Intelligent Key Issue: Will not Start

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
mndkins
Car: 2009 Altima SE Coupe

I just had this problem today with my 09 Altima SE Coupe (Manual).
Went out to the garage to start the vehicle, and it wouldn't start. The "key" icon was not flashing, but on steady. All other lights were on and the key fob worked to lock and unlock the vehicle.
Called the Nissan line that was provided in the above posts, and they verified that the Electronic Steering Column Lock warranty was extended til 2015.
Had it towed to my local dealership, and they had it fixed in 2 hours, with no charge to me.

bhagman
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima

Happened to me and my family tonight as well. We were 60 miles from home and parked at a shopping mall. We had just finished dinner and got to the car. It wouldn't start and the Key Light indicator on the dash was lit. I tried several things that were listed in the previous posts but nothing worked. I will have to get the car towed to a local dealership on Monday and see what the cost is going to be. I am pretty frustrated after hearing all the issues people have been having and no recall on this. I have a 2009 Altima and not sure I will ever buy another one.

Tibbar10

I just started to have this same problem. Called 1-800-NISSAN1 who told me to have my car towed in the morning; sounds like they have to replace the electronic steering lock mechanism. While I'm at it I think I'll have them check the brakes as well. According to NissanAssist.com both of these issues have retained extended warranty.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Having the same problem with an 09 Altima.
AAA towed it to the dealer yesterday where it is spending the weekend.
Neither remote is being recognized and the car will not start

Telcoman

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Great news Dealer said "covered under warranty"

http://www.nissanassist.com/web/ESCL_Wa ... hp?menu=62

Telcoman

RogerGA
Car: Nissan Altima 2009 60k miles

This happened to me the yellow key light blinking on the dash with the remote being able to open lock the doors and trunk.
I googled around found this thread. Tried the negative terminal removal - did not work. Finally I released the tilt/telescope lock and moved the steering up/down and on the second attempt i was able to start the car. Thanks a ton to all you guys who contributed here .

I took the car to the dealer told him what happened and I also told him I have a video of this. He said unless we see the problem or the OBD pulls the code we cannot do anything . He was not interested in the video. They took the car in and returned it in 45 minutes stating
cannot duplicate concern
. The concern in the ticket states
customer states steering lock has failed
I told him there was no way for me to pay for a tow and this is the best I could do. He insists that car must be in the condition for them to pull the obd to do a warranty repair :mad:

So Im stuck with a car which might very well do the same the next time and I must pay $$$$ to tow it to show the problem

Any thoughts ?

bobw999

thank you for the thread. This Firday night I went to my car outside a ball park and it would not start. the remote opened the doors and the lights worked, but car would not start, it just seemed like it was eelctronically locked. I had it towed to Nissan overnight. I woke up early Sat morning and I found this thread, and yes it was the steering lock mechanism and the Nissan dealer fixed it in 2 hours no charge.

idaslaptya
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 4-cylinder Sedan

I had the issue a couple of years ago. It turns out that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. You can purchase it from the dealer for about $50 and replace it yourself. It's located behind the brake pedal. Good luck!

avilacat
Car: 2012 Altima

Happened to me yesterday (Sunday) on my 2012 Altima. Neither fob would open the car nor could i open with the button on the door handle so i used the manual key to get in. brake was hard, car would not start, door locks would not work. light on the display with a car and key was blinking and making a ticking sound so i looked it up in the manual which stated, " Security indicator light
The security indicator light blinks whenever the
ignition switch is placed in the OFF, LOCK or ACC
position. This function indicates the NISSAN Vehicle
Immobilizer System is operational.
If the NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System is malfunctioning,
the light will remain on while the
ignition switch is placed in the ON position.
If the light still remains on and/or the engine
will not start, see a NISSAN dealer for
NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System service
as soon as possible. Please bring all
registered keys that you have when visiting
your NISSAN dealer for service"

I had the car towed to the dealer and after my second call today to find out what the problem was, the service manager is telling me the battery was dead!!!!!

Waveraider
Car: 2009 Altima and 2011 Rogue.

Hello everyone. I'm. New to the forum and the newest member of the "steering lock motor" issue. Had my '09 towed in ($75 plus tip). I'm also worried, because when my car wouldn't restart I had three windows rolled down and could not get them up. They said they will cover the windows, but I have my doubts....

Waveraider
Car: 2009 Altima and 2011 Rogue.

Update on my Altima. My local Dealership said that I am covered under warranty, but the part is on backorder with no date of delivery from Nissan. Could be a week, or month, and no loaner car service.... :mad:

ahmedabdo666
Car: Nissan Altima 2010

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I had my car fixed :) for only 35$
I am Egyptian working in KSA
My car is Altima 2010
The problems were:
1-Intelligent Key Issue: Will not Start
2-The center lock did not work
3-The car did not recognize the 2 remotes i have
4- The security key was on wen i hit the ignition button
5- The touch of opening the doors or the trunk did not work

I had a tow to move my car from work location to Nissan maintenance branch but the branch was closed for ever, then I asked the tow driver to take it to another branch and he wanted the money to be double! And i was not sure if the 2nd branch is open or not, so I decided to park it near home which was on the way of the second branch, the second day iI went to a technical for cars electricity to check my car,he is smart guy from Yemen, he just took a screw diver + some wires + wrench , he went directly to the battery to check its two poles, the negative one was OK and it has only one wire, the second pole has 4 wires, one of them was offline( no electricity ) so he connected the offline wire to one of the other 3 wires which has electricity . sorry for my English but i wanted to help :)

Koushtj
Car: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

Had this happen to me last Saturday. Car didnt start, had it towed by roadside assisstance (75$). Ended up obviously being the steering wheel lock mechanism which is covered under the warranty extension on this part.

ddoublevvision

This happened to my 2009 Altima just a few weeks ago, and to replace the part was a total of $1,056. Was delighted that the warranty was extended to cover this issue, until I realized that my extension expired on June 20th, 2015.

So long story short, Nissan-Assist will not reimburse me because it would have had to have broken down prior to 6/20/2015. I missed it by less than 6 weeks. I was so furious I simply hung up on the Nissan Consumer Repairs lady.

I can't understand why they put a 6 year limit on this issue. A defective part is a defective part. Had I purchased the car six weeks later, then it would have been covered. It makes no sense!

If anyone has any idea on what I can do to fight this ruling, please post here. It would be greatly appreciated!

vstarkweather
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid

ddoublevvision wrote:This happened to my 2009 Altima just a few weeks ago, and to replace the part was a total of $1,056. Was delighted that the warranty was extended to cover this issue, until I realized that my extension expired on June 20th, 2015.

So long story short, Nissan-Assist will not reimburse me because it would have had to have broken down prior to 6/20/2015. I missed it by less than 6 weeks. I was so furious I simply hung up on the Nissan Consumer Repairs lady.

I can't understand why they put a 6 year limit on this issue. A defective part is a defective part. Had I purchased the car six weeks later, then it would have been covered. It makes no sense!

If anyone has any idea on what I can do to fight this ruling, please post here. It would be greatly appreciated!
Same situation for me, but I'm 10 months too late for the extended warranty. I spent this morning following this guy's advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIT_Yl6BFuA

Since I didn't have a second set of hands available, I duct-taped (ah yes, duck tape!) a shim into the steering lock mechanism, and then went and pulled the fuse. I removed the shim, which caused the bolt thing in the steering lock to return to the "up" position. As a test, I turned off the car, and tried to turn it on again. Despite following the instructions in the video, without keeping the bolt in the steering lock depressed the car would not start. So the jerry-rigged fix is still in place: a shim is duct-taped into the mechanism, holding down the steering lock bolt. The car starts and runs fine.

Now the question is, can I leave it like this? Not sure that I want to spend at least $400 for the part, if I don't need to.

eaemthomas
Car: 2010 Nissan Cube

I have a 2010 Nissan Cube. I bought it less than three weeks ago. Last week the check engine light came on. My husband called the dealership to make an appointment because it is still under a 30 day warranty. This morning it wouldn't start. I tried both my key fob and my husbands in the car with me. And nothing. I can get it to go into the mode where the radio will work and the lights will come on and the doors will unlock but nothing from the ignition. I would love to take it to the dealership but I can't get it started to get there. Any suggestions.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Is the check engine light coming on? Have you tried starting the car by physically inserting the key fob into the ignition? If this doesn't work, try disconnecting the battery to see if a system reset resolves the problem. This could be the classic ignition failure that some Nissan's experience. Worse case scenario will be to have the car towed to the dealership you purchased the car from.

Lilie01
Car: 2009 Altima Nissan coupe

I had a steering lock malfunction as well in my 2009 altima and instead went on YouTube and there is a way to fix this problem. It only took my brother 20 mins! And hasn't gave me a problem since
Look up 2009 altima steering lock

Cybergy
Car: 2009 Altima Sedan

This treat from Nissan was waiting for my wife's 2009 Altima at 6am yesterday when she was leaving for work. She took my car to work instead so my plan for the day was to get her car going again. I explained to the service manager what I thought the problem was, the now expired warranty extension, and the dealer offered nothing except a full repair and full bill which includes a tow, $500 part + labour, + new fobs and reprogramming around $1,500. :wtf2: Nissan??

This video probably helped me the most https://youtu.be/qIT_Yl6BFuA however, I was not able to push the lock pin back enough. I assume it was blocked inside somehow.

As well as this one https://youtu.be/YAYmMFm2L_Q

Together they gave me an idea what I needed to do, along with some various forum posts. Basically, you need to remove the lower panel below the steering wheel (I think there was one screw behind the fuse panel door and a bunch of tabs holding the rest - it gently pulls away starting at the left side). I removed the two electronic steering column lock (ESCL) box screws with needlenose pliers (quite easy to turn), disconnected the plug and beat the hell out of it on the bench trying to open it up - which I was unsuccesful in doing. That was probably a good thing as I may have damaged a circuit board and no telling if the fix would be possible with a dead ESCL. However the beating was enough to release the mechanism I found because I reconnected the plug to the ESCL, the "key" indicator had disappeared, and was able to start the engine. Then with the car running I pulled the steering lock fuse behind the battery under the hood to make the fix permanent. I will not be re-installing the fuse. I tie-wrapped the box to a brace to stop it from falling or banging around, but I chose not to re-install it. Where I tie-wrapped it, on the left side metal brace, leaves the ESCL in good wacking position through the fuse panel door so there's no need to pull down the lower panel to gain access to it. I use a heavy ratchet extension bar to stab at the ESCL. Poetry... :chuckle:

The first time I did this, I went back to the car an hour later and the problem had returned, so I put the fuse back, wacked the ESCL again, started the engine, pulled the fuse, and I'm now waiting to see if I got it this time. People say this should be a permanent fix, although I won't have a steering lock - I don't care. Saved me $1500-ish dealer repair.

rcblinn

... Just paid the dealer $1000 to replace the steering column lock -- part price labelled $666 - wonder why?
Didn't try any home remedies mentioned here. As a working-stiff, did not have time, nor did DW have the patience.

Complained to the CSR that we shouldn't be out $1000 just 'cuz the extended warranty on the part expired last June and ours didn't break soon enuff. He shrugged -- "Your beef is with Nissan national. We just do what we're told."

Wonder if there's any interest in a class-action?

m0388
Car: Nissan Altima

Did anyone talked recently to Nissan Assist or a car dealer?

Its wrong that the Nissan guys are not fixing a known problem, but waiting on buyers to face trouble :mad: :mad: :mad:

Katsim13
Car: 2008 Altima
2005 Xterra

The steering lock mechanism appears to be a frequent and expensive problem. Everyone with this issue should file a complaint with Safercar.gov.

My 2008 Altima was just diagnosed with same problem, steering lock mechanism. Including the diagnostic test they ran, the total cost for repair will be $1100.00. I just filed a complaint with Safercar.gov at 1.888.327.4236. If enough people report this problem a recall would be possible. Even if you have already paid for this repair, you could possibly be reimbursed if a recall occurs. Please make the call! From what I've seen on this site and YouTube, this is a common problem.

danjomulh
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Coupe Manual

This happened to me a few weeks ago. Went out to my car after work one night. It was dark, late, and the roads were quickly turning to ice and I was not looking forward to the drive home. Previous nights like this have taken me in excess of 90 minutes to go 10 miles. We were told to stay off the roads, but I hadn't been able to get home yet despite closing up shop early in the name of safety. The FOB unlocked my doors, all the lights powered on, but I couldn't in the slightest get my car to start. Absolutely no attempt at starting as I hit the Start button. It wouldn't click to ACC or ON, and it also didn't seem to recognize my key (or spare key) in order to start my car... which was odd, being that I could use it to lock and unlock my doors. I inserted it in the FOB holder, and the Start button did nothing. Just a key indicator telling me to remove the key, and then the security light flashing on the dash. I cussed the car out as ice and snow fell, sitting alone in the parking lot at work, not able to feel my now freezing hands. I called roadside and was told it could be a few hours to get a tow. Couldn't even get the heater on to stay warm, and every business nearby was closed due to the ice. I started to freak a bit, wondering what it'd feel like to freeze to death.

Got a ride from a brave coworker who came back for me (who also drives a Nissan, go figure!), made it home ever so slowly, and I researched the hell out of the issue. All signs pointed to ESCL failure. A safety/security feature that was known my Nissan to fail to the point that they extended the warranty on that part for some extra years, but my 2009 didn't fit the failure timeframe. Nevermind that my car had only 45000 miles on it. I now owned a paperweight.

So I got a rental the next day, dealt with getting around, called my dealership and they said it'd be roughly $1100 to repair "IF" that was the issue. I was not pleased, but I took it in stride and told them I might call them back.

After doing a lot of self-diagnosis, reading forums, watching YouTube's, and confirming that the steering column lock was the issue, I went back to work the next day and took off the bottom dash housing, found the readily accessible part, and started banging the hell out of it with a wrench to get the locking pin to drop. Took me 10 minutes, but the car finally let me switch to ACC mode. I stopped breathing and just held my breath. Pushed the clutch in, hit Start one more time and the engine started, good and strong.

I drove it, and it worked just fine. I parked it, left the car running, locked the doors, and walked back into work to do some more research before attempting to turn it off. I had heard that pulling the fuse for the ESCL to keep it from engaging was a good fix, and so... I did.

It's started every time, ever since. But I don't have the same peace-of-mind that I used to. This is a car with less than 50K miles on it, fully maintained, but this one part is enough from keeping you from starting your car. I don't consider this a wear'n'tear issue, but a straight-up safety issue. I've read hundreds of complaints about this by now, and that Nissan is unwilling to replace this part at their cost for the life of the vehicle... that's just not good business practice. Someone will die from this one day when they are stranded in the middle of nowhere in extreme weather.

I've been going back and forth with Nissan Consumer Affairs about it. We've played phone tag for the past week, being that every time I call, it goes to VM. I'm told to leave a detailed message, that the rep is on the phone most of the day so they may not be able to take my call, but hey... I'm a working man and can't wait by the phone 8 hours a day for an incoming call. I told them via VM and email that all I need to know is if Nissan is willing to fix the part at their cost, or if they won't do it unless it's at my cost, and to let me know... and I'm told via VM that they have to tell me their decision verbally. And so I wait. I told them to try me on Monday as I plan on having my phone on me the entire day with the ringer set to high, though I'm sure I know the answer. I've got no hate for the customer service rep, but this angers me. I've owned multiple Nissans, purchased from the dealership, learned to drive on a Nissan, my father and grandfather both owned Nissans, but this is not cool.

So for the time being... my car starts. It drives great. It's fun to drive, but I have no peace of mind now. The resale value and security of my car is affected. I vow to never buy Nissan again once I'm done with this car. They can take their $4B in pure profits from last year and shove it.

RomeoZero15
Car: 09 Nissan Altima

It looks like all of your collective efforts finally paid off. I ran into the same issue two weeks ago and the dealership said it was the battery. After doing a ton of research (including visiting this forum) I realized that it had to be the Electronic steering column lock. So my 09 Altima died on me again this past weekend and after bringing it in, the same dealership mechanic let me know that Nissan formally issued a recall on that part. It was replaced for free instead of a $1000 part. The recall was effective for 20 FEB. Spread the word if you can. If you go to the Nissan USA site and enter your VIN, you can see if your vehicle is affected by the recall.

musafirmohd82
Car: my car nissan altima 2011 sedan 2.5

Hi
My Altima 2011 had same ignition problem, a technician took out steering lock control module and reprogrammed it, now car is OK, but the key light is still on all the time..so what can be done next...
pls advise

ejjoseph
Car: 2009 Altima Hybrid, 2008 V6, 1980 280zx

My 2009 Altima Hybrid just failed here in Boston in 8 degree weather. AAA driver said he sees a lot of this happening to Nissan owners. Did a lot of research on this, and this is what I found out. The on board computer (ECU) checks several things before allowing you to start. FOB in vicinity with proper code, shift in park, foot on the brake, and......if the Steering Lock Control Unit responds with proper code. More often than not, it's the Steering Lock Unit failing to give the ECU the correct code because of a failure. This unit is commanded by the ECU to power it's little motor to drive a small locking bar into the steering column ring-like-gear and lock the steering column. If it fails to complete this task, it will not give the ECU a completion code, and the ECU will turn on the small key light you see in the dash. From what I've read, it may have Hall Effect ICs that sense when the bar has moved into place.
The unit may have a burned out motor, or a bad circuit board, or just a gummed or broken bar. If you can remove the unit and force the bar to come out, that may fool the ECU into believing it's locked, and it may send back the correct code. Of course, the IC board inside must be working to do this. If you get your car to properly start up this way, remove the steering lock fuse, (as others have done), and this may fix the problem,(as others have confirmed on other forums).
If you decide to replace the unit from Nissan and install it yourself....shop around, there are discounted parts everywhere online. I will be pulling the module out and proceeding with this fix, tomorrow....New Years Day. Towing it to a dealer and paying $800 to $1000 is out of the question for me.
I am an Electrical Engineer, and having once worked for Ford Motor Company, I find shortcuts around problems like this all the time. If I could find the schematic for the circuit board inside the Steering Lock module, I am certain I could figure a good solution that might be better than pulling the fuse.
If you decide to 'fix' your problem like I plan to do, and you succeed, make sure that the locking bar is secure and will never accidently come out and lock the column while you are driving.
I am not sure why pulling the fuse fixes this problem. I would think the locking module needs power to communicate with the ECU. But it's worth a try and not that hard to do.
Heading to Florida with this car on Saturday if all works well for me. I will post results as time permits.
Good Luck.
Dockit

ejjoseph

Just got back from Nissan Dealer in Chelmsford MA and I am delighted! They checked the VIN number on my 2009 Altima Hybrid with 117,000 miles and told me they would replace the failed unit with the upgraded model at no no charge! Took about an hour and a half for them to install the replacement that does NOT lock the steering wheel. They also did not reinstall the 10amp fuse I had pulled out.
I drove the car to the dealer this morning, Jan 2nd, after 'fixing' the module on New Years Day by jamming the locking bar into the unit and tie-wrapping the unit to the support bar. Nissan will reimburse the Dealer for $161. Not a bad deal for everyone involved.
Just so you all know.....Dorman sells a fully working 'improved' unit for $200 available from Rock Auto if anyone still wants the locking capability. Also, the Nissan upgraded replacement unit that they installed in my Altima and eliminates the locking bar and motor, is available on eBay from several sellers at just under $100. Hope this helps anyone that doesn't get covered by the new campaign.
I hope this fix lasts, and good luck to all.

Dockit

ejjoseph

musafirmohd82 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:11 am
Hi
See the Post I just left below yours. My 2009 Altima was covered by the new campaign. They mentioned recall, and will probably include your car. Contact your local dealer.

Dockit

rabernet
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV

I no longer have my 2009 Altima, but I also experienced the steering lock failure last year and had to have my car towed from work to the closest dealership, which ended up being a blessing in disguise, because I now use this dealership exclusively (which is 20 miles from my home vs 3 miles to the closest dealership that tried to convince me I needed to replace all brakes - and the 20 mile one checked and said they had plenty of wear left). The 20 mile one always has a courtesy car available for me now, when I drop off during the work day so that I can head back to work, even for routine maintenance, like oil changes.

Anyway - mine was covered under the recall and Nissan reimbursed me for the tow. I traded my Altima in two weeks ago and purchased my parents' 2016 Rogue (they upgraded to a 2019 AWD Rogue).

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”