ignition coil wiring

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
dankomonkey521

Postby dankomonkey521 » Wed Dec 31, 1969 5:00 pm

im new to the site and i have a 72 521. im replacing the ignition coil and external resistor.  the person who owned it before had the wiring all messed up and im trying to figure out what are the two wires going to the resistor. if someone could take a picture for me that would be great 

DanielC

Postby DanielC » Wed Dec 31, 1969 5:00 pm

Check out this thread on Ratsun.net  I have answered the same question there
http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2289
There is also pictures there.

hippyhoppyhappy
Car: 1971 521 1995 CC

1972 521 1600 CC

1952 CHEVROLET PICKUP 3100 235 CUBIC INCH

1977 FORD LTD TWO DOOR 400 CUBIC INCH

Re: ignition coil wiring

Postby hippyhoppyhappy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:09 pm

I NOTICE THESE POSTS ARE RATHER OLD. LIKE I AM. THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON THIS FORUM.

I HAVE AN OLD 71 '521' THAT I HAVE HAD FOR 'GENERATIONS'...PUT A LARGER ENGINE IN IT TO REPLACE THE ONE SOME PEOPLE DESTROYED. AFTER THEY STOLE IT FROM ME ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO! ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO I BOUGHT A 72 '521'. I PUT NEW 'WEBER'S ON EACH. IT HAS THE ..UH...'SUPPOSEDLY' ORIGINAL 1600 IN IT. I GAVE UP TRYING TO FIND THE CORRECT PERTRONIX MODULES FOR EITHER ONE. THE 1741 WILL NOT FIT. I PUT A 'FLAMETHROWER' COIL IN THE OLD 71. WAS GOING TO DO THE SAME WITH THE 72..HOWEVER; I NOTICED THE WRITING ON THE COIL SAID IT DID NOT NEED A RESISTOR! HUH?! ...AND..THERE 'IS' NO RESISTOR!

ALL THESE YEARS, AND I NEVER NOTICED THERE IS NO BALLAST RESISTOR! ON THE '71' THE RESISTOR IS MOUNTED ABOVE THE LEFT HEADLIGHT, UNDER THE HOOD. THERE IS NOT EVEN A 'HOLE' TO MOUNT THE THING ON THE '72'. I PROBABLY DID SWITCH FROM DUAL TO SINGLE POINTS AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER. I DO NOT REMEMBER.. BUT...I NEVER REMOVED A BALLAST RESISTOR. THE 71 HAS A 1978 ENGINE IN IT. THE DISTRIBUTOR IS DIFFERENT THAN THE 1972. BUT IT DOES HAVE THE BALLAST RESISTOR IN IT. I NEVER CHANGED THAT. 'WHY' DOES A 1972 NOT HAVE A BALLAST RESISTOR IN IT?! DID SOMEONE 'SCREW UP' AND TAKE IT OUT, AND PUT THIS COIL IN IT THAT SAYS IT DOES NOT NEED A RESISTOR?! BUT...LIKE I STATED EARLIER. I SEE NO MOUNTING HOLES FOR THE BALLAST RESISTOR. THE THING HAS RUN FINE. I HAVE NOT CHECKED THE VOLTAGE ON THE COIL. BUT...I DO NOT BELIEVE DATSUN HAD 'RESISTOR' WIRES BACK THEN. AM I WRONG?

I THINK I HAVE MADE MYSELF 'CLEAR'. I AM 'LOST' ON THIS. I HAVE A NEW COIL, AND I ACTUALLY BOUGHT A COUPLE OF BALLAST RESISTORS! I ALWAYS TRY TO HAVE SPARE PARTS FOR MY OLD VEHICLES!

'SUPPOSEDLY', NO ONE WORKED ON THIS VEHICLE; TO MAKE ANY CHANGES. THE GUY I BOUGHT IT FROM IS ..NOT FAMILIAR WITH WORKING ON CARS. 'HIS' SON IS THOUGH! BUT..'AGAIN'...THERE ARE NO MOUNTING HOLES FOR THE RESISTOR, IF IT WAS PUT IN THE SAME PLACE AS THE 1971.

I WENT TO THAT OTHER SITE, AND COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING TO HELP ME. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN SWITCHING OVER TO COMPLICATED ELECTRONIC IGNITION SYSTEMS. PERTRONIX WOULD HAVE BEEN OK...BUT...THE 'THING' WILL NOT FIT ON THE DISTRIBUTOR SHAFT. IT WORKS FINE ON THE '52' CHEVY. I AM RETIRED AND CAN NOT AFFORD TO SPEND A BUNCH OF MONEY ON FANCY IGNITION SYSTEMS.

I AM NEARLY 70, AND WOULD JUST LIKE TO KEEP THE DANGED THINGS RUNNING! THEY ARE NOT 'RESTORATIONS'..JUST OLD, BEAT UP VEHICLES. THAT RUN GOOD!! YOU FIX ANYTHING UP AROUND HERE, AND IT 'VANISHES'!

MY WIFE AND I 'LOVE EM'! WITH ALL DUE RESPECT; THANK YOU.

waynosworld

Postby waynosworld » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:48 pm

OK Mr hhh, the ballast resister was likely mounted to the bracket that holds the coil, you can barely see the resister on top of the coil next to the power steering reservoir, I don't use the resister because I have electronic ignition and don't need one, but I left it there on the stock bracket holding the IE coil.
hippyhoppyhappy wrote:I NOTICE THESE POSTS ARE RATHER OLD. LIKE I AM. THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON THIS FORUM.

I HAVE AN OLD 71 '521' THAT I HAVE HAD FOR 'GENERATIONS'...PUT A LARGER ENGINE IN IT TO REPLACE THE ONE SOME PEOPLE DESTROYED. AFTER THEY STOLE IT FROM ME ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO! ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO I BOUGHT A 72 '521'. I PUT NEW 'WEBER'S ON EACH. IT HAS THE ..UH...'SUPPOSEDLY' ORIGINAL 1600 IN IT. I GAVE UP TRYING TO FIND THE CORRECT PERTRONIX MODULES FOR EITHER ONE. THE 1741 WILL NOT FIT. I PUT A 'FLAMETHROWER' COIL IN THE OLD 71. WAS GOING TO DO THE SAME WITH THE 72..HOWEVER; I NOTICED THE WRITING ON THE COIL SAID IT DID NOT NEED A RESISTOR! HUH?! ...AND..THERE 'IS' NO RESISTOR!

ALL THESE YEARS, AND I NEVER NOTICED THERE IS NO BALLAST RESISTOR! ON THE '71' THE RESISTOR IS MOUNTED ABOVE THE LEFT HEADLIGHT, UNDER THE HOOD. THERE IS NOT EVEN A 'HOLE' TO MOUNT THE THING ON THE '72'. I PROBABLY DID SWITCH FROM DUAL TO SINGLE POINTS AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER. I DO NOT REMEMBER.. BUT...I NEVER REMOVED A BALLAST RESISTOR. THE 71 HAS A 1978 ENGINE IN IT. THE DISTRIBUTOR IS DIFFERENT THAN THE 1972. BUT IT DOES HAVE THE BALLAST RESISTOR IN IT. I NEVER CHANGED THAT. 'WHY' DOES A 1972 NOT HAVE A BALLAST RESISTOR IN IT?! DID SOMEONE 'SCREW UP' AND TAKE IT OUT, AND PUT THIS COIL IN IT THAT SAYS IT DOES NOT NEED A RESISTOR?! BUT...LIKE I STATED EARLIER. I SEE NO MOUNTING HOLES FOR THE BALLAST RESISTOR. THE THING HAS RUN FINE. I HAVE NOT CHECKED THE VOLTAGE ON THE COIL. BUT...I DO NOT BELIEVE DATSUN HAD 'RESISTOR' WIRES BACK THEN. AM I WRONG?

I THINK I HAVE MADE MYSELF 'CLEAR'. I AM 'LOST' ON THIS. I HAVE A NEW COIL, AND I ACTUALLY BOUGHT A COUPLE OF BALLAST RESISTORS! I ALWAYS TRY TO HAVE SPARE PARTS FOR MY OLD VEHICLES!

'SUPPOSEDLY', NO ONE WORKED ON THIS VEHICLE; TO MAKE ANY CHANGES. THE GUY I BOUGHT IT FROM IS ..NOT FAMILIAR WITH WORKING ON CARS. 'HIS' SON IS THOUGH! BUT..'AGAIN'...THERE ARE NO MOUNTING HOLES FOR THE RESISTOR, IF IT WAS PUT IN THE SAME PLACE AS THE 1971.

I WENT TO THAT OTHER SITE, AND COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING TO HELP ME. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN SWITCHING OVER TO COMPLICATED ELECTRONIC IGNITION SYSTEMS. PERTRONIX WOULD HAVE BEEN OK...BUT...THE 'THING' WILL NOT FIT ON THE DISTRIBUTOR SHAFT. IT WORKS FINE ON THE '52' CHEVY. I AM RETIRED AND CAN NOT AFFORD TO SPEND A BUNCH OF MONEY ON FANCY IGNITION SYSTEMS.

I AM NEARLY 70, AND WOULD JUST LIKE TO KEEP THE DANGED THINGS RUNNING! THEY ARE NOT 'RESTORATIONS'..JUST OLD, BEAT UP VEHICLES. THAT RUN GOOD!! YOU FIX ANYTHING UP AROUND HERE, AND IT 'VANISHES'!

MY WIFE AND I 'LOVE EM'! WITH ALL DUE RESPECT; THANK YOU.

hippyhoppyhappy

1972 521 1600 CC

Postby hippyhoppyhappy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:43 am

INTERESTING. NEVER KNEW THEY CAME WITH POWER STEERING. WHAT YEAR IS THAT ONE IN THE PHOTO?

THERE IS NO BALLAST RESISTOR ON THE COIL BRACKET ON MINE. I COULD NOT FIND THE RESISTOR ANYWHERE. WHEN THE WEATHER GETS BETTER, I AM GOING TO REMOVE THE IGNITION SWITCH AND SEE IF THERE ARE ANY WIRES THAT ONCE WENT TO THE BALLAST RESISTOR. I DO RECALL THE GUY TELLING ME HE WAS THE 'SECOND' OWNER OF THE VEHICLE. AND I COULD TELL AT THE TIME SOMEONE HAD BEEN 'MONKEYING' AROUND WITH IT AT ONE TIME. I PRESUME THE PRESENT COIL IS A ONE OHM RESISTANT ONE, DESIGNED FOR ELECTRONIC IGNITION, AND THAT SOMEONE SIMPLY TOSSED THE BALLAST RESISTOR INTO THE GARBAGE. 'OR' THEY HAD INSTALLED; AND THEN; REMOVED ELECTRONIC IGNITION WHEN THEY SOLD IT TO THE GUY.

I WILL END UP INSTALLING A NEW BALLAST RESISTOR WITH THE NEW COIL I BOUGHT. NO DOUBT.

I THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE IN THIS MATTER. 'HHH'.

waynosworld

Postby waynosworld » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:10 am

Hi there HHH, the 520/521 didn't come with power steering, that is something I made myself, my work truck is highly modified, the one in the photo is a 1971.
When you start messing around with the ignition wiring, remember that there are 2 hot wires that go to the coil, one comes from the ballast resister which is supplied power from a keyed source on the fuse block, the other wire comes straight from the ignition key when in the start position, that wire is a ballast resister by-pass wire that gives the coil a full 12 volts on startup, you need this wire, otherwise the engine will not likely start.

hippyhoppyhappy

1972 521 1600 CC

Postby hippyhoppyhappy » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:58 pm

HI waynosworld!

OK. I AM GOING TO PUT IN THE NEW COIL AND A BALLAST RESISTOR NEXT WEEK.

THANKS. I APPRECIATE YOUR ASSISTANCE. LATER. 'HHH'.

hippyhoppyhappy

1972 521 1600 CC

Postby hippyhoppyhappy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:08 pm

I made the changes a few days after my post above. Replaced all the wires, and replaced the coil, points, condenser, cap, and plug wires and plugs. I never noticed any difference. My wife started driving it back and forth to work. It starts the same as it always did. Will check the points in a couple months and see if they are any different than past years after a few months. Later. 'HHH'.

waynosworld

Postby waynosworld » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:24 pm

It was probably alright the way it was, the coil in it was likely fine, otherwise it would have burnt out a long time ago.
I would keep the old flame thrower coil as a backup, I rarely change anything unless it breaks.

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”