Infiniti EX35 reliability

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
mkaresh
Car: 2003 Mazda Protege5

Recalls are excluded from the analysis, but TSBs are not. The difference is whether the manufacturer makes a repair without the owner requesting it, and even if there is no problem yet.

The repair frequency is high because of two items, the fuel pump and the power tilt-and-telescoping wheel. The latter became standard equipment for 2009, so hopefully they've got it sorted out. Aside from these problems, few repairs seem to be required.

The 2009s could be much better, but since sales are so low it will be hard to get a sufficient sample. If someone buys a 2009, I really hope they'll join us.

Car reliability research

cjre1
Car: Infiniti EX35 Journey

mkaresh wrote:Recalls are excluded from the analysis, but TSBs are not. The difference is whether the manufacturer makes a repair without the owner requesting it, and even if there is no problem yet.

The repair frequency is high because of two items, the fuel pump and the power tilt-and-telescoping wheel. The latter became standard equipment for 2009, so hopefully they've got it sorted out. Aside from these problems, few repairs seem to be required.

The 2009s could be much better, but since sales are so low it will be hard to get a sufficient sample. If someone buys a 2009, I really hope they'll join us.

Car reliability research
Michael,

Thanks for the info. I have been using TrueDelta, since you started it.

Last week, I traded in my 2008 EX35 for the 2009 EX35. Straight trade with no money out of pocket. The 2009 is so much better, I feel than the 2008's.

I think they upgraded the leather and many parts. More standard features. I am very happy now. No issues, no TSB's nor any recalls.

mkaresh

Thanks, I appreciate your participation.

Interesting comment on the leather. Upgraded leather is no longer an option. Perhaps they made last year's upgraded leather a standard feature? Is the hood over the instrument cluster upholstered?

mkaresh

We've updated the results for the EX35 to include owner experiences through the end of June. A big thank you to everyone who helped make this result possible.

With a repair frequency of 99 repairs per 100 cars per year, the EX35 remains worse than average, largely because of common problems with the noisy fuel pump and the power tilt-and-telescope steering wheel.

With prompt quarterly updates, we'll continue to track them closely. The more participants we have, the better the information we can provide.

Infiniti EX35 reliability comparisons

mkaresh

We'll have updated results again next month. Additional participants remain needed, especially for the 2009 and new 2010.

Car reliability research

mkaresh

We've updated the results for the EX35 to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. A big thank you to everyone who helped make this result possible.

With a repair frequency of 79 repairs per 100 cars per year, the EX35 has improved to average as previous common problems with the noisy fuel pump and the power tilt-and-telescope steering wheel fall out of the one-year window.

We've also introduced two new statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of 2008 EX, the percentage with no repairs is about 42, and the percentage of lemons is 4.

With prompt quarterly updates, we'll continue to track them closely. The more participants we have, the better the information we can provide.

mkaresh

Excellent participation by owners of the 2008. Would like to also provide results for the 2009 and 2010, but especially need more owners for these years.

For the details, and to sign up to help:

Car reliability research

NJ_EX35
Car: Infiniti EX35 Journey w/Navi

Until last week everything was fine... then the following happened:1. steering wheel adjustment goes down only, when it attempts to go up it makes a horrible crunching noise... now my driving position stinks!2. the washer fluid jets are not hitting the windshield on the passenger side, probably an easy adjustment I have a feeling it moved when I was cleaning snow off my car, but geez its that sensitive?3. rear hatch shocks seem to be failing, it use to shoot up now i have to push it up4. roof rack cross rails the paint started peeling off5. i have a 2008 and the battery in my key fob is already failing... i have had plenty of cars and the battery always lasted a lot longer6. now when i make a right hand turn at low speeds i get a weird rubbing sensation in the wheels

i still love the car, but imagine all this happening out of warranty i can cover #2 and #3 on my own... but this is pretty ridiculous... car drives like a champ but wouldnt want it outside the warranty period!

JCL622
Car: EX35

NJ_EX35 wrote:Until last week everything was fine... then the following happened:1. steering wheel adjustment goes down only, when it attempts to go up it makes a horrible crunching noise... now my driving position stinks!2. the washer fluid jets are not hitting the windshield on the passenger side, probably an easy adjustment I have a feeling it moved when I was cleaning snow off my car, but geez its that sensitive?3. rear hatch shocks seem to be failing, it use to shoot up now i have to push it up4. roof rack cross rails the paint started peeling off5. i have a 2008 and the battery in my key fob is already failing... i have had plenty of cars and the battery always lasted a lot longer6. now when i make a right hand turn at low speeds i get a weird rubbing sensation in the wheels

i still love the car, but imagine all this happening out of warranty i can cover #2 and #3 on my own... but this is pretty ridiculous... car drives like a champ but wouldnt want it outside the warranty period!
it's possible the rear hatch is not openning fully cuz of the cold weather no?

sorry to hear about all these other problems

mkaresh

EX35 sales seem to be reviving with the 2010s--we already have more 2010s signed up than 2009s.

So this month the 2010 will be included in the survey.

More participants will be necessary to provide stats, but at the rate owners have been joining we'll be there before much longer.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research

mkaresh

We've updated the results for the EX35 to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. A big thank you, once again, to everyone who helped make this result possible.

With a repair frequency of 58 repairs per 100 cars per year, the 2008 EX35 is about average. Earlier common problems with the noisy fuel pump and the power tilt-and-telescope steering wheel have largely fallen out of the one-year window.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of 2008 EX, the percentage with no repairs is about 66, and the percentage of lemons is 3.

With prompt quarterly updates, we'll continue to track them closely. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

mkaresh

Just enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Especially need more 2009s and 2010s.

Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May, with a preview for participants in mid-April.

Car reliability research

mkaresh

Updated stats for the 2008 later this week.

We should have at least partial reaults for the 2010 with the next update, in August. But a full result is possible--just need another 10-15 owners signed up.

RedwinGV
Car: 10 EX35 AWD Journey
08 Acura MDX

I hope to join in when I get my EX in June. Already have my 2 cars in. G35 and MDX. Great site. No spam and useful info.

mkaresh

We've updated the results for the EX35 to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. A big thank you, once again, to everyone who helped make this result possible.

With a repair frequency of 56 repairs per 100 cars per year, the 2008 EX35 is about average. Earlier common problems with the noisy fuel pump and the power tilt-and-telescope steering wheel have largely fallen out of the one-year window.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of 2008 EX, the percentage with no repairs is about 62, and the percentage of lemons is less than one.

With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up:

mkaresh

We've updated the results for the EX35 to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2010: 56, about average, sample size a single car short of the minimum

2008: 34, better than average

In the case of 2008 EX, the percentage with no repairs is about 72, and the percentage of lemons is less than one.

With prompt quarterly updates, we'll continue to track them closely. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

mkaresh

We've updated the results for the EX35 to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

2010: 50, about average

2008: 34, better than average

In the case of 2008 EX, the percentage with no repairs is about 74, and the percentage of lemons is less than one.

Infiniti EX35 reliability ratings and comparisons

mkaresh

We have some new pages that display all reported repairs by problem area:

2008 Infiniti EX problem reports

From this page it's possible to select a different model year or specify a problem area.

mkaresh

We've updated the results for the EX35 to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since last April until the summer or even fall of this year.

2010: 38, about average

2008: 50, about average

In the case of 2008 EX, the percentage with no repairs is about 68, and the percentage of lemons is less than one.

Infiniti EX Lemon-odds and Nada-odds

A big thank you, once again, to AZhitman, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

mkaresh

We've updated our car reliability stats for the EX35 to include owner experiences through March 31, 2011.

2010: 26, better than average

2008: 58, about average

In the case of 2008 EX, the percentage with no repairs is about 62, and the percentage of lemons is about 3.

We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

mkaresh

We've updated the results for the EX35 to include owner experiences through June 30, 2011.

2010: 16, better than average

2008: 58, about average

In the case of 2008 EX, the percentage with no repairs is about 68, and the percentage of lemons is about 3.

We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

mkaresh

We've updated the our reliability stats for the EX35 (on our redesigned site) to include owner experiences through December 31, 2011.

2010: 11, better than average

2008: 36, better than average

2010: 88, < 1

2008: 64, < 1

Thank you, once again, to AZhitman, this forum, and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Gee-Tee
Car: 2012 EX35 Journey AWD

I'm in 2012 EX35 AWD Journey. Love it so far!

lkp730
Car: EX35 RWD

2008 EX35 Journey RWD W/ approx. 46k miles in California.

-Throttle bodies had to be replaced (Dealer initially claimed car was out of warranty)
-Coolant leak (Also initially refused to do the job under warranty)
I got these two done under warranty by stating that the car was still under powertrain warranty. These were done at a approx 40k miles and over the 3 year mark.

-Now my Manual Mode keeps going back to "D." When I shift the lever to the left and shift, it will shift manually for about 30 seconds before showing "D" in the indicator.

I've had 5 cars so far: Acura, Subaru, Toyota, Honda, and this Infiniti. This is by far the car that causes me the most problems. I drive my car real slow to save gas, and baby this thing, but lately I'm beginning to think that this car was a big mistake for me. I now have to go to my dealership and try to convince them, once again, to do this under warranty.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

is there another dealer nearby? I also have had one dealership that was not good... and another dealership that has been wonderful. I drive an extra 30 minutes to the wonderful one now.

I have also had Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus and now Infiniti... Honda/Acura was uber-reliable. Lexus and infiniti are a close 2nd.... I definately don't baby it and get close to 20 with combined driving.

Hopfully you get a dealership to take care of you and fix the little bugger items you have.

(what was your symptom for the bad throttle bodies?)

lkp730

My idle was really rough. Idled under 500 RPM. In parking lots, car would stall when turning the wheel at slow speeds. Sometimes, I needed to rev the motor when starting to prevent it from stalling. Kept on getting worse.

Out of the two dealerships around my area, sadly, this one is the better.

lkp730

Dealer denied warranty on the Manual Mode. End of story.

mkaresh

We've updated the our reliability stats for the EX35 to include owner experiences through June 30, 2012.

2010: 37, about average, close to "better than average"

2008: 29, better than average

2010: 75, 4

2008: 72, < 1

We'll have further updates in November and February. With more owners involved, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

mkaresh

We've updated the our reliability stats for the EX to include owner experiences through September 30, 2012.

2010: 40, about average

2008: 39, about average

2010: 76, 4

2008: 58, < 1

We'll have further updates in February and May. We'd love to provide more precise stats and cover more model years--just a matter of getting more owners involved!

Infiniti EX reliability ratings and comparisons

mkaresh

We've updated our reliability stats for the EX to include owner experiences through March 31, 2013.

2010 EX: 12, low
2008 EX: 33, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2008 EX: 68, < 1

We'll have further updates in August and in November. With more participants we could precisely cover all model years.

Infiniti EX reliability ratings and comparisons

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”