I bought the factory navigation system, can I install it it my 04 Maxima

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Tomsoxfan
Car: 2005 nissan maxima

will it fit 05 maxima ?

jsmithsole
Car: 6th Gen maxima

Tomsoxfan wrote:will it fit 05 maxima ?
Yes it will but if you have a lip spoiler you will have to have holes filled in. I got mine off EBAY for $170 painted and shipped, great deal, great quality...

MsLiz1396
Car: 2004 Nissan Maxima

I am looking for the zenrin navigation dvd version 6.6. Does anyone have it? Thanks!

MsLiz1396

Did the dvd work for you? What version was it? I am looking for the zenrin dvd version 6.6.

lanceg

Thanks for the info on the body kit link, the head unite inplace, and what you did to your dash board with the LEds. As for the LEDs though i think im going to pass on that idea to much that has to be done. I would like to know are these neon blue lights the long tube kind under the dash on both sides, and are those LED white lights in the doors? O in one of your demo you showed how the turn snigles go from Amber to blue how did you do that.
Modified by lanceg at 8:30 PM 4/26/2008

uavscrappy
Car: 2005 Nissan Maxima

Hey guys newbie here and will be coming home from Iraq to a 2005 Nissan Maxima SE. It has the Bose system without the Nav system. I have been looking at what I can do and came across your guys post. I am very impressed with the pictures from jsmithsole and really gave me some ideas that the wife would roll her eyes on lol. I was curious though what was your final outcome Kikunga? Do you have pics or a site that I can see what your hard earned effort brought? Take CareScrappy

Gman8990
Car: Pearl 1999 Nissan Maxima GXE

Scrappy good to hear you are soon home from Iraq... but all i have to say is... thank you... you are an awesome guy to be over there serving

uavscrappy
Car: 2005 Nissan Maxima

Thank you Gman I appreciate it, it really isn't that bad for me yeah I am in Iraq and away from my family but as my name implies I am not physcially over the wire like most of the guys here, they are the true heroes putting their buts on the line. I am just glad that I can help in trying to keep them safe. I just hope I can make my Maxima look good but classy I haven't checked out everyones rides yet except Jay and I don't think I can spend that kind of dough or resources but he does truly have a nice ride, he did it up nice.

jsmithsole

lanceg wrote:Thanks for the info on the body kit link, the head unite inplace, and what you did to your dash board with the LEds. As for the LEDs though i think im going to pass on that idea to much that has to be done. I would like to know are these neon blue lights the long tube kind under the dash on both sides, and are those LED white lights in the doors? O in one of your demo you showed how the turn snigles go from Amber to blue how did you do that.

Modified by lanceg at 8:30 PM 4/26/2008
Sorry for the delay! I have 9 Luxer LEd's in the footwells. Ans yes I replaced the red lenses with wht and put LED's in there as well. The blinkers are switchbacks from autolumination.com

jsmithsole

uavscrappy wrote:Thank you Gman I appreciate it, it really isn't that bad for me yeah I am in Iraq and away from my family but as my name implies I am not physcially over the wire like most of the guys here, they are the true heroes putting their buts on the line. I am just glad that I can help in trying to keep them safe. I just hope I can make my Maxima look good but classy I haven't checked out everyones rides yet except Jay and I don't think I can spend that kind of dough or resources but he does truly have a nice ride, he did it up nice.
Hey thanks!! and thanks (for your service!)

nolamaxima04

Hey, I have a 04 maxima w/o navigation and want to install the same type of set up you have. I was told from the store that if I do this, i will have to replace my factory speakers and amp. Is this true?.... I just want to move down the screen and then install a new radio to it. Please let me know... thx

Kikunga
Car: Nissan Maxima

I can't speak for other navigation system, but if you're going with the Pioneer Avic-D3 Navigation system, absolutely not. All I did was remove the cd/tape player portion part of the radio system and installed the navigation system in that slot (it will fit with the pre-existing brackets), it will fit flush with some minor adjustment. You will need a whole new double din dash kit to replace the existing one, I can give you the model and make if you need the information. Trust me, most car audio places try and make it seem like its a complicated install but it's rather simple. Circuit City did it for me for $250.00 bucks, quite cheaper than most other places. If you're talking about moving the factory screen to the bottom, that will probably take some custom work to malke it look professional. I kept my screen at the top and just got the navigation system installed in the middle portion where the cd/tape player goes. Let me know if you need anymore information, I did quite a bit of homework so I can save you the headache. Send me an email if you wanna see some pictures. [email protected]

nolamaxima04

I think i want to get the same system but does it have to be hardwired? or can u use the existing wiring? I can install it myself i just want to know what i need before i start taking everything apart.

jsmithsole

Kikunga wrote:I can't speak for other navigation system, but if you're going with the Pioneer Avic-D3 Navigation system, absolutely not. If you're talking about moving the factory screen to the bottom, that will probably take some custom work to malke it look professional.
Correct, you can run the stock speakers with any aftermarket HU, I did for a couple of years. You'll need to get a wiring harness from PAC. As for moving the screen down, it's really easy and fits in the lower pocket almost perfectly. I am no means a professional installer but it turned out great, one of the easiest mods I have done to date.

basitirfan

hey i've been searching maxima forums for the customization of the interior LED gauge. I was wondering if you can tell me how you did your interior LED modd. my email address is [email protected]. Will be waiting for your response.. You have a wonderful ride there!

jsmithsole

e-mail sent...

alecsithong
Car: 05 Nissan Maxima

Hey guys,I'm also a new one here with an 05 Max w/o Navigation. It took me about a week of internet hunting until I found this forum. WHat a great resource! Kikunga (hope it's right) is amazing with the Navi installation. I am looking into it yet I know my wife would kill me as well. Anyway, what's the bottom line price after it's all said and done - Navi, DVD, rear camera? If it's over $2000 material & labor then I'll just trade mine in for a new one with Navi or upgrade to an 06 Infiniti M35. I'm not the best in audio installation nor wiring. I'm afraid I'll blow up the car and really have my wife on my ***.......I've only replaced a clutch - as far as I can go. Anyway I'm glad to see you all working on this successfully.

Scrappy - thanks for defending our country and being in Iraq!!! You are a great American! Hope your Maxima turns out well with the Navi.

alec

jsmithsole

I wold bet you cold get it all done for under $1000, the unit we have is discontinued now and you can find them for $500 or $600, rear views are cheap then install...

Here's my setup:

alecsithong

Can the OEM display screen to swapped out with a new A/V unit like Pioneer Avic? Is there enough depth to install at the top? I just got a repair manual and it doesn't show how much room there is at the top (original OEM LCD display). I want to move that down to the middle and get ride of the CD/Tape player.

Kikunga

Nope, there's not enough room, there's a cross bar that limits spacing but you can definitely move it down to the bottom! I just purchased a Nesa 7" TFT screen I'm gonna use to replace the OEM sceen after I move it to the bottom, I have a Avic D3, the Nav has to go in the middle, there's no way around it! Take care

alecsithong

J-Smith,I've taken your picture and modified it to show want I'd like to do (See previous question) move LCD down to middle and replace it with new A/V unit in original OEM location.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

I can't get my pics to upload.

Thanks,alec

alecsithong

Thanks Matadi. That solves that one...

Kikunga

No problem! Have you decided on a NU? Are you going with the Avic D3??

alecsithong

Not really...I'm pretty discouraged. I'm afraid I'll destroy the entire panel while installing. I just wanted a color LCD with Navi that's all. But those new Pioneer A/V 's are really nice - gotta admit! Not sure I'll have the time nor patience to do all this. Got wife and 3 kids both eating up much of my time - not to mention work hours.

Thanks again for your great input! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Have a nice evening.

alec

jsmithsole

alecsithong wrote:Not really...I'm pretty discouraged. I'm afraid I'll destroy the entire panel while installing. I just wanted a color LCD with Navi that's all. But those new Pioneer A/V 's are really nice - gotta admit! Not sure I'll have the time nor patience to do all this. Got wife and 3 kids both eating up much of my time - not to mention work hours.

Thanks again for your great input! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Have a nice evening.

alec
The panel mod is really easy, i am by no means a professional installer but i did it. Get a dremel tool if you don't have one, it made it way easy.

I got the wife a 3 kids going on too, modding has taken a back seat many days lately!! Many late nights in the garage after the crew is asleep!!

Good luck and don't be discouraged!!

Kikunga

Okay, so I went out there and tried to switch out the screens but it didn't quite work out for me! The Nesa screen wouldn't fit snug and the OEM at the bottom just sat there loosely! I'm I missing something or where did I go wrong? Thanks

jsmithsole

Kikunga wrote:Okay, so I went out there and tried to switch out the screens but it didn't quite work out for me! The Nesa screen wouldn't fit snug and the OEM at the bottom just sat there loosely! I'm I missing something or where did I go wrong? Thanks
You need to mount the NESA screen to the backside of the dash piece, I sued double sided tape and it's held for over 4 years now. As for the bottom you need make a shim to put on top of the screen that wedges in between it and the bottom of the headunit. The bottom takes a bit of adjusting but it will sit in there nicely...

Let me know if you need any more help!J

Kikunga

Pardon my ignorance but the backside of the dash piece, do you mean sliding it in the back part where the OEM screen use to go, if that's the case, that space is too narrow and Nesa screen won't completely slide in there! I tried sliding it in the back but somehow, it wouldn't fit! I know I'm doing something wrong since you've done it before! I guess posting some pictures of the installation would probably be impossible, LOL!! So I'm assuming I use just the actual screen and no additional parts that came along with the screen? As far as the bottom screen goes, how far deep does it go into that bottom space? And a shim? What exactly is that and what materials do you use? Oh, and I saw those headlights being promoting on the other website! How much are they running? Damn, they are sweet!! Okay, thanks for all your help and I really wanna do this mod myself, I think it's doable!! Take care and thanks for the response and yes, definetly a bummer on those headrest monitors, but its my birthdfay today and I'm just gonna fork over the doe, the wife said it was cool, LOL!!!!

jsmithsole

Kikunga wrote:Pardon my ignorance but the backside of the dash piece, do you mean sliding it in the back part where the OEM screen use to go, if that's the case, that space is too narrow and Nesa screen won't completely slide in there! I tried sliding it in the back but somehow, it wouldn't fit! I know I'm doing something wrong since you've done it before! I guess posting some pictures of the installation would probably be impossible, LOL!! So I'm assuming I use just the actual screen and no additional parts that came along with the screen? As far as the bottom screen goes, how far deep does it go into that bottom space? And a shim? What exactly is that and what materials do you use? Oh, and I saw those headlights being promoting on the other website! How much are they running? Damn, they are sweet!! Okay, thanks for all your help and I really wanna do this mod myself, I think it's doable!! Take care and thanks for the response and yes, definetly a bummer on those headrest monitors, but its my birthdfay today and I'm just gonna fork over the doe, the wife said it was cool, LOL!!!!
Nope, just mount it flush to the backside of the dash piece. And as for the bottom screen, it sits about level with the shifter piece. Actually I found these pics that might help you visualize it a bit better...

Sticky on screen prior to mounting...

Hope this helps out a bit more, happy birthday!

Oh and which headlights are you referring to?

alecsithong

How do you guys insert pictures? I use the "INSERT IMAGE" button but it doesn't do anything. It doesn't ask me where to upload pics from.

How do you get your OEM LCD screen blue?

That last (3rd) picture you have with the sticky tape on LCD screen - do you have a picture before you installed it? I want to see what the factory cross bar looks like behind the OEM LCD screen and if I can remove it. Matida Kikunga mentioned that. That's one of my hurdles.

Does anyone know if the key ignition switch can be swapped for a push button on & off like the new cars?

Lastly how can I install or what type of Xenon light can I buy - name brands, etc.? I heard that it's not easy to install - electrical issues. I also heard that this OEM headlight is hard to adapt to Xenon light bulb. Who has experience on this?

Thanks - Have a great Turkey day....alec

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”