Ignition Problems

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
bedwyr

Hi everyone I'm working on a friends 78 620 Ca /w EI. He bought it on ebay and the PO said that it ran...... Anyways after fixing another problem we found out we were not getting any spark. So far we've changed out the pickup with a new one set the air gap and traced all of the wiring that would even come close to the EI everything looks fine. We don't see a pulse from the pickup or my meter / test light can't sense it.Also we are getting power to the EI module.  He doesn't want to go out and buy a new EI module. Any other sugestions?

odpl_DanW

Hey buddy,

Its a 77 Late(EI)CA Deluxe king cab, w/remote module . So far,, advice here and elsewhere is use aftermarket self contained dist $79.99 which I will do. 

Seems to be some confusion about dual point, dual cond dist. It doesnt work per normal dual poinT WHERE 1 set breaks and the other set makes contact

It runs on 1st set (10 BTDC) most of the time. Runs on second set(0 BTDC) ONLY WHEN IN THIRD GEAR (third gear detect sw screws into trans case like bu light sw), and WITH THROTTLE IN NORMAL CITY SPEED RANGE (20-40)mph (micro sw on throttle linkage)

You notice the performance hit when you shift to third, which goes away when you mash the gas. To reduce polution cruise in third. passing gear (full power) is always avail at your right foot. 

Later

lancekilgore

did you get it fixed??   I just got mine and had no spark followed the wirting diagram and found a ground by the pass head lihgts that was un hooked. re hooked it and it worked and started up (after blowing the mouse nest out of the muffler)  It's been sitting in a field for 5 years.  so if you have the efi then I can help you.  or the points.

Lance

DanielC

You can adjust the position of the plate that holds the second (retarded) set of points to allow the second set of points to fire closer fire to 10 degrees BTDC.  You will get better mileage that way.  If you are getting better mileage, you are using less fuel.  Less fuel means less air polluted.

lancekilgore

Man that modual is expensive, 350.  but I needed it so I ordered it. got tired of the truck just stoping becasue the brain is malfunctioning. the pick up coil is only 20.00 at advance auto so I ordered a replacement for it as well.  ans Checker ordered the brain for me. the nissan dealer did not carry anything for it. HUmmmm

So once I get this I will have the old one.

Lance

Return to “Datsun 620”