HTPC stuff

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

So, I have my updated HTPC running. It's a q6600-quad running 4GB memory. Temporarily I'm using a cheap geforce 7300 video card and for audio a soundblaster card with optical output. Seems to be working much better than the old P4HT that was out there....My hardware steps are:
- purchase a nmediapc 6000b case
- change the motherboard so I can run 8GB memory (the MSI I have is supposed to but won't....others have the same problem)
- HDMI to my Pioneer Elite SC-05 (via new video card)
- new wireless keyboard setup

For software I'm running XBMC and have it configured for some music and video channels. Seems to work OK. What I would like is to find a skin which will somewhat emulate the Logitech Revue where we can select NetFlix, hulu, googletv, etc. via a button and scan/select stuff to view from there. At this point I have not found anything...any ideas?

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

So many responses, lol

So, picked up a 120GB SSD drive, a geforce video card with hdmi and a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250. They didn't have the case or I would have grabbed that as well. Hopefully things work well when I set it all up.

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

I thought this was a software question and I am not up to snuff on the latest and greatest software. Eventually I want to run XBMC when I can finally get time to get everything configured this summer, but that said, all I want to do is play ripped blurays and other downloads, no netflix, etc...

Currently I use my i5-2500k for everything, even though it doesn't bitstream HD audio. Later I will buy a 7000 series ATI vid card for that. VLC and MKV rips of blurays and it performs well enough but there is always that 23.976fps studder... 24fps works great!

Overall, I think the most important thing is hardware to keep power consumption and thus heat to a minimum in order to keep noise from fans to a minimum. Going completely passive, IE fanless, is the best in order to keep the noise floor down, but that said, my plasma is noisier than my HTPC. Whenever I upgrade to a projector placed in a noise box, I will also either downgrade my HTPC to something more energy efficient or relocate it to a closet to keep noise down. I currently draw about 45-55w during movie playback so I can have fans running nice and slow. My audio system draw just a little bit more power and I am looking to tap into a 240v source for my sub amp, but that's a summer project.

audtatious

Yeah, this was primarily software related and the Q6600 is doing splendid now that I have installed the SDD and migrated the OS to it. The only hardware problem I'm having is with the HDMI card as my system won't get past the BIOS splash screen (won't even POST). BIOS is up to date and it's supposed to be supported. Manufacturer is ignoring my issue thus far so no help there. I need to put the card into another PC to make sure it's not a card problem.

I have the WinTV card installed and I have 69 channels configured (I removed the ones I don't use). Only issue I seem to have is I'm not finding all the HD channels and none of the premium channels are showing up (no speed, showtime, etc.). My cable provider does not need a card for these channels so i'm trying to figure out what I need to do. I've also got to figure out how to do repeat recordings and get the software installed which will facilitate removal of commercials. Picture is clean and the card seems to work well.

Just going to take some time to get this all figured out the way I want it. I may have to build my own interface for the options I want.

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

If you do it in java, you can use your android phone or tablet as a remote. I have a remote app for my receiver (Pioneer SC-1222), but I don't have the receiver hooked up to my router...just because I am lazy.

About the HDMI issue, I see you can get HDMI/DVI out cards that will bitstream HD audio for $30 in case you need to get a new card.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1558

Side note: I see you have the Elite series. I am jealous you have 12v out triggers and mine doesn't. I debated while the black friday deals were going on because the lack of a 12v trigger was pretty much a deal breaker for me. I tried to get the Onkyo 808, but they sold out before I could find out if their 12v triggers for zones 2 and 3 could be reconfigured for zone1. I settled with the 1222. Luckily I neither have my subs finished nor added a 240v circuit for my sub amp, so the 12v trigger is a non-issue for now. Later when I get that done, I will have to forever get in and out of the closet to switch the amp on/off if I can't come up with another solution.

Second side note: Why did they stop putting switched 120v outs on receivers? My old Pioneers VSX1014 has one and I could have used that with a transformer as my trigger if companies still put switched AC outs on receivers...

audtatious

The problem with the card you list is there is no guarantee that it will work. I know the ATI Radeon 5700 works in it.....but that costs quite a bit more JUST for hdmi. I'll figure something out.

The SC-05 Elite which does not have the 120v outputs either. My assumption is they did not want other components sucking power directly from the unit itself, thus, possibility of causing distortion.

Another issue I'm having is with Media Center which only finds 10 clearQEM channels vs. the wintv receiver which finds 80+.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I predict the death of the HTPC relatively soon. With so many media-enabled OSs supporting ARM these days (even Winblows RT), it's going to be hard to justify big x86 rigs. ARM chips run cooler and more efficient, meaning no noisy coolers and smaller overall packaging. Really, the only think mainstream ARM solutions are missing now is good proper SATA 6GB support. Once we can put PROPER data storage on ARM devices, the HTPC will be obsolete. I'd much rather have something like a next-gen Apple or Google TV than build an actual PC just for media. My PC is for doing PC things. For other stuff I'd rather build a little more to purpose.

audtatious

There are already alternative htpc rigs out there. In my case I wanted something that can also convert movies and such which can't be done via the other options.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”