If Motorex can "legalize" Skylines, regular people have to be able to do the same...

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
SAPrez
Car: Racing, Car Shows, Creative Arts, Sports

What 1970's Skyline---I haven't heard this one....Please elaborate!

mB

AREITU

One of the reasons why importing cars into the US is so difficult is because the US is the largest market for cars in the world. If cars were easy to certify from other countries, we'd be buying Japanese cars from importers rather than dealerships--it's a big threat to American automakers. If currencies are weak in other countries, we could get cheaper cars, etc.

I know that some cars like BMWs and exotics like Ferraris tend to be converted to American specifications for US use because it's cheaper in some cases to buy a Euro ferrari...Ferrari is trying to figure out how to stop that from happening.

w1ngzer0
Car: Pfft. i don't own a box

SAPrez wrote:What 1970's Skyline---I haven't heard this one....Please elaborate!

mB

it was an a article in SS. The guy was saying motorex tried to make him pay 10k to "convert" his 1970 skyline. Thats why, after reading that BS i don't trust motorex. Only company that can import it and legalize it. But i don't care thats cameron shady **** right there :rolleyes

gsxtasee
Car: racing anything and everything

Why is that shady? Because they want to make a profit? Because thye have to pay overhead expenxes? When you factor in the number of Skylines Motorex legalizes each year, they OBVIOUSLY do not pay their bills solely on that income. They provide a service to those who can afford it. In business, you set up your price structure where (on a graph) the number of units sold(produced/whatever) decreases as the unit price increases... the market price is where these two lines intersect. Motorex legalizes cars more as a side business than anything else. It is not their only, or even main, concern to get these things legalized. He will continue to make money from his other efforts and as such, doesn't seem to care what we (the Skyline loving community) think of him or his business practices.

Not that I am fond of his practices myself but I don't think it's a crime or even bad business to get what you can for a service or product. Most people would do the same in his position most likely(as far as pricing goes).

tyndago

DAEDALUS wrote: But they're not going to tell you what they do. Hypothetically, their list of modifications could include popping a rivet on the underside of a gusset in the trunk. This rivet does absolutely nothing for structural rigidity, but it is one modification out of many, and on the list they gave to the NHTSA. Even if you tore their cars apart, unless you pop this rivet into your R33, you won't have done the same mods Motorex does.

Great... someone that actually understands....

There are very few people that know all the modifications. Very few. I am one of them.

tyndago

EZcheese15 wrote:Man, SAPrez...dude, that link you copied is invaluable. I have been looking for that info for about 3 years! Thank you soooooo much!

Its been out there for years...just didnt know where to look... like lots of things...

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Well I knew it had to be available...I just never could find it. Oh well....not like I'm gonna do anything with it anyway....it was just for the curiosity factor.

tyndago

Its no fun to give out all the answers to the test........

Have to work some things out on your own....

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Well...it's not like I didn't ever look for that info. I think I was one of the first persons outside of Motorex and it's employees to read through every document on the NHTSA importation website. And then you emailed me that link to the EPA kit car stuff like a year ago, and I read all that I could find on their site as well....so although I may not understand every little detail on everything....I do consider myself one who understands.

I suppose I'm also one of the few people who doesn't blame Motorex for charging so much. I mean hell...supply and demand!

tyndago

If you really want to understand - or not understand... get a copy of the 49CFR with the FMVSS in it... you can read them online , but with the book - you can highlight - and tabulate the book.

The 40CFR too for the EPA side of it...

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Cool...thanks...I'll keep that in mind :)

SAPrez

Where can you get those? The federal register?

mB

SAPrez

As you see I have the online stuff, and have it printed out too---but the hard copy would go good with my already volumnous library....

mB

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

SAPrez wrote:Where can you get those? The federal register?

mB

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi...07846

SAPrez

Thanks!

mB

w1ngzer0

gsxtasee wrote:Why is that shady? Because they want to make a profit? Because thye have to pay overhead expenxes? When you factor in the number of Skylines Motorex legalizes each year, they OBVIOUSLY do not pay their bills solely on that income. They provide a service to those who can afford it. In business, you set up your price structure where (on a graph) the number of units sold(produced/whatever) decreases as the unit price increases... the market price is where these two lines intersect. Motorex legalizes cars more as a side business than anything else. It is not their only, or even main, concern to get these things legalized. He will continue to make money from his other efforts and as such, doesn't seem to care what we (the Skyline loving community) think of him or his business practices.

Not that I am fond of his practices myself but I don't think it's a crime or even bad business to get what you can for a service or product. Most people would do the same in his position most likely(as far as pricing goes).

You don't think its a crime to charge someone for a car that is older then 1980? Your kidding right?

Another problem is they were selling skylines after 96 without OBD II.....

Both examples aren't shady?:confused:

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

w1ngzer0 wrote:You don't think its a crime to charge someone for a car that is older then 1980? Your kidding right?

I hope *you* are joking. What does a car's age have to do with it's potential value? There are MANY examples of pre '80 cars that are worth LOTS of money.

w1ngzer0

EZcheese read the thread before posting, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

woops

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Ok, since wingzero pointed out to me that a '70 model is in fact 34 years old and not 24 years old (because I don't know how to subtract right), then I disagree with Motorex's charging of $10K. I just wanted to make that clear :)

tyndago

w1ngzer0 wrote:You don't think its a crime to charge someone for a car that is older then 1980? Your kidding right?

See you are taking - 2nd - 3rd hand information and basing judgements on this information.

Often.... often its wrong. You believe everything in magazines ?

Unless you were involved in the specific deal - I wouldnt take one thing you "supposedly" used to pass judgement.

It still costs money to buy a car in Japan , clear the paperwork , load it in a container / boat . Clear customs , unload it in the US.

I feel most people get things wrong - and twisted the wrong way- than right.

w1ngzer0

ugh read the post. I was talking about motorex trying to charge this guy 10k for a classic he doesn't need to. What do you think they were doing in the 80's?

Lack of descent looking sports cars were in the USA, so people were importing classic europeon cars.

tyndago

w1ngzer0 wrote:ugh read the post. I was talking about motorex trying to charge this guy 10k for a classic he doesn't need to. What do you think they were doing in the 80's?

Lack of descent looking sports cars were in the USA, so people were importing classic europeon cars.

Motorex wasnt even around in the 80's

Didnt start up till 1999....

So now what are you talking about...

tyndago

w1ngzer0 wrote:it was an a article in SS. The guy was saying motorex tried to make him pay 10k to "convert" his 1970 skyline. Thats why, after reading that BS i don't trust motorex. Only company that can import it and legalize it. But i don't care thats cameron shady **** right there :rolleyes

There was an article in Super Street about Motorex trying to charge someone $10k to convert a car ?

I believe you dont have the capacity to read and comprehend.

It was more like he didnt need to pay the $16-25K to legalize the car because it was over 25 years old for DOT and 21 years old for EPA....

Something like he didnt want to pay the money to legalize a car so he got an early model one.

Go back to the article , pull it up - write it out verbatium... see what it actually says...... rather than what you twisted it around in your head to be.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

That makes *much* more sense.

SAPrez

I think it is extremely funny that "Cameron Shady" has become a catch phrase in our community...I have seen it in three or four places in the last couple of days.....Maybe that's what they'll call him in the pen....

mB

SAPrez

I never saw this embattled article so can help neither side in this argument, but Mr. Morris is on the mark with everything he has said (25/21 years, etc).....And I have heard of someone who has brought over a 70's era GTB, but that was second hand info, so who knows?

mB

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Ofcourse Sean's on the mark with everything....he's like the know-it-all-to-importing-cars guru for North America.

tyndago

There was this article.... but this was just a whole staged article...

http://www.superstreetonline.c....html

w1ngzer0

ah, well read my sig.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”