Intelligent Key Issue: Will not Start

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
09AltDawg
Car: 2009 Altima

Bottomline: My Car Wont Start!! I am seening the intelligent key indicator on the dash lights and the car will not start. What is the cause of this and how complex is the solution? The fob can unclock the car and the car battery is not dead. If anyone has any answers please let me know. Thanks

09AltDawg
Car: 2009 Altima

Update: The car is at the dealership and the are saying that they need to replace the steering mechanism as it has malfunctioned. I am just baffled as to how this all of a sudden happens. They ran the diagnostic and this is the code they are getting back as the issue. Hopefully this will solve my issue, but it already proving to be too costly for my liking. If anybody out there knows anything about this issue please comment.

Below is what the manual said about the warning light that came on in the car:

NISSAN Intelligent Key™
warning light
The Intelligent Key warning light warns of a malfunction
with the electrical steering lock system
or the Intelligent Key system.
After the ignition switch is placed in the ON
position, this light comes on for about 2 seconds
and then turns off.
If the light comes on while the engine is stopped,
it may not be possible to free the steering lock or
to start the engine. If the light comes on while the
engine is running, you can drive the vehicle. However,
in these cases, contact a NISSAN dealer for
repair as soon as possible.
See “NISSAN Intelligent Key™ ” in the “Predriving
checks and adjustments” section.

funkee
Car: '08 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE

When you hit the Engine start button, without pressing the brake (or clutch) are you able to change modes? If so, you might be able to reprogram a new FOB (the key). It could very well be an issue with the FOB itself, despite what the diagnostic code says.

how-to-info-reset-ecu-pull-codes-reset- ... 25400.html

Ask them what the OBD II (OBD 2) code is, and research the issue yourself.

Could be an easy fix (disconnect battery for 10-15 min) and try again. If you have a spare key, try that too. If not, they could be right - that it is a steering lock failure. It has been known to happen to Altimas.

You could also try what this guy did with his GT-R... gently persuade the steering lock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBcj5DuqR4Q

If your car is at the dealership, talk to a manager before they replace something expensive. The part itself is about $450-$650. Ask the manager if they are sure that its the steering mechanism, and that they aren't just guessing. They'll of course say they're 100% sure. When they do, get them to guarantee it in writing; that if what they're about to install doesn't fix the issue - you don't pay for that part or the labor (of installation).

Make sure you tell them that you're not going to pay them to do trial and error. Don't be afraid to push them around and ask for your car back - even if it doesn't start. The fact that it doesn't start is leverage for them to do more repairs than might ultimately be necessary. If you're not happy, demand to speak to a supervisor. And you can always throw down with Consumer Affairs - 800-647-7261.

Don't let them sucker you into paying for the parts and labor - only for them to later say it must be something else. If they don't know how to fix something, don't end up paying for their training. And if you can help it at all, go to a private mechanic - unless you have a warranty for them to honor.

liapunov84
Car: Nissan Altima 2010 2.5 S Sedan

Hello 09AltDawg:

I am having exactly the same problem with my 2010 nissan altima 2.5 S sedan, my car won't start at times and the intelligent key warning light is on. My service advisor told me that I need to replace the steering lock unit (nissan part #: 48700-9N00B). Please let me know if you resolved your problem and how. Sorry about my english, I hope you understand this message.

Best regards,

Liapunov.
09AltDawg wrote:Update: The car is at the dealership and the are saying that they need to replace the steering mechanism as it has malfunctioned. I am just baffled as to how this all of a sudden happens. They ran the diagnostic and this is the code they are getting back as the issue. Hopefully this will solve my issue, but it already proving to be too costly for my liking. If anybody out there knows anything about this issue please comment.

NISSAN Intelligent Key™
warning light
and then turns off.

uzayborga
Car: Nissan Altima Hybrid 2007

Any updates with the situation i have started having the same problem lately.

My car doesnt start time to time and the intelligent key warning light stays on all the time. It doesnt seem a big issue as I was able to start it after a couple of tries.Only on time it took me about 10 minutes to start it. I have checked the manual too as 09AltDawg v posted and couldnt find anything else than that. Have any of you got it fixed? If it is so could you pls share your experience?

I want to make sure the problem is identified correctly before I pay for the steering lock replacement.

Thank you.

royaro
Car: Nissan Altima 08 2.5

Has any of you find a solution to the problem? I have recently have the same problem with my Altima 08. I would not like the steering lock to be the problem, but seems that could be it, based on what you people wrote. And If any of you changed the steeering lock, can any of you please tell me how much did it cost you approximately? it seems the steeering lock is near 400( if i looked at the right one) plus the mechanic's work.

For the ones that have the same problem and are stuck somewhere not being able to move their car . The 2 ways I was able to get it back on were :
1. By jump start
2. I put the car in neutral and then turn it on. I don't know if that's what made it work, since also when I put it on neutral i moved the car back like 70 cm.

And for some reason i feel that by disconnecting the battery and connecting it again, you would probably be able to turn the car on, at least to get to your destination, but I'm not sure about this.

LauriePuryear
Car: 2012 Nissan Altima

I have a 2012 Nissan Altima and as of this evening the radio light is on with the clock showing, the acc light is on above the push button and the door ding is going off. My car won't turn over it won't start. What is it that I do now because I don't know what is wrong. :frown:

mjricci
Car: 2011 Altima 3.5R

My 2011 3.5SR did this same thing, so before I jump started it or have to have it towed, I disconnected the negative battery terminal for about 15 seconds, reconnected it, and it started right up. So far it hasn't happened again.

mkcompu
Car: '12 Altima 3.5 SR Sedan

There is a Nissan TSB out about a BCM software update for select 2011 and 2012 Altimas that fixes a particular no start condition - when you try to start the car the electronics all turn on but if you push the start button nothing happens at all. The bulletin (Nissan TSB NTB12-041) instructs the dealer to update the BCM software if the following occur:

The following conditions exist or the customer reports the following condition(s) occurred:
When trying to start the engine,
• The instrument panel lights up, and
• The engine does not crank, (no crank, no start), (hybrid “ready” will not light), and
• The ignition push button is not responsive (no action occurs when the button is pressed additional times).
or
When trying to turn the engine OFF,
• The instrument panel stays lit, and
• The engine does not turn OFF (hybrid “ready” will not turn OFF), and
• The ignition push button is not responsive (no action occurs when the button is pressed additional times).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin only applies to certain Altimas (Sedan, Coupe and Hybrid) based on VIN - for 2011 the VIN needs to fall between:
1N4(*)L2(***)BC 143037 and 1N4(*)L2(***)BC 185867
OR
1N4(*)L2(***)BN 463258 and 1N4(*)L2(***)BN 517167

For 2012 the VIN needs to fall between:
1N4(*)L2(***)CC 100000 and 1N4(*)L2(***)CC 147708
OR
1N4(*)L2(***)CN 400000 and 1N4(*)L2(***)CN 452245

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you experience this no start issue, the TSB says to unplug the negative battery cable for a few minutes then reconnect. If your VIN falls in this range and you had the no start issue, head to the dealer for a software update since it's quick and free if you're still under the 3 year/36k warranty. This is not a recall and if your VIN is within the range they will only give you the update if you tell them your car did what the bulletin mentions above.

Outkast
Car: 05 Titan 4WD CC, 00 Maxima SE 5spd, 91 TTZ

If the key light is flashing yellow, but nothing happens, it will be the steering lock. We are starting to see alot of those failing lately.

Dallman22
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Thought I might chime in here...new user. I just got back from the dealership with my Altima and mine was doing the exact same thing. Intelligent key light would come on but the car wouldn't start or do anything, but the lock/unlock feature would still work. After a short diagnosis, the tech informed me it was the steering lock motor, which is more common than people think...it malfunctioned in the off/lock position. The part was $500 and with labor and a tow bill, the total was $801. The tech said there is nothing you can do to bypass it, just have to replace it. Hope this helps someone.

Dallman22
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Thought I might chime in here...new user. I just got back from the dealership with my Altima and mine was doing the exact same thing. Intelligent key light would come on but the car wouldn't start or do anything, but the lock/unlock feature would still work. After a short diagnosis, the tech informed me it was the steering lock motor, which is more common than people think...it malfunctioned in the off/lock position. The part was $500 and with labor and a tow bill, the total was $801. The tech said there is nothing you can do to bypass it, just have to replace it. Hope this helps someone.

cooljay5737
Car: 2009 Nissan Maxima (Blk)

Last month I notice that the "Key light" was on. I thought is was because of the cold weather we were having. It than went off when I restarted the engine. After reading the Owner's Manual, I found it had something to do with the steering. It said take to the dealer. Knowing that if the light is not on when the Dealer looks at it, is a waste of time.

So after getting to work, which is a 20 min drive, the car wouldn't start back up after 10 mins. I could get into the car, but could not get it to start again. The best way to describe the problem is trying to start the car without the key in your pocket.

I bought the 2009 Nissan Maxima in May. It's now February. Nissan Certified. I'm sure it's covered under the 7 year bumper to bumper/100k warranty. I drive a bus and work with a schedule. All I could do was lock it up and deal with it after work.

I wonder if this is a common problem with the 09 Maximas? Doing a little research on this type of problem, I found that it's very pricey if it has something to do with the steering mechanism. And the Dealer doesn't "repair", they "replace".

It's a beautiful car and run great, but right then, I made up my mind that once I get to 85k, I will get rid of it.

tarheels8609

just got through with the "Lock Steering" problem. I drove to the gym this morning stopped for gas and when I got back in it wouldn't start. they said it was the "Lock Steering" problem and that it would be around $900 to fix.

Does anyone think this might be a recall thing? This seems like a ridiculous thing to have happen to my 2009 Nissan Altima. I only have about 28k miles on it...

tarheels8609

I just got off the phone with Nissan. They are not willing to do a reimbursement at this time. However, if it ends up being a recall they will reimburse. She said for it to be considered enough people have to file the complaint with the NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION. She said to call over there and file a complaint. She gave me the number. The number is 1.888.327.4236. Worth a shot. Maybe we can get reimbursed...

AltimaHybrid09
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid

Got to Nissanassist.com as of April 1st for a refund of this issue.
Hello all I just had this same problem with my 09 Altima Hybrid 48,500 miles came out to start my car pushed the button and nothing just says lock and the key symbol is lit up. Towed it to the dealer and sure enough it was a steering lock issue with a repair price of $800. I called Nissan consumer affairs and filed a complaint. They called back and informed me that as of April 1st they have extended the warranty on this part of the car go to Nissanassist.com submit your receipt for a full refund! Hope this helps. Just had this issue a few days go.

mcabrera
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima

I had the same problem today for the second time. First time I was told that the car was not recognizing the keys so they had to be reprogrammed.
Drove car for 5 minutes, got out for 1 minute, car would not start and the key lights were on.
Towed to dealer and was told the Steerling Lock Unit had to be replaced - $731.31.
Was informed to log in to nissanassist.com after April 1st and they will be reimbursing. The warranty will be extended 36 miles/3 years and unlimited miles/6 years.
Hope this helps!

HKlyce
Car: 2008 Altima Hybrid

Was having the same problem. I got the connector off and used a small screw driver to pressed the clips on the ends of the wire harness deeper into the connector. Works fine now. Thanks!

statikanetik
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe SE Premium black/black
-20" RuffRacing 280 Black
-Full Stillen body kit
-Injen intake
-GReddy exhaust
-Grounding Kit
-Eibach springs
-Tinted LED tail lights
-Custom head lights

I am having this issue now. When I try to start my car it makes clicking sounds and everything flashes for about five seconds, does this happen to anyone else? I already attempted the disconnecting neg bat terminal, but it is still having the issue. I will get new batteries for my keys.

HKlyce, what connector and wire harness?
HKlyce wrote:Was having the same problem. I got the connector off and used a small screw driver to pressed the clips on the ends of the wire harness deeper into the connector. Works fine now. Thanks!

statikanetik
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe SE Premium black/black
-20" RuffRacing 280 Black
-Full Stillen body kit
-Injen intake
-GReddy exhaust
-Grounding Kit
-Eibach springs
-Tinted LED tail lights
-Custom head lights

I got my car to start. I bought jumper cables because I thought it might be a battery issue because of the way the electronics was responding, but I am not sure if that was the problem. While I had the jumper cables attached I also tried the trick to shake the steering wheel up and down and in and out and it started. I tried the shaking method before without the jumpers on and it did not work, but maybe it was just a lucky shake when I had the jumpers on. So, just in case I let my car charge for about 30 minutes, and I drove a few miles. Throughout driving the Electronic Key Warning light stayed solid on. When I parked and hit the power button my car did not turn off, but the warning light went away, ok... So then I hit the power button again and the car turned off. I hit the ignition button to turn it on and it did turn it on fine and I did not see the warning light.

From what I have determined about the Steering Locking device is that there is just a fault in the wiring harness, and it sounds like a connection has come loose. Can anyone confirm this? HKlyce, is this what you were referring too? If this is the case then it should be an easy fix and a complete waste of money to have you car towed and the lock replaced. I am USAF based in England so I don't have the luxury of a US Nissan dealership, yes there is Nissan in England but they don't sell Altimas here so they are unfamiliar with my car, and it would cost a lot more to do the work. Also, my AC is an 08. I found this useful, http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/2 ... -work.html.

QR25DE
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 2.5L 6MT Turbo

eddie1951
Car: Nissan Altima 2009

There is a recall on this problem, get in touch with Nissan, I just got reimbursed over $1000.00 I paid to a local mechanic to fix the problem, it's a switch inside the steering column, I see a lot of people having the same problem, my car is an Altima sedan 2009. My car went dead on January on a very cold day., The recall applies to anybody who owns an Altima weather you bought it on the street or a dealer. Check Nissan's website for the list of recalls . good luck

eddie1951

statikanetik wrote:I got my car to start. I bought jumper cables because I thought it might be a battery issue because of the way the electronics was responding, but I am not sure if that was the problem. While I had the jumper cables attached I also tried the trick to shake the steering wheel up and down and in and out and it started. I tried the shaking method before without the jumpers on and it did not work, but maybe it was just a lucky shake when I had the jumpers on. So, just in case I let my car charge for about 30 minutes, and I drove a few miles. Throughout driving the Electronic Key Warning light stayed solid on. When I parked and hit the power button my car did not turn off, but the warning light went away, ok... So then I hit the power button again and the car turned off. I hit the ignition button to turn it on and it did turn it on fine and I did not see the warning light.

From what I have determined about the Steering Locking device is that there is just a fault in the wiring harness, and it sounds like a connection has come loose. Can anyone confirm this? HKlyce, is this what you were referring too? If this is the case then it should be an easy fix and a complete waste of money to have you car towed and the lock replaced. I am USAF based in England so I don't have the luxury of a US Nissan dealership, yes there is Nissan in England but they don't sell Altimas here so they are unfamiliar with my car, and it would cost a lot more to do the work. Also, my AC is an 08. I found this useful, http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/altima/2 ... -work.html.

eddie1951

09AltDawg wrote:Update: The car is at the dealership and the are saying that they need to replace the steering mechanism as it has malfunctioned. I am just baffled as to how this all of a sudden happens. They ran the diagnostic and this is the code they are getting back as the issue. Hopefully this will solve my issue, but it already proving to be too costly for my liking. If anybody out there knows anything about this issue please comment.

NISSAN Intelligent Key™
warning light
and then turns off.

eddie1951

funkee wrote:When you hit the Engine start button, without pressing the brake (or clutch) are you able to change modes? If so, you might be able to reprogram a new FOB (the key). It could very well be an issue with the FOB itself, despite what the diagnostic code says.

how-to-info-reset-ecu-pull-codes-reset- ... 25400.html

Ask them what the OBD II (OBD 2) code is, and research the issue yourself.

Could be an easy fix (disconnect battery for 10-15 min) and try again. If you have a spare key, try that too. If not, they could be right - that it is a steering lock failure. It has been known to happen to Altimas.

You could also try what this guy did with his GT-R... gently persuade the steering lock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBcj5DuqR4Q

If your car is at the dealership, talk to a manager before they replace something expensive. The part itself is about $450-$650. Ask the manager if they are sure that its the steering mechanism, and that they aren't just guessing. They'll of course say they're 100% sure. When they do, get them to guarantee it in writing; that if what they're about to install doesn't fix the issue - you don't pay for that part or the labor (of installation).

Make sure you tell them that you're not going to pay them to do trial and error. Don't be afraid to push them around and ask for your car back - even if it doesn't start. The fact that it doesn't start is leverage for them to do more repairs than might ultimately be necessary. If you're not happy, demand to speak to a supervisor. And you can always throw down with Consumer Affairs - 800-647-7261.

Don't let them sucker you into paying for the parts and labor - only for them to later say it must be something else. If they don't know how to fix something, don't end up paying for their training. And if you can help it at all, go to a private mechanic - unless you have a warranty for them to honor.

eddie1951

Dallman22 wrote:Thought I might chime in here...new user. I just got back from the dealership with my Altima and mine was doing the exact same thing. Intelligent key light would come on but the car wouldn't start or do anything, but the lock/unlock feature would still work. After a short diagnosis, the tech informed me it was the steering lock motor, which is more common than people think...it malfunctioned in the off/lock position. The part was $500 and with labor and a tow bill, the total was $801. The tech said there is nothing you can do to bypass it, just have to replace it. Hope this helps someone.

cbrudy
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

Ok i found a temporary fix and possible reasoning behind the issue (at least for my car). As a disclaimer, i am by no means car savvy but i do know how to fix computers and that to me is the issue.

Simply disconnect the Negative from the battery. Go try to start the car (foot on brake press button). It shouldnt have any lights on but by trying to start the car with no battery connected, it removes any stored power in any components. Then reconnect the Negative and it should start right up. (just dont use your intelli key to start the car). My reasoning is below.

Diagnostic
My girlfriend went to auto start her car this morning with her Intelli Key but when she got out there, it wasn't running. Then it wouldn't start even with the regular startup sequence: foot on brake and push the button. It sounded like it was ready to turn over but it wasn't getting gas. I decided to jump it because she has taken it to Nissan for the same issue on multiple occasions and all they did was swap out the battery and it works fine for a few months. Then she said this happens every winter. I asked her if she only uses her auto start in the winter? She said probably. That then told me it wasnt her battery at all but the relay between the Intelli Key and the computer. (Now im not sure if the computer is built into the steering lock motor and thats why everyone needed that part replaced. Now if the steering lock motor were the issue, i dont think i would have been able to drop it in neutral and steer it back so i could get my car next to it to jump it.) Now for the nerd part...

Reasoning
We have all seen the dreaded "Blue Screen of Death" on Windows machines and even the "Pinwheel of Death" for all you mac users. If you can read all that white text and understand it, you can figure out the problem by searching them in google. Its either a Hardware failure or a software update failure causing the system to lock up. Their are a number of steps every component in your computer needs to do just to start up but if a file is corrupt or something is wrong electrically the sequence stops. It does this in order to prevent further damage to additional hardware or the operating system.

A computer is still a computer whether its in your home or your car. So what i think is happening is the safety feature of the car does not allow anyone to start the car unless the key is within range. But you can automatically start the car by pressing the lock button twice. Because she was in the house she was out of range for a normal start but within range to auto start. The computer tells the engine to start but because the key is not within a closer range it doesnt turn over. Then when you expect to go to work to a nice warmed up car you see it never started. Manually trying to start it also doesnt work because the computer in programmed to prevent theft if the key is not within range. Because it already tried to start with no key detected the system locks up or bluescreens if you will. Even with the key in range, the computer is still on the first sequence and it cant start a new sequence unless the first finishes. Any button you hit on the keyboard doesnt fix it and the same goes for the engine button. The only option is to turn off the computer and hope it turns back on with no problems. So without having to pay for something that may not need to be replaced try this:

Solution
Simply disconnect the Negative from the battery. Go try to start the car (foot on brake press button). It shouldnt have any lights on but by trying to start the car with no battery connected, it removes any stored power in any capacitors or onboard batteries (CMOS). Hit the button a few times just for good measure. Then reconnect the Negative, tighten everything back up, and the car should start right up like nothing ever happened. I recommend that you just dont use your intelli key to start the car either near or far. So i hope my long winded explanation helps someone out there. We will be contacting the Nissan dealership to try and get the issue finally resolved and get refunded for the 3 batteries they said were bad when in fact they were practically still brand new because we only used them for 6 months and then this issue would pop back up. At least for now the car is running just fine. Best of luck

prattmic
Car: 2009 nissan altima SL

Had the same no start problem with my 2009 altima yesturday. Towed to dealer and they are saying its the ignition lock assembly. Close to 700.00 to fix.
:ohno:

CoupeVQ35CVT
Car: '98 Lexus GS400, '91 'Yota Land Cruiser
'09 Altima Coupe 3.5SE CVT, '06 Sentra 1.8 SE

prattmic wrote:Had the same no start problem with my 2009 altima yesturday. Towed to dealer and they are saying its the ignition lock assembly. Close to 700.00 to fix.
:ohno:
If you read mid way above there is a recall on this or at least a reimbursement from Nissan for getting this exact part fixed (steering lock). Ask your dealer about this before you dish out any cash!

mmcenery
Car: 2009 nissan altima 2.5s 4d

I just ran into this same problem sunday night. I tried everything in this forum and no luck. I had my vehicle towed to the dealer and i had to pay $380 to get it fixed. I have the 5 yr 100k mile warranty and the wheel lock was covered along with the tow.

They said they ran a diagnosis and stated they needed to reset the can bus network communication as needed. received fault code u0100- can communication. they performed wheel alignment as part of reconfiguration. Now I feel like I got hosed.

I have 86k on the vehicle and they said that this problem doesnt fall under the warranty. They cant explain how or why and wouldnt provide a loaner or rental( part of the agreement in the pointless warranty). I had no choice but to pay for the service because I couldnt call out of work 2 days in a row.

While this is going on I have an open case with nissan consumer affairs and the lady called me to state Nissan isnt going to do anything for me.

Now this problem is covered under the default 3yr 36k but not under the extended. Is there anyone that knows what is going on here?

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”