I am thinking of buying my Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
excel_novice
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV Hybrid

So the original plan with my 1st lease was to trade-in my car every 3 years...drive something new and lease for the rest of my life.
I have 6 months left on my lease, and i like everything about this car.

My Residual Value is $15,892.
thanks to covid i only have 20,700 miles, and 6,500 is on the EV odometer...that puts 14,200 on the engine. I dont know if a buyer would do that math.
i know the original owner (thats me) took good care of it.
that seems like a good deal for a 3 year old used car. Quick search shows these selling for over $20k

i had a solid plan so the decision was supposed to be easy, but now i dont know what i want anymore.

i am not a For Sale By Owner type, so i would have to get Trade-in value.

any opinions? should i take my chances and stick with Nissan long term?

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Go with your gut, and what makes you happy.

If u keep the nissan, change the cvt fluid every 20-30k miles.

It's a crapshoot with the cvt.

I'm going on 12 yrs, original cvt so far.

Reason I'm still here really.

Good luck. :mike

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:46 pm
Go with your gut, and what makes you happy.

If u keep the nissan, change the cvt fluid every 20-30k miles.
Yep, trannies are the only weak spot, but they're not really weak if you keep the fluid clean. You can have a CVT cooler and thermostatic valve installed if you want long term reassurance on that count. topic629203.html

Frzninvt
Car: 2021 AWD Rogue SL w/Premium Package
Champagne Silver

Why would you want to own a steadily depreciating asset? That and the loan payment on the residual value would be about the same as a new lease on a warrantied vehicle. Not to mention all the improvements on the new Rogue. I've done the math over and over and just keep leasing as there is nothing to gain by owning it.

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Definetely buy it, I just bought my 18 midnight edition for 16k and I get weekly calls from dealers offering me more than that. The dealer I bought it from actually offered 21k on trade. Problem is I can’t replace it for what I can buy for so it was really a no brainer. My plans were the same as your until covid hit and prices went through the roof. To replace my 18 with a comparable 21 and keep the $300 payment I’d have to put $3500 down. Once all the crazy prices die down I may get a 22 frontier but no way am I gonna go azz deep in a new car right now. I actually bought a 21 Altima before the chip shortage and the incentives stopped and made out well. I was also kind of upset with nissans selection on the new rogue. Just to get heated seats we’d have to pay for leather and a sunroof which I could care less about on a leased vehicle. I leased my 18 for $299 and payed the taxes and paperwork plus tags and think I wrote a check for under 1k. The same deal is no longer to be had. Not to mention my car has been meticulously maintained.

excel_novice

Thanks all, I am glad I posted this, 3 different but great suggestions.
Since I am perfectly willing to buy my car, I have the luxury of waiting til the last month of the lease.
- 1st i will go through Nissans end of Lease inspections. just curious, the result wont matter.
- The last month of the lease is when I will look to see whats available and get an exact trade-in value.
- Then I will put all my numbers together and do the math.
- Finally I will go with my gut, and make a snap decision.

Win-win situation...either I live with a new car for 3 years or I live with the Rogue i already like.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I didn’t do the inspection, really didn’t need to. We looked at the 21s and honestly walked away unimpressed. There were a couple features we like but IMO they looked like every other suv in the Walmart parking lot. My wifes midnight edition stands out and thus far has been an excellent vehicle. Once I figured out that eco mode causes an annoying clunk in the drivetrain all has been well. I’m actually paying hers off next week so it’ll be free and clear. 16k right now gets you nothing in used market and if you decide to trade you’ll have equity towards the new ride so no inspection needed.

Flashfox
Car: 2018 Rogue SL Platinum

I was in the same situation with my leased 2018 Rogue SL Platinum. A couple of months before lease expiration I made the decision to buy it out. I did not want to be at the last minute and feel the pressure to make a deal :-)

It only had 18k miles and was always maintained by Nissan. Note that I planned for this so I was putting money away for this option as I did not want to finance a buy-out.

So ...

- I did my scheduled 20k miles maintenance at Nissan without telling them my plans. Wanted to make sure they checked the vehicle.

- I few days later, I got the buy-back value from Nissan Finance (NMAC), then contacted the dealer and told the rep to prepare the paperwork

- I had already decided to buy our my lease with 2 months left and decided to pay cash (ok via a check)

- Dealer tried > very hard < for me to finance the deal, which I did not want. Even the manager came to try to convince me to finance through them LOL (I do have an excellent credit rating).

- I pre-researched extended warranty options and decided that I wanted the Nissan Gold extended warranty for used vehicles. I did not want any 3rd party warranties .. which the dealer was pushing very hard ( = commission).

- Transaction took over 2 hours with tons of paperwork and although I was paying cash (offered check or cashier's check), they > insisted < on doing a credit check. I did not like this but there was no option. Why a credit check if I use a cashier's check? (BTW, I was bothered for 2 weeks afterwards with E-mails and calls from many 3rd parties to offer me financing ... plus my credit rating showed the request. And I was paying cash ... why???)

So, this 2018 Rogue SL Platinum is mine and I don't regret this for one minute.

casperfun

Wow, looks like you did your DD, but the amount of hoops just to buy back is ridiculous.

Bs on the credit check when your not borrowing money. Probably because you were giving them a hard time trying to squeeze every penny out of you, they're just trying to stick it to you with the credit check. Why else would they spam your email and tarnish your credit record. Who did you piss off? :lolling:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:27 pm
Why else would they spam your email and tarnish your credit record. Who did you piss off? :lolling:
Because the average dealer makes as much money off financing as they do on the sale. Same with extended warranties, especially when they're rolled into the financing. Dirty secret of the car biz.

Flashfox

I agree ... that's why they pushed for financing and using their extended warranty.

Maybe this was the reason why they insisted on a credit check (mad that I didn't play ball with them)?

However, I did do a bit of research and found out this this is SOP over here in SoCAL. They say it's to protect them in case the check bounces (a bouncing "cashiers check" from BoA? Really? Doesn't make sense).

In any event it's done and the 2018 Rogue SL Platinum is mine.

My next challenge is the CA DMV ... they lost my special plates and had to order a new set (and said to wait another 6-8 weeks ... more than 8 weeks now). The issue is that I have the paid 2022 registration for the new plates and I have the sticker and registration. But I don't have the new plates so I can't place the sticker on the old plate. I keep the paperwork in my Rogue for when I am stopped for "expired tags". Don't know how it is in other states but CA DMV is pretty much worthless. While in Florida, I had no issues and all was fast and easy. Over here, you can't even reach anyone. Company transferred me back to corporate but will I retire here? Not unless I win a lottery LOL

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

If you know the previous owner took care of it (you) , and you like the car then in todays market it makes perfect sense to buy your leased car.

Car prices are up and in June 2021 buying lease residual rate is likely a good deal compared to what you would have to spend elsewhere to get a equivalent car

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Flashfox wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:42 pm
My next challenge is the CA DMV ... they lost my special plates and had to order a new set (and said to wait another 6-8 weeks ... more than 8 weeks now).
They'd have labor to make plates if they weren't letting everybody and their brother out of the clink early. Score another one for Gavin and the Politburo.

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I’m not understanding the credit check. I had just bought a 21 Altima not long before my lease expired at 0% through nmac. Knowing that they had the best rate when I bought the 18 I insisted the dealer used nmac as well. I don’t see on my credit report where they ran another credit check? Maybe they used the one in house which saves me a ding on my score. Either way, Nissan said I could finance or simply bring a cashiers check to a nearby dealer for an odometer check and that there was a $375 fee in my contract that assisted the dealer with any paperwork and time spent. Very simple IMO. With what used cars are going for right now and the shortage of new ones there’s no way I’d not buy my expired lease or consider buying a new one. My 21 was right before they stopped the incentives and the lots were empty. I’m seeing 2020s sell for more than I paid for new. Lots of folks are gonna find themselves in over their heads on houses and autos when the leather hits the road…and it eventually will. Take advantage of the fact that Nissan valued your car 3 yrs later being in normal times. Not often can you win on a lease.

Flashfox

D1dad - I agree ... but they insisted on doing a credit check. What also kind of irked me were the numerous calls afterwards from 3rd parties offering to finance my car. They even said that I was pre-approved for $$$$$ dollars. This is AFTER I paid for the vehicle. Could be like someone else said: It was payback because I refused to finance my purchase through the dealership and wanted Nissan's extended warranty and not the one they were pushing. Then again, it could have been nothing of the above. Nevertheless, as you noted, the credit check was not needed. My NMAC lease was expiring in 2 months and I wanted to have time to decide. I too had to pay the $375 fee.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

For the time being, and most likely going forward, you did right buying it. When my lease expired I wasn’t able to touch a used rogue S off the lot let alone an sv midnight for what my lease buy out was. The dealer offered $17900 on trade, then 2 weeks after I bough it offered 21k. Sounds good in theory but to get heated seats which was basically all my wife cared about then we’d have to buy the sv premium and the price was more than I wanted to pay. Nissan offered a $500 rebate and the dealer had low stock so the payment was over $500 a month because they weren’t willing to deal. Nope. I put some money down and financed my 18 for $304 per month. I’ll pay it off shortly and will more than likely consider the 22 frontier. My son in law just sold his 2013 f150 platinum to a dealer for 25k when he was only offered 17k on trade a year ago. He’s without a nice ride for awhile but made some bank while the market was, shall we say, insane. Whoever buys his truck will be staring at negative equity when things normalize. A co worker just paid 300k for a house that sold 195k in 2019. Can we say future recession.

casperfun

Never cared for the concept of leasing. It's probably just good for those who have discretionary income and treat their rentals like crap and are off to the next one.

But my frugal self would rather have a monthly payment towards owning a car, instead of paying $15k+ after a 36 month lease and having nothing to show for it in the end. :slap:

excel_novice

D1dad wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:07 am
Take advantage of the fact that Nissan valued your car 3 yrs later being in normal times. Not often can you win on a lease.
i seem to have a rare win on the 2019 Lease....and thats why i have this win either way decision to make. I will follow up on this in January 2022

Frzninvt
Car: 2021 AWD Rogue SL w/Premium Package
Champagne Silver

casperfun wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:22 pm
Never cared for the concept of leasing. It's probably just good for those who have discretionary income and treat their rentals like crap and are off to the next one.

But my frugal self would rather have a monthly payment towards owning a car, instead of paying $15k+ after a 36 month lease and having nothing to show for it in the end. :slap:
You would lose that in overall depreciation anyway. Do the math you are purchasing a constantly depreciating asset there is no real benefit to it other than you can say it is yours and you can do what you want with it. Not to mention you are on the hook for any repair bills and with the labor rate and part costs today it certainly is not a win.

casperfun

In general you’re probably right. :bigthumb:

In my case, I’m the type to run a vehicle until the wheels fall off. So I don’t mind owning it for 15-20 years. Thanks to the internet I do most repairs and usually find cheap parts online.

No major repairs but mainly wear and tear items.

It’s the reason I’ve been here since 1990, with a few middle years that I was rarely on.

But my Rogue is still running, so I’m still here for awhile.

With a reliable vehicle that gets me to point A to B. :woot:

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

This was our first lease ever. I usually pay cash and probably could have but at that time the lease deal was to good to pass up. Factor in that I spend, or used to spend 70% of my time driving rentals for work and the lease for the wife made sense. I wanted her to always have a car under warranty which meant constantly trading every 3 yrs so I’d never own the car anyways. But at that time nissan sales were in the crapper and they were trying to move inventory. My lease was basically zero down although I paid the tax and document fee. Interest rate was 0.09 so it made since to let my money gain more interest than I would pay and I figured there was no way I’d buy out the contract at lease end. Covid hits, the cars worth more the day I bought it and to lease a new 21 rogue was insane. $3500 down got my payment to $360 instead of the $299 I had paid for the last 3 yrs. Essentially I paid full sticker price for an 18 rogue that’s now worth $3-5k more than it originally sold for new. I wasn’t about to turn it in and let the dealer profit nor was I going to pay an outrageous amount for a new one because of the pandemic. The cars mint and somewhat rare as you don’t see the midnight edition to often. I’m happy. The dealership is still offering me $21900 whether I buy new or not, but I can’t replace it.

excel_novice

D1dad wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:08 am
Interest rate was 0.09 so
did you mean a Money factor of .0009? Using the general rule of multiplying by 2400 that would put your interest at great 2.16% APR. If you got .09 interest then the money factor would be .000375 and i didnt think NMAC would go that low, but that would be an awesome deal for you.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

No the lease was 9/10 of a percent. Nmac will go 0% on 60 months on a new car. I financed the 18 used rogue for 2.9. Although I wanna pay it off shortly so I can get right back in debt when the 22 frontiers eventually hit lots.

excel_novice

Followup (because i said i would).
turns out i didnt have time for any of the End of Lease Inspections. Nissan harassed me about getting it done, bummer because its one of the things i specifically wanted to do. oh well.

I had a very very similar experience as Flashfox. Nissan dealer insisted on a credit check. The manager came in and tried to get me to finance the sale. He even said there would be "no fees" for financing and i could pay the car off as soon as the lender had my payoff amount available so interest would be minimal......i said theres always fees and asked why would i pay any interest more than 0. so he dropped the financing talk and started talking $3,000 Warranty.

interesting that he offered to buy my car $5,000 over residual value. i was wondering my the 1st guy wanted to take pics of my car.
i plan on selling my car and buying a Ford Maverick later this year, so i passed on the warranty.

17,591.68 for a 2019 Rogue SV with 28,194 miles. i am happy with it.
breakdown
15,892.20 residual value
300.00 purchase option
85.00 Document processing charge
30.00 electronic vehicle registration or transfer charge (MVSC)
15.00 registration/transfer/titling fee
8.00 state emission exemption fee
1,261.48 Sales Tax - forgot the tax and had to edit

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I think you did well and everything right! :mike

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

excel_novice wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:03 pm
Followup (because i said i would).
turns out i didnt have time for any of the End of Lease Inspections. Nissan harassed me about getting it done, bummer because its one of the things i specifically wanted to do. oh well.

I had a very very similar experience as Flashfox. Nissan dealer insisted on a credit check. The manager came in and tried to get me to finance the sale. He even said there would be "no fees" for financing and i could pay the car off as soon as the lender had my payoff amount available so interest would be minimal......i said theres always fees and asked why would i pay any interest more than 0. so he dropped the financing talk and started talking $3,000 Warranty.

interesting that he offered to buy my car $5,000 over residual value. i was wondering my the 1st guy wanted to take pics of my car.
i plan on selling my car and buying a Ford Maverick later this year, so i passed on the warranty.

17,591.68 for a 2019 Rogue SV with 28,194 miles. i am happy with it.
breakdown
15,892.20 residual value
300.00 purchase option
85.00 Document processing charge
30.00 electronic vehicle registration or transfer charge (MVSC)
15.00 registration/transfer/titling fee
8.00 state emission exemption fee
1,261.48 Sales Tax - forgot the tax and had to edit
Should've taken the $5k over residual value. Thank god you are getting rid of one of the most unreliable model years of the Rogue earlier than me. IF he was talking warranty, make sure he was talking a first party Nissan USA extended warranty; if its a third-party aftermarket one, idk what to say.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

datechboss101 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:01 am
Thank god you are getting rid of one of the most unreliable model years of the Rogue earlier than me.
You need to quit thinking everyone's car is yours. Except for the HVAC, radio, and ADAS, a '19 or '20 is essentially the same car as a '14.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:07 am
datechboss101 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:01 am
Thank god you are getting rid of one of the most unreliable model years of the Rogue earlier than me.
You need to quit thinking everyone's car is yours. Except for the HVAC, radio, and ADAS, a '19 or '20 is essentially the same car as a '14.
Hey, I am not the only one on this forum that said this statement about 2019 being one of the unreliable MYs. There are other handfuls too, just saying.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

datechboss101 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:03 am
Hey, I am not the only one on this forum that said this statement about 2019 being one of the unreliable MYs. There are other handfuls too, just saying.
A quick search for +2019 +rogue +unreliable comes up with 3 posts, and they're all yours.

casperfun

A handful would not justify that statement.

It would have been more plausible if you said it about the early first generation models which was a highly significant number that Nissan extended the warranty to 10 years/ 120,000 miles. :slap:

I know my old dinosaur bubble rogue would have been in that unreliable category if I followed the “lifetime transmission fluid” that Nissan bestowed onto us in the early years.

This cvt would have failed by now if I didn’t change the fluid late in the game at 87k miles. Because at that point it was a shuddering, hesitating jerky mess.

Probably following Nissan’s predetermined time towards that 100k transmission failure to inevitably purchase a new Nissan from them. Thank god for these Internet forums.

Interestingly, there is a class action lawsuit with the 2014-2016 Nissan Rogue which was you’re good car. :poke:

Not pertaining to you in particular, but most unreliable cars is because lack of maintenance and not caring about it.

Moreover, there will always be crappy cars, uncaring dealerships, and lemons out there.

Just be happy you don’t need to take a subway and worry about being shoved in front of it because of these woke politicians not doing anything about crime and homelessness. But you do have to worry about somebody smashing & grabbing stuff out of your vehicle. It’s happening everywhere. :inout:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2021 ... ogue.shtml

Return to “Rogue Forum”