Installing aftermarket speakers

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
skholla
Car: 09 Nissan Rogue SL, 97 Acura EL

For a stock system the sound from my Rogue SL is decent but I'm looking for better range and clarity. After reading a couple other threads on here I've decided to replace the stock door speakers with 2-way Infinity Reference speakers but have a few questions...

1 Are the front speakers 6x8” or 6x9”2 Are the rear speakers 6.5”3 What about the dash mounted stock tweeters? Should I leave them connected or should I disconnect them?4 Is there a stock crossover for the front door and dash speakers? If so wont that kill the high end going to my new door mounted 2-ways?

Any other info is appectiated, TIA!

skholla

ttt

harryg
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

i think this might help

zer...rs-in

skholla

thanks ive already read that tho...

this thread says 6x9 in front and 6.5 in the rearhttp://forums.nicoclub.com/zer...rs-in

this thread says 6x8 in the fronthttp://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=318091

... so im looking for a definite answer, is it 6x8 or 6x9 in front? also is it recommended to disconnect the factory tweeter or should i just leave it running?

Leo2005

Information was taken from http://www.metraonline.com

Without Bose:Speaker SpecificationsLocation Size DepthFront Speaker 6X9 3Front Tweeter 1 1Rear Speaker 6.5 3

With Bose:Speaker SpecificationsLocation Size DepthFront Speaker 6X9 3Front Tweeter 1 1Rear Speaker 6.5 3Center Speaker 3 2Subwoofer 6.5 2

skholla

thanks for the info Leo, are you sure that the fronts are 6x9? i saw that you replaced your rear speakers but have you replaced your fronts?

according to this dude they are 6x8 but going by the length of the speaker and the position of the mounting holes id say that the fronts are indeed 6x9...zerothread?id=318091

this dude installed JL Audio C5-570 speakers in the front, those are 6x8 (aka 5x7) not 6x9...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3012622

... anybody replace their front speakers, what size did you use?

Leo2005

I didn't install front ones yet but soon I'll order them. And I'm ordering 6x8 which is the same as 5x7. The reason I'm ordering this size is because JL does not make speakers ZR series with 6x9. Should fit without problems it is only 1" anyway. The worst case scenario I would have to drill 2 holes inside of a door.

skholla

Leo, you going to leave the dash mounted tweeters connected?

Anyone else replace their front door speakers?

Leo2005

If you talking about front ones then I don't have them. My car didn't come with premium pckg. BTW I'm following my friend's setup in his vw passat. In the back doors he has tweeters from manufacture right next to the door lock handle. And that's why I installed tweeters over there. Sounds really good but now it's time for other doors. I think I'll install tweeters right next to the speaker at the bottom because otherwise it will make too much of the high frequency and may not sound good.

Leo2005

Just an update:Just replaced the hatch but didn't make any pictures. Sorry to those who asked me for pics on how to replace the hatch but it wasn't too hard. I also putted DYNOMAT on front doors as well as hatch (rear doors are done a while ago) and want to confirm that front speakers are 6x9:Tomorrow my JL 6x8 ZR are comming and more pics comming soon...

skholla

nice, thanks for confirming the front speaker sizes, great job with the dynamat too!

you wrote that you replaced the hatch, what hatch are you talking about?

Leo2005

Back door. My mom backed up in a tree. Damaged freshly installed spoiler which went to the trash, back door, window and rear bumper. Installed brand new freshly painted door but no window yet(will install it tomorrow). Bumper will be untouched for now. Still have to order that panel above the license plate which cost $200 on one of nico's sponsor. The only part that will be covered with insurance is rear window because we didn't make claim.

skholla

Damn Leo, that sucks, sorry to hear about the accident, good work on the install though!

I was under the impression that I had 6 speakers in my Rogue SL FWD but after doing some listening this past weekend I found out that I only have 4, no stock tweeters for me! I will be ordering the following soon and will post pics of my install later, it seems like I should be able to re-use the front stock speaker spacers but will have to purchase new ones for the rear, I'm looking at these, check them out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Rear-Spe...l1262

My shopping list:- Infinity Reference 3-way 6x9" speakers- Infinity Reference 2-way 6.5" speakers- Dynamat standard trunk kit, 20 sqft (front & rear doors)- MJM Auto rear speaker spacers/adapters

wazi3
Car: Nissan Rogue

Sorry to reawaken a dead thread but i was wondering how your install went? Was it smooth? do you have picture?

BTW thanks for the speaker info

Leo2005

The installation for front speakers took me a while because JL never made 6x9 ZR series and I had to go with 5x7 ZR. I could go with adapters from 6x9 to 6.5 round speakers but I didn't want to loose the shape of the speakers that was designed originally by Nissan. I'm pretty sure they putted oval speakers for a reason but the output was great. I think it's time to get the amp for my new speakers now. I had to fabricate the adapter for 5x7 since nobody ever made them from 6x9 to 5x7. Also I decided to install tweeters near windshield like bose system was designed originally. Here's some pics:
P.S. Dynamat insulation was damaged by the dealership when they were fixing my door handle during the winter so now I have to order more.

axel10
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Leo - first, you must know that I have followed your efforts here for sometime now, and have successfully upgraded my rear speakers using your experiences to guide me through. I am now in the verge of moving to the front doors, but obviously the front is a little more complicated. I have a few questions that I am hoping you or someone else may answer:

1) What are the color codes for the wiring at the front doors? I intend on using the factory wires until I upgrade the head unit.

2) I was under the impression that both the Bose and non-Bose systems included tweeters? Did you not find factory tweeters at the front location where you installed your tweeters? A local car stereo shop told me that my 2010 SL AWD does have two factory tweeters installed..or at least according to their computer.

3) How did you access the tweeter locations? Is it a matter of simply popping out the small grills?

Anyway - thanks again for your wonderful images and details - in fact, this whole forum is the best!

Leo2005

1)Well I don't remember anymore. It was awhile ago and I never putted it on the paper. If you trying to find + and - for the speaker then the best way for you will be when you cut the connector for the speaker connect your speaker WITH original connector to the 1.5V-9V battery. If your cone move outward then your plus is connected to the plus of the battery.
2)Tweeters come ONLY with Bose system. Even the covers where I have my tweeters don't have any holes but grilles for tweeters with bose coming with holes for the sound.
3) Grilles you can pop with screw driver but then it will be a PITA to get a wire from there to the speaker especially if you want to keep clean look like it came from manufacture and run the wires throw black rubber that goes between door and the car. A little bit easier to do it on the passenger's side.

redeyecreative
Car: Nissan Rogue 2010 Krom

Hi there all,

So I have tried reading through all the different threads about the front speakers on the Rogue. I was wondering if anyone has found a 6x9 or 6x8 that fits without much modification or fabrication. I am not very "skilled" and was going to have them installed but wanted to make sure it was as simple and as stock of an installation as possible. Does anyone have specific model numbers and brands that fit the front. I have been told the height is an issue (with the tweeter etc). I am wondering if anyone has a definitive answer for what brand to get that would work? I thank everyone in advance.

axel10

An oval speaker is inherently less powerful that a round one, so I decided to stay away from duplicating the mistake Nissan made by using a 6x9 in the front doors. Instead I used a 6x9 adapter to install 6 3/4 speakers in the front doors (can also use 6 1/2 speakers) - which give you many more options in quality and sound. I used the following in the front doors:

1) 6x9 - 6½" Speaker Adapters Nissan Rogue 08-09 Front from ebay (car-speakers-adapters.com). The guys who runs this shop is a poor communicator and uses the slowest mail ever, but they eventually arrive.

2) Pioneer TSD720C (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_122 ... D720C.html) components with tweeters mounted below windshield.

3) Dynamat Speaker kit (http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_aud ... r_kit.html) only around ad directly behind speaker. Unless you are installing in the doors of a 1984 Chevy pickup there is no need to dampen the entire door...really. The Rogue already has plenty on dampening from the factory.

Anyway, the whole experience was a tone of fun, and I could not have done it without the help I found on this forum.

Peace!

Leo2005

axel10 wrote:An oval speaker is inherently less powerful that a round one, so I decided to stay away from duplicating the mistake Nissan made by using a 6x9 in the front doors. Instead I used a 6x9 adapter to install 6 3/4 speakers in the front doors (can also use 6 1/2 speakers) - which give you many more options in quality and sound.
Hard to agree with it because it could be true about 10 years ago or more but nowadays manufacture learned how to create larger speakers to maximize cone size in an available space, since larger cone area moves more air they produce clearer voice. So it all depends on your requirements. Round speaker wins over oval only if you want more bass but if you want clear sound for the voice then keep the original oval. Trust me...it is there for a reason and if you want more bass then you always can add a subwoofer (that's what I did actually) but if you upgrade the speakers make sure to get a good trusted brand.

Leo2005

That is interesting...maybe there's something good about round speakers because my friend stopped by a few hours earlier and he bought today '10 mitsu outlander for his wife. I checked the speakers and they come 6.5 front and rear. The only funny part for me to see about the speakers in Rogue is that usually car manufactures putting oval speakers in the back but not the front when Mitsu decided to use round speakers on both sides. Still I love my setup because it's clear and loud and I'm not gonna touch it unless maybe I'll put amplifier later on.

MadOx75
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust
Hertz/Audison Speakers & Amps

I think the shape is more important with lower end speakers... When you get into the stuff made with higher end materials, the differences between the two shapes will lessen dramatically. But the strength of an oval cone is just inherently less than the strength of a round one, so it will tend to distort easier at higher volumes. Again though, if you're buying higher end stuff, you really shouldn't have a problem. I will say that the Hertz 6x9 3 ways I had in the rear deck of my Ford gave up the ghost well before the same series Hertz 6.5" component woofer. So much so that I just ended up taking them out because they made the system sound worse...

MadOx75
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust
Hertz/Audison Speakers & Amps

Real quick, and not to hijack the thread - Where did you guys end up putting your amps? I had and all active setup (no crossovers) in my Ford, so I have a 5 channel, 540W Audison amp (1 channel for each front component woofer and tweeter, and 1 for the subs) and a 2 channel 220W amp (for the back door coax). I'm sure I can find a place to hide the 2 channel, because its a small, but the 5 channel is over a foot long, and I'm trying to figure a place to put it...

axel10

Leo2005 wrote: Round speaker wins over oval only if you want more bass but if you want clear sound for the voice then keep the original oval.
I am no audio expert, but basic physics tells me that the exact opposite is true. A larger speaker will displace more air and thus create more bass. A 6x9, or an oval speaker, has more area compared to a round speaker of similar size, which means it will produce more bass. However, a round speaker is inherently more rigid compared to an oval, and as a result less likely to distort (=superior sound), which is why I prefer a round speaker.

The point really is to go with what you like, and buy the best you can afford - it really is not hard to improve upon the less than mediocre system Nissan chose. :crazy:

Azc1984
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue

I'm thinking of adding premium speakers, an amp, and a subwoofer. Do I need to replace the head unit?

skholla

I installed Polk Audio DB series 6x9" in the front and 6.5" in the rear. I used these speakers adapters for the rear... And also used a Dynamat Xtreme Door Kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Rear-Speaker- ... 1512wt_898

Swapping the speakers was a night and day difference but the OEM head unit lacked power. I upgraded to a Pioneer head unit and the new speakers came alive, great bass from the from 6x9" speakers.

Leo2005

Same adapter I used a while ago and it does the job. How was the installation on front ones?

skholla

Easy as pie, no tweaking required. I have to find the pics...

skholla

My front speaker install...

skholla

My rear speaker install...

Return to “Rogue Forum”