IVI or Japanese Classics?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
nitrous36

Ive done all my research and narrowed it down to these two importers.

Both are great importers but my dilemma is this:

I would prefer to use Japanese Classics because they do good work and are much closer. Im in north carolina. I could go there and view the car in a day. But the only hang up is they are not taking requests or finding cars for customers yet. They currently only sell what they find. This means I'd have to leave it to chance and hope that they find what Im looking for. And if/when they find what Im after, hope I beat any other potential buyers that may be waiting. It would be a waiting game of hope and chance. At least Id know that whatever they get will be quality.

International Vehicle Importers is my second choice. They also do great work and they have Tyndago -Sean Morris :D. I spoke to someone there the other day and get the impression they will try to find what youre looking for, and if they happen to find it they will even store it for a fee until its legal to bring in. Buuut they are much further away(Cali). I couldnt get there practically and timely to view the car (this means flight $$$). This also means delivery fees because I cant just drive the car back. Its not good to buy a car unseen or on pics alone. My fear is Id take delivery, and when it arrives discover the pics were a lie and the car is a rust bucket, wrecked, or has a knocking engine.

Who should I choose? Any helpful advice about who to choose would be greatly appreciated. :)

nitrous36

Also to add. I considered Rivsu in florida which is also close. I could more easily view the car and drive it back. I spoke to them and they will also do the same as the guys at IVI. However Ive heard equally good and shady things about them.

2_Liter_Turbo
Car: _________________
'96 S14 Coupe: SR20VET
'90 R32 TH1 GTR: RB26DETT
'92 S13 Fastback: SR20DET
'11 V36 Sedan: VQ25HR
'06 GMT800 2500HD: LBZ Duramax

I bought my car via Rivsu only because at the time, they were the only ones who had a TH1 GTR available. I think my experience wasn't bad, but it wasn't stellar either. I realize the car is old and there would be flaws, but I feel that the flaws it did have were apparent enough in person that they should have been disclosed. But because they were easily hidden in pictures, they weren't. Mostly minor cosmetic stuff (bad respray paint job of OEM color & falling apart interior panels), but still annoying. I was also charged with all the import fees and such when they actually acquired the car from a military service member who imported the car already via the military. So I wasn't too happy about that. I didn't find out until after I already had the car when the previous owner contacted me via facebook. The car is in pretty good shape overall though, and I love it, so I'm not terribly worried about the overall experience, but figured I'd throw it out there. I will say that when I told them that the A/C was not working (it was advertised that it was), they did send me a small gift card to help with repairs. Not enough to cover it, but whatever. At least they attempted to rectify the situation when a lot of places would have told me to pound sand.

I have zero experience (first or second hand) with IVI, so I have no comment on them.

For Japanese Classics, a few local AZ people including a friend of mine, have had terrible experiences with them. Mainly selling cars that have a lot of underlying issues but look good on the outside. After a lot of back and fourth, they did buy back a friend of mine's car though.

nitrous36

Thanks for the detailed reply. That is the kind of info Im looking for. I know everyones experience with the companies mentioned will vary on an individual case by case basis. Ive heard good and bad about rivsu.

Japanese classics seems to be generaly good. I havent heard anything bad about them yet. They seem to try to work with everyone before and after buying which is good. They will pick up people who've flown in to visit from the airport. A nice courtesy they offer, but dont have to do. Something I havent heard of any dealer doing.

Havent really heard much about IVI, but what I have heard about was good and somewhat questionable. But mostly good. A pro is they have Sean Morris which is one thing they have going for certain. Ive been following the whole skyline deal and most things import related since 04. His name is pretty known. I know that at least whatever he finds will be A1 as far as paperwork and legal issues go.

Really who ever I deal with, Id like to meet in person. Being farther away makes that harder but doesnt mean I wont consider them. My fear is Id buy something from IVI or else where, then later find a super clean example posted at Japanese Classics who is near by and more convenient. However buying from them could only happen on the chance they decide to buy and import what youre looking for as they are not taking requests. That could mean waiting much longer.

ericherm1
Car: 1997 Pickup XE 2.4L 4x4 Single cab short box
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR
1991 240sx SE SR20DET + S13 Silvia Front end swap (Sold)

Just be really, really careful. They all have sold rusty cars and that is what the buyer needs to be prepared for. Inventory is held outdoors for months and months in Japan so cars rust. To find one with little to no rust you need to have a scout find you one or you do the leg work.

If you want to see a great example of how they cover up rust check out Montu Motors. I almost bought one from them and so glad I didn't. Their current inventory is really really bad. They had to have them resprayed to make the outside look nice for anyone to give them a second look. Now this is not a bash against them but good inventory helps reputation. Also be very very weary about aftermarket speedos. Most importers will claim the mileage is accurate and 99.99999% of the time they are dead wrong.

Do you your research and ask for a crap load of pictures, especially of the undercarriage.

nitrous36

Oh yes this I plan to do. Thanks for mentioning that. Im ok with the usual surface rust that occurs underneath. As long as the rust isnt heavy and anything corroded through. Im going to try and avoid island cars like Okinawa and try to stay to mainland Japan.

No doubt they do things to touch up or hide blemishes. Ive seen dealers use duplicolor interior paint to hide nasty carpet stains instead of cleaning them properly. I work at a stealership and know the common practice with used cars, which is buy the cheap of the cheapest parts possible to get it on the lot.

Does anyone have a hands on experience with IVI? I may consider them. The guy I spoke with was polite and knowledgeable and with Tyndago there I dont think paper work, registration/titles or scams are an issue. But I havent seen or heard anything concrete about them.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I've done business with IVI and JPC Trade, wouldn't have an issue recommending them.

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

Which car are you going to get? By that I mean make and model.

nitrous36

Right now first I wan to get a Toyota Mark II tourer V (JZX90). Then later an R32 once the hype and demand dies down or an R33 when they become legal.

October 92 is the earliest production date for the JZX90. So Im hoping I can find one and import it by the end of the year or early next year.

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

You'll have to wait till 2020 or 21 for the r33 gtr

nitrous36

Oh yeah I know. Im just saying regarding a skyline it will be a 32 when the high demand dies and prices level or a r33 when theyre legal. But for now my sights are set on a JZX90 :D

Its not stock, but a good idea of what they look like.

M35Squirrel

Just to throw another option out there for you. Shinku Classics is relatively new but getting good reviews, it's a local establishment to where I live.
https://www.facebook.com/ShinkuClassicsLLC/

ericherm1
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR

nitrous36

Thanks will check them out. I decided I may try IVI over japanese classics, but will definitely give the guys at shinku a call monday.

nitrous36

Okay today I called the guys at IVI and spoke to Brian then sent him an email with what Im looking for. Hopefully they will start looking and keep an I out. Wish me luck guys. :biggrin:

On a different note, Im split between getting an R32 or waiting later for an R33. I like them both but the 33s are rarer and will surely be higher when they become legal. As well as harder to find.

The R33 was the car me and I think most people were introduced to when first learning about the GTR in the 90s. So I expect the hype around it to be much worse than the R32s were. Having said that, Ive come to like the blander less recognizable appearance of the R32s. But still like the updated interior of the 33.

2_Liter_Turbo

I personally like the R32's looks and size. The R33 is a much bigger car (and heavier). The suspension design is better and of course the updated interior and newer engine. But you need to get the car that makes you the happiest, that's what matters in the end!

nitrous36

I sent an email with the provided info but never got a confirmation. So how do I know Im accounted for and they are looking? Do I just leave it to time and wait until they find something and reply saying they have?

M35Squirrel

If you put down a deposit, they will likely pay more attention. But still best to keep an eye out yourself. Just search Goo-net or auctions routinely and let them know if you spot something.

nitrous36

Got it. Thanks.

nitrous36

Other than goo-net and japan partner, what are some other good sites to look through?

JPC TRADE

nitrous36 wrote:Other than goo-net and japan partner, what are some other good sites to look through?
Try making your way over to our website and register. JPC TRADE

We're an auction based export company in Tokyo and frequently export to the USA and Canada. Skylines are one of our specialties, among others.

Robert

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

^ This.

So far, I'm liking what I see from JPC.

nitrous36

I have registered to you guys about 2 weeks ago and do far I like what Ive been seeing also. Ive been looking fot a JZX90 and recently spotted one on your site in the color I wanted.But it was wrecked.

My eyes are wide open though and I check regularly.

nitrous36

Other than Japan Partner, Goo-net and JPC where else can I look?

2_Liter_Turbo

I've heard a lot of good things about Driver Motorsports. No personal experience, but 3 of the local dudes who are part of my local Skyline Club had an awesome experience.

http://www.drivermotorsports.com/

nitrous36

THX. Sorry I dont mean U.S. importers, I meant other good auction and export companies based in Japan. Im using IVI stateside, but Im also looking as well in case I see a car they dont.

nitrous36

Quick question. Someone suggested here a while back that you put down a deposit to get an importer more motivated and serious about finding a car. I went back and tried this with IVI but unfortunately they dont take deposits unless they have what you want in inventory or have found what you wanted. Thats what one of the guys there said to me when I asked/offered. So outside of calling them occasionally to check up or share a potential car I found for them to look at, how can I be sure that they are looking. I just get the feeling that they arent looking or really serious about searching.

Ive told them that Im really looking and serious about buying, and even offered to put down $$$ once to show Im committed/no flake. And they reassure they are looking. But words are words.

AZhitman
Administrator

Personally, I wouldn't go with any company that made a deposit a requirement for just searching.

I like the way JPC does it. Look at the auctions, find a car you want, THEN send a deposit, and your high bid, and wait.

nitrous36

If I do it that way, then its on me to do all the paper work and legal red tape to get the car here. Thats where I wanted IVI to come in. If I read it right, JPC only exports. Then its on you to figure out dealing with customs, registration,taxes and other fees.

AZhitman
Administrator

Hmmm. Give 'em a shout and make sure.

On a side note, don't deal with anyone that messes with grey-market cars. I spent some time on the BookFace today, learnin' some fanboi idiots about importation. It's amazing how many "experts" there are on FB, spouting off about stuff they're clueless about.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”