ever talked to just says, "Oh, we've been blasting them for years and never had a problem". I had one set of covers done that way. It took me HOURS of washing to get the sand out of everything, and I ended up ruining the powdercoating on the exhaust side because it got up in the baffles and I couldn't wash it out, so I had to take it apart. You need tell them you DO NOT WANT THEM SAND BLASTED, but chemically peeled and wire brushed. If they balk tell them you don't care. They'll probably charge you more, that's fine. If they won't do it, then do it yourself and then drop them off.

As for the rod bolts, talk to the machine shop again. Make sure they actually needed it. My machine shop told me the same thing, but once they actually installed them and checked them, it didn't change them at all. I verified this with my own bore gauge. I had a spare set of rods and got the same results in them as well.

Izento

Courtesy of Seattle Powder Coat. I am utterly astonished by how amazing this looks. I'll stop typing and let you just look at the pics :)

I've ran my finger through the inside and it doesn't have any residue, I gave them another call to express my concern about blasting on the inside before they did the job. I'm still going to wash these twice just to make sure I've got any hidden residue out.

float_6969

Be really thorough with all of the threads. That's where I had the most trouble getting the sand out.

kings13

looks good. did you pull the covers off the baffles inside the valve covers yet?

kings13

years ago we discussed the need to resize conrods when upgrading to ARP's.

Fastazz240
Car: 1995 240 SX, 93 Vert, 95 Hardbody 4X4

just went through your build thread and honestly i am thinking of doing a CA build as i just picked up a hatch for cheap. Gotta finish my vert first though. keep up the good work

Izento

kings13 wrote:looks good. did you pull the covers off the baffles inside the valve covers yet?
Yeah, I pulled those off and had two screws stripped on the baffle, but they were in decent spots, so I just secured the rest of the bolts and called it good. The baffle doesn't have much pressuring it anyways.
Fastazz240 wrote:just went through your build thread and honestly i am thinking of doing a CA build as i just picked up a hatch for cheap. Gotta finish my vert first though. keep up the good work
Thanks man. It's a fun motor but just like the SR20, it's old as f***, so s*** keeps breaking, lol.

Finally got the block and crank back from the machine shop!

If you look closely, the crank has been chamfered.

I guess when they were weight matching, the rods were off by 8 grams! Holy s***! I also had to get the rods resized (I don't know if that's actually true at all or not). New freeze plugs and resurfaced the block. I wouldn't have resurfaced the block since I'm using an oem gasket, but I knew that this block has never been resurfaced, so I figured might as well. More news later after the engine is put back together and installed.

Izento

Oh and if anyone was still unsure, the L20 ARP (part # 202-6001) rod bolts do in fact work. The sticky should be updated to reflect this.

float_6969

FAQ updated. Thank you!

Izento

So, I'm buying 2 catch cans from Saikou Michi and I would like to get some opinions on what size ports I should get. 3/8" or 1/2" or even 5/8"? I don't really know if bigger is better in this case.

float_6969

When it comes to the PCV system, bigger is better. That being said, sizing them larger than the ports on the valve covers won't gain you much either.

Izento

float_6969 wrote:sizing them larger than the ports on the valve covers won't gain you much either.
You read my mind, lol.

Izento

Ordered the catch cans. I guess it takes them about a full month to make, as most are custom ordered, like mine. I decided to go with 1/2" OD. Now, the plan was to go with an AN insert for the cam cover, steel braided lines and placing a sintered bronze fuel filter before the inlet of the catch can, but I'd need to buy two and I don't have the money to drop on that right now, so I'll just be doing the AN conversion to dress up the engine a little. I've never done my own AN line building, so this will be interesting.

float_6969

Nice!

Izento

The car is up and running!

A couple of things:

I need to bleed the clutch. When the new clutch was installed, the pressure isn't enough from the slave cylinder in order to sometimes disengage the clutch, scary s***. Driving on the freeway and then I can't take it out of gear. My old clutch, I didn't bleed it properly, but the Spec pressure plate wasn't stiff, so it wasn't a problem. Anyways, doing that tomorrow and taking out the clutch damper box. I also need to rehook my gauges up. After that, I'll be doing a couple road trips to get miles on the motor, but all in all, the car is running good besides the clutch. I'll have more updates, maybe even a picture of the car, as I don't have many pics of the actual car on here.

Future plans:
Install catch cans
Rebuild Differential
Install the rest of my subframe collars
bucket seat (I'm doing higher speed runs and drifts, so at this point, it's actually effecting my driving style in order for me to stay in the seat)

As a side note:

I was talking to my shop mechanic and he gave me advice to block the crankcase tube. I guess the couple of CAs that he's built, the catch can kept filling up, so he blocked the crankcase and it solved the problem. Another solution would be to cut that crankcase tube and attach a larger line on there and it would probably solve the problem the same way.

Anyways, more updates to come. Sorry, no pictures this time.

float_6969

Do NOT block that tube! think about it. Once that's blocked off, where are the crankcase gasses going to go? You've sealed off the crankcase, and they're going to look for a way out. The only option will out to blow out the dipstick, blow out the front and rear main seals, and to go up through the oil drains. If crankcase gasses are going UP the oil drains, the oil will have a very hard time going DOWN them. Then oil pools in the head and you get spun bearings.

Absolutely DO install a larger line on it. Either run it to a catch can, or back up to the head. I did notice that running it straight to a catch can made it fill the can faster. Running it up to the head seemed to allow most of the oil to get drained back down into the sump.

Izento

I promise I'm not dead.

Got my Saikou Michi catch cans in. The color is beautiful, very close to my valve covers but with less flake. I also purchased some AN line fittings to make it look nice when I attach it to the valve cover.

float_6969

Nice!

Sideways s12
Car: 84 turbo s12

Wow that's a nice color!

Izento

Always have kill switches, for the love of god. Recently I had my car broken into. Now, if you read earlier in the thread, you would have noticed that my tools were stolen from my storage locker, which is in my garage. I no longer keep my tools in there for this reason (which makes it a b**** everytime I need to work on my car, I have to carry my 40 lb tool box down 5 flights of stairs to work on my car), had my oem cams stolen, Greddy boost controller (half of it, so they can't even really resell it). Another time, I had my radio stolen, like completely, deck face, actual radio unscrewed neatly and my glove box riffled through. Just this week I had my car broken into again, they took my garage opener and some spare change (like $5) in my ashtray. I didn't think much of it other than maybe a crackhead wanting some change.

Here's were this is interesting. My garage in enclosed for my apartment, with all tenant parking inside. The only way to get in is by hopping a large wooden fence, which is easy enough. That s*** thing is that my car is usually the only one targeted because of how it stands out and how old it is. So just today, I go to get a keycard (which is now stolen, which they have no f*** clue what it accesses) that I left in my car, and there I find the scene of the crime. My door is cracked open, battery is dead, ignition switch is cracked, steering column plastics on the floor and my glove box was gone through (which had my FC commander and face deck....which they didn't take). I have multiple kill switches and that is the only thing that saved me. I've always been paranoid about security, ever since I lived in some of the cities with the highest car theft in the country (because cops don't do s*** about it). I even called my apartment manager and asked about the security of my apartment to see if it could be upgraded, possibly by being fully enclosed (which he laughed at and said the owners are cheap and wouldn't do it, f*** that guy. I doubt he's even going to talk to them). The only defense you can do is kill switches, alarms and a good ol' fashion gun if things get serious. So if you think a garage is a deterrent, it's not enough. Install kill switches....multiple.

I'm going to get a Viper/Clifford 2-way alarm installed tomorrow, if I can figure out how to redo my key cylinder (they broke the metal tee, coming from the cylinder to the ignition switch). I never thought it would be a problem since my car is basically impossible to steal, unless it's towed, and even then it would be a b**** to get a tow truck in there. I think an alarm is just a good idea to prevent further damage to your ride, and to also catch the perpetrators.

As of right now, it's 1 AM, I called the cops at 12 PM yesterday......and they still haven't come out here for the police report.

float_6969

There's almost nothing in this world that I have a genuine hatred for, with the exception of thieves and pedophiles. Worthless stinking trash that deserve no humanity in their treatment. Grrrrr!

Izento

float_6969 wrote:There's almost nothing in this world that I have a genuine hatred for, with the exception of thieves and pedophiles. Worthless stinking trash that deserve no humanity in their treatment. Grrrrr!
I concur! There's just something about thieves, trying to take what they can't earn, that irks me. Not only that, but when someone steals a car, they have no consideration that the owner may use that for transportation to support himself and his family. A lot of times, if a person's car breaks down, they go through a ton of trouble to get to work, miss out on hours, can't take their kids to daycare or school, and after all that, they still have to pay for repairs, or in this case, pay to get a whole new car. In the grand scheme of things, a car is one of the most messed up things someone can steal from another.

Anyways, I got a new ignition cylinder. I also learned how easy it is to really steal one of these cars. I'm not going to describe my installation or post pictures, cause there's no need for that content to be spread throughout the internet. All said, the car is running again, more kill switches installed, still more kill switches planned for tomorrow and also headed to Car Toys to get an alarm installed. I always know that alarms don't really stop car theft, that's why I've never thought of getting one, since they are easily disabled. Since this incident, I've decided it's worth the money to get one, so that a thief will stop and prevent further damage to a car that wont even move. I'll also be able to check on it if ever the alarm goes off and I'm near. I had thought about a camera, but many of the cameras that I've found have a terrible recording delay (only saves the file every 15 seconds), so theoretically, a thief could unplug the camera and it would never catch footage of them. I also can't install one through the walls, since I don't own this building, so my power cord would most likely be exposed. Lastly, the mounting of it is too low, that even I (5'5" guy) could reach the ceiling and knock it down.

Sideways s12
Car: 84 turbo s12

Damn that's s***. I know the feeling of when someone breaks into your s*** it's very frustrating. I had one car stolen which is a shock to me because nobody wants an s12 lol and it was stock. Then some a$$ decided to break the window of the car that is in my sig But I know who did that and they got there's the day I moved out of the complex. Kill switches are a good idea I have one on my s12 but need to install a couple more when I get it running....

Izento

Installed an NRG hub a couple of days ago to replace my Momo hub. If you look at the pic, there's a big reason why NRG hubs are more secure. The momo hub has a huge space (if you tear off that rubber ribbed cover), which has 4 spines which run up from the steering shaft to the hub attachment to connect a steering wheel. These spines have gaps large enough to fit a metal rod, which someone can use to turn the vehicle with ease. The Momo hub basically negated the need for a steering wheel and also in-turn negated my NRG hub lock. Now, with the NRG hub and hub lock, the only way to steer the car is by hand or possibly vice grips, further up on the shaft (I'm not even sure if that is possible).

The downsides are those who may like the steering position of the Momo hub. I've noticed that the NRG hub is 1/2 as small as the Momo hub. This creates a different dynamic of seating position, with my arms being extended further, but my seating position having no change, since my legs haven't grown any shorter (hopefully). I had to mess with my seat for a bit to find a better position, but overall, I feel like the smaller hub is nicer and extends my reach, which also extends my rotation of the wheel, since my arms are less cocked and confined. This is all personal preference and honestly should be considered if you're reading this thread and trying to decide on which one to get, especially the security aspect of it (which is the reason why most people get a hub and quick release).

As for the alarm, I've decided on taking it to a small business around the Seattle neighborhood instead of Car Toys. This business solders connections and would also do the install differently than the typical Car Toys install. The alarm I'm getting is decent, not Viper price , but good enough for just being an alarm, without power locks or remote start, but it comes with a backup battery. I've also heard mixed reviews of Viper, but mostly good things about the alarm I'm getting, Code Alarm.

I've also decided to install my own gps tracking system (with backup battery), so if anyone ever decides to tow it, they got about 24 hours to chop it up before they get arrested for a very long time. This will cost far less than LoJack ($700 one time cost), if I don't own the car for more than 20 years, haha.

I'm going a little overboard with the gps tracking, since my car would be a b**** to tow from where it rests, but for $36 a month, I figure why not? If the same thieves come back, they should know that they can't move the car under it's own power, so the only choice is to tow it, even though it would be difficult and honestly, my car is not that badass to warrant a risky tow job and anyone selling CA18 parts would be immediately found, because no one owns them here and no one wants them except you guys, so my bases are pretty much covered, lol. Thinking about it, we kind of have it good when it comes to this misfortune, don't we? Anyways, more updates after the installs.

This has also put back my install of tie rods, angle kit and catch cans, so be on the lookout for those posts soon.

As a side note, I got a new boss, and he's a car guy! He owns this!
Well, that's not the exact picture, but same car/colors. Anyways, I'm stoked because he said we're getting a new company car to chauffeur people around and I know it's not going to be a piece of s*** Cadillac CTS. More on that when it comes in.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”