WARNING - Interest Check: Performance true manual rack

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
a_ahmed
Car: 1991 240sx fastback

mattblancarte wrote:Honestly, I prefer to have power steering. I've encountered minor slips at speed without power steering, and the steering wheel is WAY harder to deal with...

If you're an experienced drifter or road racer, you will already know what you prefer. For the Average Joe's, this mod is not the best idea IMHO.
If you are talking about PS just being disabled this is not the same (and that is garbage and hand heavy for sure). If you are talking about a properly depowered rack as per the flyin miata tutaorial, still this is not the same...

mattblancarte
Car: 2005 BMW M3 Comp. Coupe

Nono I definitely understand the difference between a manual steering rack and a disconnected or modified p/s rack.

The 510 I had some seat time in was a true manual rack, and a very light car as well (1900 lbs or so).

Mods of this nature are purely a matter of preference... or you are literally trying to drop any extra weight and add 2 HP. I can understand that if you are in a real racing environment.

gnvarnadore
Car: 89 240sx Base Coupe(daily/project) 91 240sx SE Coupe(sold) 92 240sx SE Coupe(sold) 89 240sx Base Hatch(sold) 93 240sx SE Hatch(SOLD!!!)

im interested so add me to the list

Karateboy88

a_ahmed wrote:
This is not just a depowered or PS disconnected rack... I am trying to explain this. It's designed to be non-assisted and it is very responsive and with a shorter lock to lock easier to actually control i 'bad situations'.

Power or not, rally cars have extremely fast racks so you don't have to do a lot of man handling as you would in the same rally course as say a regular lock to lock rack.

There's alot of misconceptions and myths that have spread over the years over internet forums about 'manual racks' and 'depowered racks' etc...

It's not to be compared...
How can a manual rack be just as easy to turn as a powered rack?

I can only see this with different gearing and therefore its slower.

How else can it be made?

S13Joe
Car: 92 Coupe

Its hard to describe when you've never driven a manual rack. Put me on the interested list.

a_ahmed

oh and my bad its 2.25 lock to lock and 2.0 lock to lock, 2.4 is what the guy went from but this could be customizable based on personal demand.... pretty f*cken hardcore 2.0 lock to lock... ROAAR

Add yourself to the list... i need numbers... the more people are sincerely serious about this s*** the faster and cheaper itll happen thats all (its simple business and im trying to do us all a favour).

Also if you're really a p**** and somehow THINK this will be 'heavy' for whatever weird reason... you could also do an electric ps system from an mr2 or something likethat... so you get best of both worlds but i dont see the point.

I quoted this so people would read this guy's experience:
I now have about 250 miles on the car and will be able to dyno it next weekend. In putting on the miles, I have a few more observations on the rack. First, I still like it as much as at first. I keep saying how smooth and precise it is. Although it might seem like the change from 2.0 to 2.4 turns lock to lock might not make a lot of difference, it really does. It turns so fast that you cannot defocus from steering. If you glance over at something for a minute, you could end up off the road. It turns as fast as a Lotus Elise or Exige.

At speeds of 45-55 mph going straight, I have to concentrate a bit to keep it straight. Its not that it has any bump steer or follows the crown any more so than stock, but a slight movemebt of the wheel just takes it off the straight line. You or I anyway need to focus more. However, at 80-90 mph this is not an issue at all, though I can't tell you why that is.

Also, while it is very tight and smooth turning -- no slack anywhere ever -- and very precise, there is not harshness at all. There is a lot of road feel and reading of the road surface, but the solid mounts seem to eliminate any quick jarring or jolting entirely. I think any bushing would actually interject that jolting or jarring into the feel.

That's it for now. I may post an update in a few weeks, if I notice anything more. But, so far, I would strongly recommend this for anyone who likes the twisties or doesn't like the loose and strangely assisted stock unit. For anyone who has switched to looped line or Maval and likes it, this will be a tremendous swap from there. You'll go nuts.
Not that its comparable but a local guy impressed me with his rx7 and all he had literally was slightly thicker swaybars, reamiya coilovers (awesome but hey), rpf1s, and a manual rack... this guy pwnd a gtr (r35) the guy was so f'en smooth... alot of rx7 guys are going to this... i know its a different animal but whatever, ill be then the first on a 240 with one Im building my car to be grip/road racing oriented... and i want maximum handling/response/feel out of it... I think its one of the most worthy upgrades. Hell anything that improves feel, response, etc... is win-win for me. When I went to a bucket seat it was a world of difference. Hell when i went to aluminum steering rack bushings it was a world of difference... when i went from 20 year old hicas rack to my remanned hicas rack it was a world of difference... so will this be
Modified by a_ahmed at 8:58 PM 8/11/2009

Steve Lloyd

This would be perfect for me, doing a VH45 and it's a pain to retain the power steering pump.

Add me to the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karateboy88

DirtyGhettoKids wrote:Its hard to describe when you've never driven a manual rack. Put me on the interested list.
Driving a manual steering rack and understanding how it works are two different things.

Tighter turning means smaller gear ratio. Smaller gear ratio means less assistance. Less assistance means more effort is required to turn the wheel. There is no arguing that. On top of that, consider the fact that there is no hydraulic system to help you.

s13beast
Car: 94 5-speed silvert s14 sr, 91 hatchback dd.

Im very interested. a price would be great tho. Add me to the list i suppose. First one on a vert? yaaaay

eidk
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

1. a_ahmed2. simmode13. asoomal4. noobdrftr5. eidk

PhopsonNY

Very interesting ideas here. It is very hard to know what this is like if you have never driven it before.

Seems to me like things would move along a lot faster if you got some sort of ballpark interest.

Why not ask the manufacturer to ballpark the price if say you had interest from...

20 people,50 people 100 people

or whatever... this is all moot if the price still comes in at k$1.0 or above.

Just my $0.02

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

That was a nice review, A_ahmed. Got any reviews on how this feels in a parking lot?

And how much did the RX-7 guys pay for this mod? Maybe that will give us an idea of what to expect...

a_ahmed

1. a_ahmed (me)2. Thomas (son240)3. Darth (son240)4. Tre240sx (son240)5. racepar1 (zilvia/nrr)6. asoomal (nico)7. noobdrftr (nico)8. legit240sx (nico)9. gnvarnadore (nico)10. DirtyGhettoKids (nico)11. Steve Lloyd (nico)12. eidk (nico)13. 14. etc...

a_ahmed

And for those that care the price was 600 british pounds roughly 1000 USD for the rx7 guy, however the price can go lower depending on how many people we get. That's why a group buy kicks a**.

Considering most people dish out a 1000 bux on s***box china made/taiwan made coilovers this is a bargain for what you're getting...a one off engineered performance true manual rack... and again ppl it doesnt compare to a looped or even 'properely' depowered rack or simply regeared rack.

Prior to his post-couple of weeks review this is what this gentleman said:
I'd like to thank Jon at AtomicRex for making this. First, Jon, the unit is beautifully made, and while I won't be driving the car until Saturday, I have turned the steering wheel both without any load and with the motor in it and can tell you that the precision feel of the rack is phenomenal. Its so much smoother turning than any version of the steering rack that I have felt, both powered and manual conversions, whether looped or true manual conversions like Maval. Its a completely different feel. Sure there's a little effort required, but its just so smooth and precise and virtually no play at all. And, because there's 2.4 turns lock-to-lock, its a LOT faster turning.

I will report on the steering feel and effort more over the weekend. I am wondering whether the solid and beautifully machined mounts (third variation, Jon?) will transmit too much road feel for street use. We'll have to see. But, I am sure that its the ultimate track set-up regardless. And, if there is too much feel for me, I'm certain some poly material could be inserted to dampen that anyway.

Summary is that so far this is one of the very best new things to come out that makes a real difference in our cars. The stock steering was one of the real weaknesses of the car that was reported in the press from day one and that we all have noticed. The stock assisted steering is a little dead and slow and has way less feel than you'd want in a car like this and that's why so many people convert to some form of manual, whether looped line or Maval. I had the looped line on my old car and have tried to order Quaife's "Quick Steer Gears", but they never actually made them. This unit provides the best of all worlds with both an incredibly well-made pure manual unit where the precision of the billet aluminum machined parts, especially the rack and gears themselves, are like a Swiss watch and turn much smoother than any conversion of the stock set-up, AND its also got the quicker turn ratio.

Let me comment on price, which is about $1000 unless we organize another group buy. I hear some guys saying that's a lot compared to a simple and free looped line conversion or even the Maval conversion at about $300-400. People readily spend $1500-4000+ for coilovers and $2500-6000 for big brake kits and $2000-4000 for wheels and tires and on and on. This is less money than any of those things and will give you a direct improvement you can feel and that will make way more of a difference to your driving experience than almost anything else you can do to your car. I'd invite anyone in my area over for a drive and will give drives at the Carlisi meet this August to as many people as I can. This is really a great change to the car. I can't say enough.

a_ahmed

In regards to who is making these:
The rack is designed and manufactured by a company here in the uk, they have also design the steering racks for all of the caterham and westfields, as well as Radicals, A1 GP cars, and also do work for F1 cars.

I am happy they have designed this well enough to cope with the loads necessary. Also I have one that has run a full race season, and is still as fresh as the day it was put in

I dont think you need worry about the quality of the parts.

a_ahmed

Another point of interest:
Pomanferrari... When I was originally discussing this with Jon, he told me about Radical using racks similar to this built by the same guys. I don't remember that Caterham used them as well. Dave Barninger at KD Rotary installed mine and he and I spent some time discussing it, looking at it, and playing with it. We concluded that it was a very well built rack and should have no issues. The redesigned mounting setup is especially heavy duty. I think I posted pictures of it. Instead of having a thin aluminum collar attaching the rack to the subframe there are very sturdy thick aluminum clamps that, unlike the collar, cannot move in any direction, because of the dovetailing of the two pieces together and onto the frame. The rack itself is CNC machined billet and therefore inherently much stronger than the stock unit. Its overkill from a stress perspective, buy the package ensures that the feel and precision is light years better than the stock or Maval units. As I said, I was particularly impressed with the smoothness of turning the wheel. There is no slack or play anywhere in the full rotation of the wheel lock to lock. Its very different.

a_ahmed

I spent yesterday putting a few hundred miles on my car with the new rack and newly rebuilt 20b NA motor and new exhaust. The steering is phenomenal. There's a lot more feel than any manual conversion. I keep being impressed by how smooth and precise it is. Absolutely nothing like the normal steering. And the 2.4 turns lock to lock make turning instantaneous. No pushback or kickback going over anything including traversing road crowns. Might be the best thousand dollars I've spent.

Gordon

a_ahmed

Str8ryd wrote:... I think it go perfectly with the rest of my car. Its very pleasant to drive. As I said, much, much quicker. Has that slightly "nervous", "quiveriing and ready" feel that older Porsches had at highway (70-90) speeds. Around backroad curves it turns like a Lotus Exige right now thank you.

Prometheus... I have gone over maybe two smaller potholes. No issues. And there is no backlash or kickback at all. When its absolutely dead stopped and you need to turn it, there's some effort. Once its rolling at all, there's no issue. Low speed maneuverability is fine. No one has mentioned any required maintenance and there are no fittings to "lube" it. Its just an old fashioned manual rack a la the 60's.
. .

a_ahmed

I don't know the ratio, but gave asked. Will report tomorrow. It is 2.4 turns lock to lock.

I love the unit. I have about 1000 miles on it and only love it. As I said before, there's a bit of effort at dead stop parking speeds, but way less effort than any conversion. It makes the car feel like a Lotus Exige. Much much different than stock or conversion. Turn in is way faster. You think it and it does it. Its like driving a bike. You have to stay very focused or you'd be in the weeds.

There is also a lot of feel, but as I think I said, no vibration at all. It mounts much more solidly than the stock rack and I think that causes the subframe to absorb a lot of little none road related vibration that came from the mounting.

Gordon
Then another guy bought it and said the following:

Quote »Well i got the rack installed today and i have to admit that is a huge different from stock, the car feel like a big go-kart. the steering is very precise and smooth with no play at all just point and turn.

I highly recommend this upgrade for the ones that are into drifting or auto crossing[/quote]Quote »Glad you like it. I couldn't find any better words to use than the same ones you used -- smooth and precise -- but it really doesn't do justice to the way it feels, does it? Its like a Rolex... or the wheel that locks a bank vault door. Like you said, no play at all. I think its the CNC machining.

I know that Jon has sold at least 7 racks over here, but don;t know anyone else who has installed theirs other than you and I. Like Bewtew said, its almost a must-have upgrade if you're racing and I think its the best change I could feel other than the motor. Shocks and springs make a difference you can feel, but you are holding the steering wheel all the time and its what communicates the road to you. You feel the difference all the time.[/quote]Quote »It definitely doesn't Gordon.. my car feels like a very fast go-kart and i love it. i was a little skeptical about the price of the rack but every time i drive my car and take a turn it puts a big smile on my face . i love my car and this steering rack has made me love it even more. [/quote]Quote »i find it the best for autox.. is def not like the power steering feeling you find in your daily driver but is def very smooth and precises with no play what so ever. i'm still running the gigantic 380mm stock wheel which i hate and still feels very good.. my next step is installing a 350mm wheel and that should make it feel even better [/quote]Quote »the Maval is better than the looped line, neither compares with the AtomicRex rack. It is better than a Porsche manual rack or any other production manual rack I think because of how well machined it is. The effort might be one half of what it is with the Maval rack and one fourth the effort of a looped line converted rack. There is very little effort required.

If you come to the Carlisi event, you can try mine and see.[/quote]

a_ahmed

There's also a drift version in the works
Quote »Following the success of our manual steering rack

I have been asked by Thurston to put together a LHD version with a little more travel for the drift cars. The work is being started next week, and should take approx 4-6 weeks for the rack to emerge.

The new rack will be the same speed, but have approx 40% extra travel. This will allow you to avoid using complicated methods of achieving extra lock.

If anyone is interested then I will order a couple more.[/quote]Quote »To put it another way, assume that your stock rack will turn your front wheels to a 45* angle. This modified rack will allow them to go to, say 52*. On a drift car, this extra angle will allow the car to be even more sideways in a slide becasue the front wheels have the range of motion to continue pointing in the intended direction.

On a street car it would/should allow you to make an even smaller turn radius. You may have to trim the fenderwell to accommodate this though. The OP can probably verify that though.

Hope this helps[/quote]Quote »i installed the rack yesterday and i was doing some minor drifting in a empty parking lot to test it out and the rack is very very smooth and responsive just point and turn[/quote]Quote »Due to the extra machining required for both the extended rack bar, housings and pinion bar the new rack will be £890.[/quote](oh mama -- but i dont care for drifting lol)

Quote »I am the person who requested this rack be made.

A manual rack for drifting or anything for that matter should not be hard at all. My ae86 has a manual rack and I have no problem with it. Granted the fd is heavier but if your setup is correct I don't believe it will make a difference. Remember not to run too wide a front tire, use a good sticky compound possibly a semi slick in a 215 or 225 and you will have more front grip than 99% of you will need for drifting.

I was also looking at modifying my knuckles but this rack is an infinitely better option.[/quote]Quote »i run 245 up front and i felt fine for me.. but i also got big arms and forearms [/quote]

GODCHSR
Car: 1996 Nissan 240sx

$1000 is a waste of money.

These would have to be below $500 to even get me to start being interested personally.

a_ahmed

GODCHSR wrote:$1000 is a waste of money.

These would have to be below $500 to even get me to start being interested personally.
Go buy your megan racing s*** elsewhere.

Here's what a re-manned HICAS one costs:

http://www.frsport.com/Nissan-....html

600USD, i paid 500USD + shipping before.

If you don't f*en understand the value of this, this is not for you at all, stick with megan racing and ebay parts.

S chassis owners are f*en cheap asses, that's why real performance companies rarely make s*** for any of us.
Modified by a_ahmed at 11:42 AM 8/12/2009

Bumnah
Car: 1992 240SX, black. Bone stock.

a_ahmed wrote:
S chassis owners are f*en cheap asses, that's why real performance companies rarely make s*** for any of us.

And that it's an old and outdated platform.

mattblancarte
Car: 2005 BMW M3 Comp. Coupe

Bumnah wrote:
And that it's an old and outdated platform.
Definitely.

That, and the road-racing community isn't exactly huge. It exists, but it's not like and EVO, STi, Porsche, Lotus, etc. type deal.
a_ahmed wrote:
If you don't f*en understand the value of this, this is not for you at all, stick with megan racing and ebay parts.

I agree with the first part, and disagree with the second. lol

I personally think owners should consider what their car is being used for prior to making a purchase like this. Also, you may want to drive a car with a manual rack to get a feel and see if you like it.

Same reasoning as why I wouldn't put coilovers on a purely street-driven car... Only do things to your car that will give you value and benefit towards your goals with the vehicle.

If you are are a serious racer or weekend warrior, and you aren't getting proper enough feedback from your steering wheel to make minor corrections, this mod would be EXCELLENT for you.

Then again... you may run slower for a bit while trying to adjust your reactions to the new feedback feeling. Who knows, though. Running fast laps can be different for everyone.

Karateboy88

a_ahmed wrote:
Go buy your megan racing s*** elsewhere.

You are definitely a prick

Nothing like bullying and belittling people to help you get your way, huh?

c-rad
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX w/CA18DET

a_ahmed wrote:S chassis owners are f*en cheap asses, that's why real performance companies rarely make s*** for any of us.
What do you expect? We're talking about cars that are nearly 2 decades old that can be had for under $3k. Personally, if I had the kind of money where I could justify dropping $1k on a steering rack, I would be driving a higher class of vehicle.

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

I had a feeling that comment was gonna be counterproductive. Look, Ahmed, you've got a list of at least 12 ppl mildly interested shoppers. Get that to the manufacturer and then get back to us on details.

a_ahmed

Honestly I felt insulted with someone expectin this sort of thing for 300$, you can forget buying it for that price. A remanned HICAS rack will cost more and I posted a link to frposrt for a remanned hicas. I paid close to that (until they increased price) for my remanned hicas.

As nice and dandy as that would be, it won't happen for 300$. We're definetely looking at 600$-1000$.

This is really for people who want the edge of performance and know what they are spending their money on.

Don't be coming in here with silly comments like it's too expensive and useless for me. Well if it's too expensive and useless for you then don't buy it. Simple. I am trying to do people a favour as I know over the years people wanted this. I am buying it even if its gona cost me 1200$ at the end by myself. That's not a problem for me.

My problem is the usual s chassis owner mentality of oh its a s*** box why spend money, oh its an old car, oh its too expensive.

It's the same reason I spent close to 3k on my koni setup vs 1k on a megan racing china setup.

That is all.

S13Joe
Car: 92 Coupe

a_ahmed wrote:
Don't be coming in here with silly comments like it's too expensive and useless for me. Well if it's too expensive and useless for you then don't buy it. Simple. I am trying to do people a favour as I know over the years people wanted this. I am buying it even if its gona cost me 1200$ at the end by myself. That's not a problem for me.
Dude... This is a forum, people are going to say their opinions. This type of product isn't for everyone. I'm almost positive the people saying "oh its too expensive, its not worth it" are the ones who have never even driven a manual rack. I've driven two cars with a manual rack, an MR2 and an FC RX-7, the MR2 sucked but the RX-7 was amazing. I really love the feel of the manual rack in that car. You really do feel EVERYTHING, its much more responsive, and IMO you have much more control. My friend daily drives his manual rack RX-7 and he has no problems at all.

OP, just a little hint, if you're trying to get people's interest then don't be a douche...

GODCHSR
Car: 1996 Nissan 240sx

a_ahmed wrote:Honestly I felt insulted with someone expectin this sort of thing for 300$, you can forget buying it for that price. A remanned HICAS rack will cost more and I posted a link to frposrt for a remanned hicas. I paid close to that (until they increased price) for my remanned hicas.

As nice and dandy as that would be, it won't happen for 300$. We're definetely looking at 600$-1000$.

This is really for people who want the edge of performance and know what they are spending their money on.

My problem is the usual s chassis owner mentality of oh its a s*** box why spend money, oh its an old car, oh its too expensive.

It's the same reason I spent close to 3k on my koni setup vs 1k on a megan racing china setup.

That is all.
I said $500 for the record... BUT price does not confirm quality.

I love the 'idea' of a manual steering rack but this isn't some kind of technological advancement... it's a steering rack. The technology is the same but the quality of components differ.

For me personally I would drop around $500 on a quality rack but not $1000... I can think of a load better places to drop $1k on this car.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”