IVI or Japanese Classics?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

nitrous36 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:38 pm
Okay today I called the guys at IVI and spoke to Brian then sent him an email with what Im looking for. Hopefully they will start looking and keep an I out. Wish me luck guys. :biggrin:

On a different note, Im split between getting an R32 or waiting later for an R33. I like them both but the 33s are rarer and will surely be higher when they become legal. As well as harder to find.

The R33 was the car me and I think most people were introduced to when first learning about the GTR in the 90s. So I expect the hype around it to be much worse than the R32s were. Having said that, Ive come to like the blander less recognizable appearance of the R32s. But still like the updated interior of the 33.
Actully...the R33 is thought of as the red headed step child. They're probably still going to go up in price, because, GT-R. The 33R is my favorite and I owned one for 7 years when I lived in Japan. I'll maybe get another one in the future if I don't go with a muscle car or something else. Kinda torn...lol

Also, I wouldn't say the 33 is rarer, though. if I remember right, there were only 3 sub models of the GT-R. Standard and V-Spec and the LM. Mine was the V-Spec.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

AZhitman wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:09 pm
Hmmm. Give 'em a shout and make sure.

On a side note, don't deal with anyone that messes with grey-market cars. I spent some time on the BookFace today, learnin' some fanboi idiots about importation. It's amazing how many "experts" there are on FB, spouting off about stuff they're clueless about.
Don't you mean black-market?

I thought grey-market were legal imports?

I read through your posts on that thread I tagged you in...good stuff. LOL!

nitrous36

Gold Digger wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:01 am
nitrous36 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:38 pm
Okay today I called the guys at IVI and spoke to Brian then sent him an email with what Im looking for. Hopefully they will start looking and keep an I out. Wish me luck guys. :biggrin:

On a different note, Im split between getting an R32 or waiting later for an R33. I like them both but the 33s are rarer and will surely be higher when they become legal. As well as harder to find.

The R33 was the car me and I think most people were introduced to when first learning about the GTR in the 90s. So I expect the hype around it to be much worse than the R32s were. Having said that, Ive come to like the blander less recognizable appearance of the R32s. But still like the updated interior of the 33.
Actully...the R33 is thought of as the red headed step child. They're probably still going to go up in price, because, GT-R. The 33R is my favorite and I owned one for 7 years when I lived in Japan. I'll maybe get another one in the future if I don't go with a muscle car or something else. Kinda torn...lol

Also, I wouldn't say the 33 is rarer, though. if I remember right, there were only 3 sub models of the GT-R. Standard and V-Spec and the LM. Mine was the V-Spec.

If I remember right. Sean posted production numbers and only 16k were produced compared to 43k R32s. And youre right. The R33 was the least liked, but seems to be popular among americans. Its the GTR we got to know first through Gran Turisom and F&F. Plus we like our stuff big lol so dont mind the extra size/weight the rest of the world complained about. Funnily enough no one cars about the R34 being the same size/weight.

As for the car Im trying to import right now, Im still looking. And I guess I just have to trust that theyre looking too. Does Tyndago post here anymore?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Gold Digger wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:05 am

I thought grey-market were legal imports?
No sir.

Hitokiri_Gensai
Car: 92 Nissan Skyline GTS-t

I went through Kuruma Imports out of Miami. Jorge is a top notch guy and I got a great car from him. He is a smaller scale dealer but I think that makes it easier to find what you want.

nitrous36

Update.

Today I lost my first auction. I already knew importing cars was a very long, difficult, and tedious process. But today I found out it can be even more so than I thought.

I finally found one that ticked all the boxes after months of looking. So I tell the importer, they did some research, gave me more info about the car, I confirm I want to buy it. We agree on a bid amount, and having never done this before I trusted their suggested amount was enough to secure the car. They tell me theyll let me know how it goes. Im excited thinking 90% chance its mine. But somebody wanted it more.

Whole day goes by and no response. Im anxious, and eager to know how the bidding went and if I won or not. So eventually after waiting hours, I email them only to be told unfortunately I lost. What a bummer.

I got that their intentions were to save me money and not over bid. But I was willing to pay a little more if needed. I think they set the bid amount too low and used bad judgement on what they thought it was worth. And it cost me, ugh. It may be months before I find another one. Rant over.

Currently looking at a second one, a bit newer with less miles but may have some rust Im told. If it's in places thats not unusual for a car to have rust then Im making a go at it. Wish me luck.

nitrous36

Ok recently found another one. Its a little newer so just a few months out from being legal to import. We bid for it and won! It will be held in storage for 6 months until it is legal to come over. The guys at IVI have come through. Better than waiting on Japanese classics who will only sale what they import. Its a bummer they wont do requests yet. But I understand why.

Its great Im getting some idea of how this works, so when I look for a GTR later Ill be better prepared. Hopefully by that time the hype would have died down and the prices settled. And with Mr. Morris at IVI the paper work will likely be A1. From what Ive seen, he takes the legal stuff more serious than some other importers.

2_Liter_Turbo
Car: _________________
'96 S14 Coupe: SR20VET
'90 R32 TH1 GTR: RB26DETT
'92 S13 Fastback: SR20DET
'11 V36 Sedan: VQ25HR
'06 GMT800 2500HD: LBZ Duramax

Congrats! What color did you end up getting!?!? Have any pics?

nitrous36

Yeah sure. I started to post pics, but this being a skyline forum I wasnt sure if it was appropriate or if anyone would care. Its a 93 Mark II Tourer V.

Dont know if anyone here is a fan of the Toyota JZX platform but here goes.

2_Liter_Turbo

Nice! Car looks to be in great shape. Those are definitely cool cars.

nitrous36

I think the X90s look better in dark colors while the X100 looks better in light colors like white/silver. Im the same way with the skyline. I think the R32s look better in dark colors while the R33 and 34 look better in light colors. Actually the R34 looks great in both.

The car I have is a very dark green which may look black from the pictures. Theres only a few cars I would get in dark green. The others being a 90s accord/camry or any lexus from that time. Otherwise it'd have to be something british like an old jaguar.

But yeah I think every car has its color.

2_Liter_Turbo

It's similar to my P10 G20. It's a very dark green as well. I love it!

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”