I'm Done, Selling Out

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

I haven't picked up any one of my guitars in over a year for anything more than moving them. I am selling my Les Paul for cheap because it was a gift from someone I now hate. My other electric is a Peavey I got when I was 13 and is falling apart from hard use. My acoustics live with my brother so they get some play time at least. I can't/don't/won't play anything anymore. I don't sing, even in my car or in the shower. The only times I ever wrote anything were during periods of emotional torture when I needed to vent. Everyone I ever played with has moved on and become semi-successful or quit playing altogether.

I still listen to music constantly, I still hear awesome guitar playing that used to make me run home to try out for myself. I appreciate good music and bad music still makes me want to strangle Ke$ha to death with my bare hands and revive her so I can do it again. I still go to concerts when my favorite bands come into town and I explore new stuff regularly.

For some reason though, whenever I pick up a guitar all of my creativity and will to play just drains from me. I went to my uncle's house last night, he has something like 8-10 really nice guitars, some rare and exotic, some just classic and awesome. He asked me to try to play and all I could do was pick out 4 chords. Nothing came to me at all. I watched him play in the middle of his office, surrounded by amps, high-end recording equipment and s*** and I felt totally disconnected from all of it and sort of uncomfortable about that fact.

He is helping me sell the Gibson, I have reduced my expectations to the very lower end of what it is worth but I figure he will enjoy it more than I could in the meantime.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

I walked away from guitar playing for 8 years. Sometimes you need a break. I'm rediscovering it right now.

Return to “The Music Room”