Installing Block Heater in the Rogue QR25DE engine

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

Anyone have a factory block heater installed on your Rogue?

Qashqai

All Canadian Rogue's have block heater installed as a default.

As far as I know, they are using Philips&Temro block heaters (look at page 21 below).

http://www.phillipsandtemro.com/userfil ... xed(3).pdf

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

Qashqai wrote:All Canadian Rogue's have block heater installed as a default.

As far as I know, they are using Philips&Temro block heaters (look at page 21 below).

http://www.phillipsandtemro.com/userfil ... xed(3).pdf
Thanks for the reply Qashqai. Are you in Canada? Do you know if the factory heaters just have the power cord coiled up in the engine bay so you have to open the hood to plug it in?

Qashqai

It is my pleasure to help you!

Yes I am in Canada. The block heater is coiled and zip-tied on the frame (behind passenger headlamp, somewhere above the alternator). The dealer said, you need to open the hood an take the plug out and connect it to the wall outlet every time you need to use or you can keep the plug outside the hood. In both cases, the cable can be pinched, the plug will move and scratch the paint of the car etc.

Thankfully, the guys at Nissan Canada are more clever than the dealer.

They attached a special clamp to the cable, close to the plug (I never saw that type of clamp before). That plastic clamp has metal teeth and designed to be attached to the plastic grill on the bumper.

What I did is to run the coiled block heater wire through the front frame (behind the front grill and below the headlamp) and attach it to the bottom air intake grills on the bumper.

I will upload some pictures soon.

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

We know the Canadian Rogues come with block heaters as std equipment. It baffles me why my dealer in NW Oregon was not able to get one or even quote installation. Although it rarely dips below 0(F) in my part of the country, I know our friends in Montana, the upper mid West and Great Lakes have the same winters they get in central Canada. I don't understand why a block heater is not at least an option for certain markets in the US.

I have had block heaters on my last 3 vehicles. I park my car outside and it sure is nice to get in the car at 20F or lower, start it up and have adequate heat to defrost the windows, warm up the cabin and take off in less than 60 seconds. Saves gas and engine wear too.

So I finally located the block heater port (plug) here (located front of engine, passenger side):

The heater is really available from Nissan (p/n 11001-6P700) or major auto parts stores ( Zerostart - Engine Heater Part # 3100007):

It's a 30mm threaded unit. I have seen other threads on this forum saying you have to pull the alternator and even the water pump to install it? I don't think so. Looks to me like you drain the coolant, pull the lower plastic pan and do it from underneath.

Would really like to hear from ANYONE who has done this?

Thanks guys...

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i am thinking about installing one. i looked up out engine code via google and found this image. the plug we need is the rusted one on the left in this image (passenger side)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i am thinking about installing one

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix video link

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

5.56 wrote:i am thinking about installing one. i looked up out engine code via google and found this image. the plug we need is the rusted one on the left in this image (passenger side)
Greetings Mr. Stricken. Thanks for the video. Yours is a better view (but rustier) than the picture I posted earlier in this thread. That cyl block you posted looked like it had been immersed in seawater. Is that because they salt the roads in CT?

The heater is a 30mm threaded type. I made a few calls and searches looking for the right heater. I called dealers in NW Oregon and no one here stocks the factory unit. I then figured the best people to talk to are the people who live in the cold, so I emailed Continental Nissan in Anchorage AK. The manager (John) told me they prefer a heater provided by an affiliate supplier. Here's a picture:

This one looks like a much higher quality unit than the others I've see on line, even the Nissan factory version. The cord is protected with corrugated wrap full length and is insulated near the exhaust manifold. Plus there is a plug cover. $79 plus shipping. If anyone sees this unit elsewhere for less please let us know, otherwise you can contact them here:

Continental Nissan of Anchorage (3982)
5115 Old Seward Hwy
Anchorage, AK 99503
(907) 334-6230 Direct
(907) 334-6206 Fax
1-800-478-2747 Toll Free
[email protected]

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

phmichel, thanks so much for that post! great research. any reason as to why they prefer a non-oem unit?

(ps: this was a NJ engine! ;) )

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

5.56 wrote:phmichel, thanks so much for that post! great research. any reason as to why they prefer a non-oem unit?

(ps: this was a NJ engine! ;) )
Unless I'm mistaken the OEM heater cords don't have the gauge or the protection that this one has. They're both 400W elements.

Maybe our Canadian friends could show us a picture of the factory setup and the cord layout? Living with block heaters for many years I know that summer is actually the worst time for a heater because that's when the cords can cook (and melt) in the engine bay if not protected.

I thought you were in CT, no? Either way, those engines must have seen some salt. Thanks for the reply.

Paul

outtolearn88
Car: Rogue SL AWD

The cold weather is coming... I find my 2014 Rogue is very long to put out heat inside. I've had it checked out from the dealer to be told that " Alll is right that it's NORMAL because the way the engine is small".... Was also told most NISSAN vehicles are the same.

I am looking into adding a 120 volt coolant heater. Can you share and ideas on makes & how to install one. Where should it be placed ?

Thank you all for helping out.
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

outtolearn88 wrote:The cold weather is coming... I find my 2014 Rogue is very long to put out heat inside. I've had it checked out from the dealer to be told that " Alll is right that it's NORMAL because the way the engine is small".... Was also told most NISSAN vehicles are the same.

I am looking into adding a 120 volt coolant heater. Can you share and ideas on makes & how to install one. Where should it be placed ?

Thank you all for helping out.
See this link:
installing-a-block-heater-in-a-us-rogue-s-t593174.html
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix link

outtolearn88

Hello Phmichel, Thanks for the link info but that's not what I was looking into. What I would like to install is a coolant heater. I was told it would do a better job in getting the engine & the interior cabin heated up faster.

It would circulate the engine coolant & the heater core unite that in turn what's the inside cabin.

Thanks again.

Meynardo
Car: 2015 Rogue SL AWD

The link phmichel gave you is exactly what you are looking for. Except on the Rogue, the engine heater plugs on the engine block itself instead of on a hose.
You have to plug it to a regular outlet a few hours before using your car to get is to work properly.

Isn't that what you are after?

outtolearn88

Is that not a engine oil heater in that link ?
Which only heat's the engine block.

I may be wrong ?

Thanks for your input.

Meynardo
Car: 2015 Rogue SL AWD

It is an engine block heater, not an oil heater. This will keep your engine block from freezing over night in very cold temperatures.
I think I understand what you are after. See the link below, that should be what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0166GAZK6?psc=1

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

Meynardo wrote:It is an engine block heater, not an oil heater. This will keep your engine block from freezing over night in very cold temperatures.
I think I understand what you are after. See the link below, that should be what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0166GAZK6?psc=1
Well this is cool!

I've used block heaters for decades. I installed a lower radiator hose heater in a Jeep I had and it worked great and lasted about 5 years, but this thing looks like a great solution. Easy to install on a heater hose and circulates. Go for it - and please post pictures of the install if you go this route!

phmichel
2017 Nissan Quest SV

outtolearn88 wrote:Is that not a engine oil heater in that link ?
Which only heat's the engine block.

I may be wrong ?

Thanks for your input.
The plug in the pictures on the link above directly accesses the water jacket on the cylinder block. There is a small heating element that contacts the coolant, but it is a radiant heater - not circulating.

That thing Meynardo posted is a much more elegant remedy and way easier to install (assuming it has a long life span...).

outtolearn88

Well now that's exactly what I was looking for YES. Can anyone here tell me where would be the ideal location to install it on a 2014 Rogue ?

I'm sure this kinda of unite would heat up much better & quicker than the NISSAN factory version. The inside cabin would heat up faster too once the engine startled.
Hope it wouldn't be a no, no warranty wise if installed on the Rogue ? ?

Let me know your thoughts......

Thanks for sharing

kviheria12
Car: 2012 Nissan Sentra GT

I have a cord but cannot for the life of me find it abd irs -47 here in Alberta!

Thanks !

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

kviheria12 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:04 pm
I have a cord but cannot for the life of me find it abd irs -47 here in Alberta!

Thanks !
We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum. Merged with existing thread. Your answer is in the posts above.

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

Return to “Rogue Forum”