Interfacing aux input to Bose w/o changer - 01 i30

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Vladim
Car: 2001 I30

Hi Loystock,

I tried this, but it didn't work, so I think I have the same 12-pin CD-changer connector (J202) pinout as in dbaxRonin's HU:

L+ | L-
R+ | R-
___|GND
___|GND
___|N.C.
___|REQ
TXD|RXD
N.C | N.C <- Pin L (AUX-ON)

The Pins D and L are N.C., not COMBI-ON and AUX-ON, so it is not clear which pins need to be shorted with a switch (RXD, TXD, REQ). I don't want to short output pin to GND accidentally as it might damage the unit.
There is dbaxRonin's pic of the HU back side that looks exactly like my HU - 12-pin (J202) connector is on the left side (empty) and there is another bigger connector with couple wires on the right side - maybe that one has AUX-ON pin. The problem is that I can't find a wiring diagram for my unit.

MAXIMAtician
Car: 2001 Nissan Maxima

Thanks for this thread dbaxRonin...

I know it's been more than a year and a half since this was posted, but it has been of great help to me in getting iPhone audio back into my '01 Maxima with little effort. You are a genious... very clever fellow who lucky for the rest of us has patiently figured out a solution to a common problem among us old Nissan/Infiniti owners.

About 6 years ago I went to great lengths to get music and video in there... computer in the glove, in-dash screen, iPhone connected via audio and bluetooth, cameras feeding in from numerous angles. After several battery and alternator issues and simply getting tired of unnecessary technology I decided to go back to simplicity - stock HU with an aux input solution... besides, the technology of the phones are so much better now there's no need for a PC.

I followed your tutorial and it worked first time, no problems. One thing I did differently was mounting a female 3.5 mm plug-in on the HVAC, opposite of the momentary switch. It shows cleaner and keeps symmetry on the dash, and will prevent the cord from ever being yanked out of the HU by some little brat.. he he.

I will follow up with a few picks when i get a chance...

Cheers bro.

MAXIMAtician

dbaxRonin
Car: 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400
2010 Infiniti G37x AWD Coupe (Traded in)
2001 Infiniti i30L (Traded in)

That's awesome MAXI...glad this was of some help for you. I am happy to report that mine is still working flawlessly as well...it's at the point now where I don't know where I'd be without it. I like the idea of adding the 3.5mm jack to the blank panel...makes perfect sense. As for me, since my phone sits in a cradle that clips on to the upper air vent, a jack down there didn't make much sense, but I suppose it will be different for everyone depending on their situation. (Though now I am thinking that might still be nice to put in so my passengers can hook up to it.)

I can definitely relate to the frustration of trying to trick out all the toys and gadgets...I used to try and pull off all those sorts off things as well, usually with mixed results. In my later years now, I certainly appreciate simplicity for simplicity sake.

sapps

loystock wrote:I added an AUX jack in my son's 97 I30 several months ago for his MP3 player. I did it in a hurry as my son was only home for a couple of hours so I was not able to document it. I bought a jack, SPST switch from Radio Shack (I have wires at home). The AUX jack connection is Tip to L+, Ring to R+ and then a Common connection to L- and R-. I remember connecting the RXD and TXD to the SPST switch. I believe in some HUs, the connection is between TXD (or RXD?) and Ground. However, in my case, the RXD and TXD terminals were not on the PCB so I have to use the CD Changer receptacle pins. I bought sockets from Fry's, crimped with pliers to make them snug with the pins. and then insulated with shrink tubing to prevent short circuit. I'll try to find the wiring diagram I used for the installation.
Hey guys,

Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread. I realize that many of you have probably moved on or have forgotten what you did to get this to work.

I have a 99 infiniti i30 with the stock radio and cd changer under the passenger seat. I have never used the cd changer and I have absolutely no desire to. So with the desire to add an aux switch and the information in this thread I took the plunge. I removed the cd player from under the seat and disconnected the connector. I figured that I would do something similar to what loystock did except just plug my wires directly into the female end of the connection that was still under the passenger seat. This way I wouldn't have to deal with getting to the back of the radio.

As soon as i got the connection apart and came back in the office to compare them to what was posted here, I quickly realized I had the same issue as Vladim. My pins did not match up with the op's pins. My connector has 12 pins in use but can actually hold 15 pins. The diagram that dbaxRonin linked has only 12 possible pins. Not to be daunted, I took the CD changer apart to get to the circuit board to find the labels for each pin and this is what i find.

L+ | R+ | S.GND BAT | x | ACC
L- | R- | GND | x | BUS-REQ | TxD | RxD | x | x | GND

So, now I can follow along with what Loystock said and put the L+ to tip, R+ to ring and L- and R- together to ground. This would wire the aux jack. But I am at a loss with the SPST connections since I don't have a Aux-On Signal input. I'm not opposed to trial and error, but I am opposed to shorting out my radio and not having anything to listen to in the car. With that in mind, I figured it was time to register and ask my question.

So, here goes.....With my wiring diagram and connections and with the lack of an aux-on signal input, am i able to put a SPST switch to get this to work and where would it go?

Thanks and sorry for the long post and the resurrection of an old thread.

edit..I just re-read one of loystock's posts and think I may be able to figure it out. So I guess I will just buy the parts needed and give it a go. :)

edit 2....ok, so i tried to connect the RxD and TxD to the STSP and nothing at all happened when i flipped the switch. I'm stumped at this point. Hopefully someone checks this post.

dbaxRonin

Ahhh the memories! I wouldn't worry too much about shorting out the radio (well OK, maybe I would a little), but when I was analyzing mine to get something to work, I willy-nilly tried all sorts of connection scenarios without much concern (figured if I fried it I would just buy a replacement off ebay or get an aftermarket) and nothing drastic happened. Did you try your SPST between TXD (or RXD) and ground? If neither of those work, you might want to try ACC ("accessory", presumably) and ground as well.

It would seem to me that if you have the cd-changer, you should be able to just tap into the L/R inputs with your aux plug (while also removing them from the cd-changer) and leave the rest of the wires as are, and then just change over to the cd-changer via your head-unit as usual. This would, in theory, throw the HU into cd-changer mode, but the actual audio would be sourced from your aux jack.

Mine was a different scenario since i didn't have a cd changer, and my end-result never really put my HU into true cd-changer mode, so I'm not really sure what your best course of action would be here, nor can I offer any true advice based on real experience. I hope you get it figured out though! Good luck!

MrDmitryC
Car: Nissan Maxima 2000 GXE

Thanks, dbaxRonin! Your ingenious CD hack worked for me too. I tried loystock's first (since I do have CD/CHGR button) but it didn't work for some reason. My head unit model pn-2280d (Clarion non-bose that came with GXE).

dbaxRonin

You are welcome MrDmitry! Glad it was of some help. Enjoy your new found ability to rock on demand!

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”