Is it worth it to put the money into fixing an SR20de?

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
niconiconi
Car: '92 Nissan NX2000

Hello, and thank you in advance. My baby - my nx2000 - recently went to the mechanic I've known for 35 years who redid the lower and upper oil pan. It was a great job, the car drove almost new for about 50 miles - but alas as God would have it, he put an extra 1qt of oil above the recommended allowance and at least 100 miles were put on the engine between him and I driving it. The work he had done was now leaking, and although it is driving better it doesn't drive the same way as he had when he dropped the car afterwards to me. The car's temperature remains in the middle. Is it worth it to get it fixed in the long run or to let it succumb to old age? I was told by one mechanic (who isn't familiar as you are with the SR20de) to not put anymore money into the car after he noted the leakages from the seams of the recently redone upper and lower oil pans. I put in some rislone ring seal which seems to have helped temporarily. My concern is I recently saw vapor coming out of the oil cap after I drove it for 30 minutes. I see a little grit in the radiator cap and the engine has a bit of grit and what look like small clearish fibers on the dry part of the dipstick. It doesn't drive bad at all, my concern is should I take care of the issue now and have the engine fixed for a pretty penny? Is it worth it to fix the engine and what is the ballpark? Any mechanics that you can recommend that do engine work around the LA area? Thank you for your advice and God bless you.

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”