Idle issue & stutter solved!

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
mikey1951
Car: 2008 EX 35

5 days running great & great ride on new bf goodrich comp a 235/55/R17s.
happy

schaffs04
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD Premium. Blue Slate/Wheat

Wow, thanks to all of you for contributing. I had no idea this thread would draw so much attention. :)

Mine is still acting up only when cold. I'll be replacing the air filters and spark plugs sometime between now and winter. Still elated the problem is NOT the transmission as originally thought.

waichai

how long you guys change the air filter? every 6 months or every year?

car's rpm drop to close zero (it didn't die) then jump back up to 600 rmp with warm engine. It happen when car park and 1 time when car stop. Car has 36,000 miles.

schaffs04

Air filters, wipers and smoke detector batteries are on the same 6 month rotation around here.

mikey1951

Ok - After fighting coolant leak for several weeks with stop leak solution the radiator finally gave up & had it replaced at local indy shop (635$). It seems there is a coolant sensor for temp & level that affects ECU air/fuel settings. If the readings are out of range it can cause stalls....bingo!!! Fuel pump still in the box and I have had a full week of no issues....hoorah!!!

schaffs04

So, I finally got some time to turn wrenches over the weekend (with the skinned knuckles to prove it). I installed new Sylvania SilverStar Ultra headlight bulbs (major improvement over stock halogen and a welcome change given I live in deer country). I also got around to replacing the cabin air filter (which was filthy) both engine air filters, also filthy after a year, and 4 of the 6 spark plugs.

Yeah, I got the passenger side bank done no problem and the forwardmost driver's side, but when I tried to remove the TB to get at the last 2 I found the lower right bolt on the TB to be stripped out. I'll be out there this weekend with every tool I can imagine to get it out without doing any damage (suggestions welcome) so I can replace the last two. I'll also replace all 4 TB bolts at the same time.

To get to the actual point of the thread though: what an improvement doing 2/3 of the plugs has made. The others were fouled to hell and back as suspected at 102K miles. Idle and acceleration are smooth, startup is much happier, and so far, so good on the whole stutter item.

Used Denso Twin Tip Iridiam plugs (Part #4712/IXEH22TT) which are OEM specs but half the price of the #3442/FXE22HR11 that came from the factory.

schaffs04

Goodness gracious Great Balls of Fire! This is what this engine is supposed to do? Man, I thought this thing was pretty solid before, but now it's a flipping rocket ship. New plugs. Who knew!

mikey1951

Ok it has been some time since last update - after radiator replacement we still have the stalling issues and all at low rpm - I can't seem to find diagnostic software for fuel rail pressure readings.

So it fails less frequent but seems to fail more frequently with pedal fully released coasting at low rpm to a parking space or a slow acceleration at idle.

Ideas will be welcomed!!

schaffs04

Yeah, mine reappeared too but not as bad. I've decided the issue is like the scratches on a Stradivarious violin: they aren't defects, they're character. I'm giving up the hunt for the solution.

mikey1951

Well it has been awhile since I suffered all those issues with stalling. I have since replaced battery and starter while reinstalling old (dry) K&N filters and have experienced rare stalling but still there. I broke down and replaced the mafs with Hitachi sensors so we are now stall free x 3-4 weeks.

But,But ... I have had issues with firm brake pedal causing car not to start. Dash lights up like a xmas tree with no fault codes. On the last failure I did find a loose neg terminal (black). Nissan dealership could not cause it to fail and even disconnected vacuum hose at brake booster as a demo and it started right up. BTW... the dealership did not charge me a dime.

It has been a couple of weeks with absolutely no issues except,except washer fluid will not spray!!! Damn!

SteveINsaginaw
Car: 2016 Rogue S

Hey im having the same stalling issue on my moms truck. Has your issues been fully resolved? So far we’ve done a full tune up and fuel pump. It’ll start right up every time but stalls out shortly when cold. Once it’s warm it no longer stalls.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”