I want to crock pot some ribs

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

So I'm planning cooking some ribs for my friends bday. My plan is to put them on the grill with a dry rub for a few minutes to try and cook/smoke the outside a little and then put them in a crock pot. Here's a recipe I found that seems like it may be pertty good.

However, I wondered what it would taste like if I added a pound of bacon over the top of the ribs and then cooked over flames for about 30sec once I take them out of the crock pot.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2212,15 ... 02,00.html
CROCK POT BBQ COUNTRY STYLE RIBS
-3.5 - 4 pounds Country Style pork ribs
-1 cup Cattleman's Original BBQ Sauce (gonna use different BBQ sauces and more of it)
-1/2 cup Kraft Honey BBQ Sauce
-2 tbs Dales Marinade
-1 medium onion
-1/2-1 tsp. garlic powder (to your taste)
-1 tsp. seasoned salt
-1/2 tsp. Accent

Slice onion into rings and place in bottom of Crock pot. Layer Ribs on top of onion. Sprinkle ribs with garlic powder, seasoned salt and accent. Mix together both BBQ sauces and Dales. Pour BBQ sauce over ribs making sure to coat them well. Cook on low for 7-8 hours. They will be fall apart tender.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

While I didn't follow that recipe, I did follow the technique. I covered the bottom in chopped onions, layed down a layer of ribs with some dry rub on them, then covered in some BBQ sauce and dales mix.
I put down another layer of chopped onions, ribs, and BBQ sauce mix.
I put down another layer of onions, then layed on strips of bacon with some pepper.

I turned in on low with an 8hr timer. I hope that's enough time since I have around 5.5lbs of ribs and .5lb of bacon.

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

Dude u could have just left them on the grill for 3-4hrs.then finished them in a crocpot for 3hrs. Also why so much sauce?

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Well, I only used a bottle of sauce for 5lbs of ribs. There ended up being a whole lot of juice in the crock pot which I think carried away my dry rub flavor. The grill ended up not working for me because I left for class at 830 and got back at 230.

If I were to do this again, I'd grill them first to get rid of some of the moisture, use dried onions (again to suck up moisture), and maybe add some more salty dry rub.

They were fall-off-the-bone tender.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

I did them again, only this time I made them dry and put them on the grill for 3hrs. I finished them off in the crock pot and had much better results doing this.

Return to “Around the House”