iPod Support?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

Too bad I only have the base model radio. iPod integration is out for me... it makes more sense to buy a whole new head unit. I really like the one I installed in the wife's car (Mazda Protege):

Clarion DUZ385SAT:

- Direct iPod control via USB- WMA, MP3, AAC playback either via CD or USB memory stick/device- Optional Bluetooth- Optional XM or Sirius Sat Radio

There is also an upgrade (CX609), similar model with changeable display colors and built-in Bluetooth.

I hate nothing more than a radio with tiny fiddly buttons. The clarion is one of the few that have decent sized controls.

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

bill875 wrote:A couple of questions...

I've read that the factory XM SAT radio doesn't work if an iPod is connected to the Nissan iPod interface. Is that just the iPod itself or does that mean the iPod interface module? I would like the ability to switch between XM and the iPod from time to time but it is confusing as to whether or not this is possible.
Basically with an iPod connected the iPod "takes over" the SAT input. The channel number displayed is the song's position within the current play list. You have to disconnect the iPod if you want to listen to XM radio. It takes the interface a few seconds to realize that the iPod has been connected or disconnected. Not really ideal but the better half hasn't disconnected the iPod at all since setting it up for her.
bill875 wrote:Does the interface work like it does in the video here for the 07 Altima?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MamsMpWH_3o

Just for a comparison, here is Peripheral's iPod/HD Radio/AUX adapter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_4M6cgHI5Q
It is like the 07 Altima interface though that video didn't seem to cover browsing. Based on the video, I like how Peripheral uses the Scan button for Random/Shuffle. With the Altima interface you have to access the menus and Random/Repeat are selected via the Setup menu. The Altima interface defaults to Random off after the ignition is switched off which is annoying but I'm used to the iPod interface (actually an aftermarket Alpine head unit) in my other car which picks up exactly where it left off.

All menus are accessed via the Seek/Track buttons. The Tune/FF-Rew buttons act as "Select". The feedback on the display is a bit awkward as you can't really tell that you have selected a menu.

Based on what I've seen so far if I had to do it again I'd probably go the Peripheral route but at least the info is out there for others.

EddNog

I installed the Peripheral goods today and...

...it sucks. The sound quality is clearly not as good as using the Line-In port on the head unit, and the controls do not match what is indicated on any of the literature that came with any part of the kit (neither the generic instructions that came with the interface unit nor the Altima/"Rouge"-specific reference cards that came with the harness. I was unable to switch to the HD tuner to test it out, either, and there was simply no way to control the iPod as intended. I will have to decide whether I want to return this stuff to the company I bought it from or try to call them and let them attempt to figure out what went wrong. It was no fun disassembling the dashboard, either, even with the assistance of the technical service manual!

For the time being, I recommend avoiding the Peripheral kit for the Rogue, unfortunately. I was so excited, too.

-Ed

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

Ed,

I haven't taken the plunge yet either, but I have to believe that there is something wrong with your adapter if it isn't functioning and doesn't sound very good. It should sound as good as line-in.

Perhaps call Peripheral and see if they can give you some guidance or offer a replacement that is guaranteed to have the latest Hardware and Software revisions.

Please keep us posted.

-Bill

takeshi

I'd be interested in updates as well. I was seriously considering replacing the Nissan interface with Peripheral's. The Nissan interface works -- the sound quality is good and I can use it just fine. I just don't like its feedback on the display and they way they implemented the menus and controls.

Goblin
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg.

mamito00 wrote:I am also interested in this topic. I have a question, does anyone possess a picture/photo of the back of the Bose system? i am trying to obtain an Ipod interface which is controlled by the Bose system.
Screw that! Your looking at everything over $100 for a Bose connection to half a$$ work your iPod. I went with a new head unit Sony CDX-GT630UI, which controls my classic seamlessly. I have over 6K songs and can scan them in seconds to find the song I want from the head unit. Cost $128. I hooked up the steering wheel controls for another $40. 10 times the sound of the Bose unit which is only sound by Bose; meaning the speakers and amp. The head unit is generic crap.

philipa_240sx

I have to agree with Goblin,

The cost the interface could be put towards a new and better head unit with full iPod support and some other features.

OR

It's just as easy if not easier to control the iPod directly and use the line-in jack. And much cheaper to boot. I do this with my Nano... the only downside being the cable hanging from the dash.

Too bad the Rogue doesn't have built-in iPod support like the new Maxima or 370Z.

rogueheart
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hi, Not sure if this helps anyone, but I just bought an '09 Rogue and until I upgrade the stereo system I'm using this retractable line-in cable to connect my i-Pod...After dealing with dangling, tangled cords in my last car I appreciate how easily (and neatly) this one retracts. Plus it was only $15 at my local Apple store.

takeshi

I'm seriously considering a new head unit but need to ensure that BT functionality is retained (the SO uses the factory BT system a lot) as well as the steering wheel controls and XM radio. Aesthetically I'm not sure I could stand a single DIN HU in the Rogue.

I use an Alpine CDA-9886 in my own car and its iPod integration is certainly much better.

Aux cable's an obvious solution -- not really worth discussing IMO. However there's no SWI and it's a hassle to connect and disconnect (3.5mm connectors like this tend to fail easily) each time to avoid indicating that you have an iPod to steal to potential thieves. It's just not even an option considering that my iPod in my own car is a leave it and forget about it solution since the iPod remains completely hidden.

Time to check out the double DIN options...
Modified by takeshi at 8:30 AM 3/18/2009

Goblin
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg.

The BT is a nice feature. I know all the new models for 09 have the BT built in. I especially like the Clarion radios. Your looking at about 3-350 for a single din. The doubles are too much money and do attract a lot of attention. Probably the nicest being the Pioneer FT's at 8-1000. To me its just not worth the BT and I go with speaker phone. Same thing without the added communication problems that the BT gives you.

I especially liked the Sony head unit because you plug in the front of the unit and it controls other media players in addition to the iPods. Also with a USB you can just down load music on a flash drive and play it. No cords at all or expensive iPod to loose. Anyhow to each his own.

Funny thing though. I park between a Volvo and a Mercedes and they have both been broke in while my car lies in waiting. My navigation sits in the windshield and my iPod in the din holder. Half the time my car is unlocked because my daughter doesn't have the sense to lock it. So I'm guessing the Rogue isn't a hot target for thieves. LOL

philipa_240sx

Note: The Clarion double DIN units are pretty inexpensive. The DUZ385SAT I posted above can be had for under $220 CDN or $150 USD. The the upgrade model, the CX609 comes with bluetooth built-in and retails for $400CDN or $299 USD... but there are deals out there.

IMHO decent head unit if you do not care for nav. If the wife ever sells here Protege (she wants a Mazda 3 Sport for her next car), I will be sure to grab her Clarion head unit and install it the Rogue.

EddNog

You know what?!?

I have no time to bother with this stuff...

Who wants the Peripherals stuff I bought? All I ask for is $50 + shipping and I will send it all to you in a box. If you're close to me, we can meet up and it's yours for $50 even. I just don't have the time or patience to call these people up and try to work it out (call me impatient if you will).

Please let me know if you're interested and we can talk.

-Ed

midas1

Do you still want to sell the device?

EddNog

midas1 wrote:Do you still want to sell the device?
Absolutely; I'm hoping somebody can put it to good use.

-Ed

Return to “Rogue Forum”