Ignition cylinder

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Infinitiace1992
Car: 1991 Infiniti Q45t KH1-C Ivory Quartz w/beige interior

I have a 91 Q45t. Has anyone had any issue removing the key from the ignition cylinder? When I turn the cylinder to the lock position and press the small black button to allow the key to turn back and release it won’t. I pulled the little black plastic ring off to see what’s going on. Looks like a tiny metal lever is stuck. If I stick a tiny screwdriver and lightly pull it towards me the key releases. Any advice?

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

years ago this seemed to be on of the 'worry' subjects on the board. I mean the ignition cylinder in general. common sense says the best approach is to 1) keep everything clean....real clean.
2) don't go hanging a key ring off the key. That sucker is massive enough already, and any extra weight is bad for the cylinder. 3) no snake oil lube jobs on the cylinder.

Maybe buy some shear head replacement screws, drill the old one out, and really clean it up good?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

My father in law is a locksmith and tells me dry graphite is the only lube that should ever be used on an indoors cylinder, automotive or otherwise. Outdoor cylinders like doors and trunks are different because water or debris often intrude, so "chasing" it with a light lube under pressure is often necessary. He recommends WD40 exclusively because it leaves the least film, CRC, PB, and silicones are not recommended. He tells me button-release problems are usually from a small rollover cam used to disengage the key, that's probably what you're tripping with your small screwdriver. Graphite may work if it's just sticky and not worn out, but he tells me they do wear out. If that's the case, then a new cylinder is probably the only fix.

Infinitiace1992

Thanks Jay I’ll look into that. Much appreciated

Infinitiace1992

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:11 am
My father in law is a locksmith and tells me dry graphite is the only lube that should ever be used on an indoors cylinder, automotive or otherwise. Outdoor cylinders like doors and trunks are different because water or debris often intrude, so "chasing" it with a light lube under pressure is often necessary. He recommends WD40 exclusively because it leaves the least film, CRC, PB, and silicones are not recommended. He tells me button-release problems are usually from a small rollover cam used to disengage the key, that's probably what you're tripping with your small screwdriver. Graphite may work if it's just sticky and not worn out, but he tells me they do wear out. If that's the case, then a new cylinder is probably the only fix.
I think a new cylinder is going to be the only fix. It doesn’t appear to be a cleaning issue. I’ll try graphite first but more likely to require replacement. Is there any way to bypass that rollover cam?

BCC93QT
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45

Actually this just happened to me recently on my 90 Used graphite myself. Sat over night tapped the button in with a framing hammer so it would release. Repeated a few times and it hasn't given me trouble since

Infinitiace1992

Wow that’s awesome. I’ll definitely try that first. However, if my past track record with repairs on here I might not be as lucky as you but I’ll sure try it.

Thanks

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”