HowTo: Replace Air Filters (M56 - VK56VD)

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Figured I'd put this out there for anyone who was interested in how to replace the stock air filters. I have a 2011 M56x, so at the least, this would be the same for any of the M56 variants and years.

*Disclaimer* - I am not liable for anything you do to your car. This is just a basic walkthrough.

Also, you do not have to do it exactly how I do. Different people tackle things differently. This just how I do it.

Task: Replace air filters on a M56 (VK56VD)
Time:15-20 minutes
Tools/Supplies Needed:
  • Flat head screw driver
  • Two filters of your choice. I used Purolator #A24675.
  • 10mm wrench or socket

Process:

1) Open the hood and remove the air scoop/cover/large plastic thing :gapteeth:. This is held on by a bunch of push pins. Pop them all out.

2) Now, remove the 10mm bolts holding each of the airboxes in place. There is one on each side.

3) You'll be left with this:

4) Undo the airboxes (there is metal clips on two sides of each box). Slowly jimmy the part closest to the front out and separate the boxes. You should end up with this:

5) Install the air filters in the same way you removed them and you should see this:

6) Now, just put everything back together and you're done.

AlphaSnacks
Car: 2013 M56S Aero

You don't need to take the airbox off. Just unclip it, and separate the gap enough to pull and lift the old filter out. Keep the gap open and drop the new filter in. That's how I did mine and that's how the dealer does it too.

Also, don't put the air scoop cover back on. All it does is rob and constrict air flow. I never put mine back on and the car sounds absolutely glorious when the intakes open up and you get a lot more throttle response and midrange punch. I've put 3K miles like this. It also prevents the air scoops from sucking the bugs directly in too - I don't have to clean my airbox much anymore.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

AlphaSnacks wrote:You don't need to take the airbox off. Just unclip it, and separate the gap enough to pull and lift the old filter out. Keep the gap open and drop the new filter in. That's how I did mine and that's how the dealer does it too.

Also, don't put the air scoop cover back on. All it does is rob and constrict air flow. I never put mine back on and the car sounds absolutely glorious when the intakes open up and you get a lot more throttle response and midrange punch. I've put 3K miles like this. It also prevents the air scoops from sucking the bugs directly in too - I don't have to clean my airbox much anymore.
I tried to do that and didn't quite have the room it seemed. It wasn't hard to jimmy the half of the box out. But if it works that way, that's cool too.

Interesting about the air scoop...might have to give that a try.

wideopn11
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x Moonlight White

Takeda CAI
Stillen exhaust w/ MeganRacing Y-pipe
SCALE coilovers 16K/10K F/R
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Yeah I also just popped the clips off, pulled the old filters out and dropped the new one's in. Still, nothing wrong with giving yourself more room to work. We need to link these to the how-to stickies.

Ilya

wideopn11 wrote:Yeah I also just popped the clips off, pulled the old filters out and dropped the new one's in. Still, nothing wrong with giving yourself more room to work. We need to link these to the how-to stickies.
I did. They are in the FAQ thread.

AlphaSnacks

IlyaKol wrote:
AlphaSnacks wrote:You don't need to take the airbox off. Just unclip it, and separate the gap enough to pull and lift the old filter out. Keep the gap open and drop the new filter in. That's how I did mine and that's how the dealer does it too.

I tried to do that and didn't quite have the room it seemed. It wasn't hard to jimmy the half of the box out. But if it works that way, that's cool too.

Interesting about the air scoop...might have to give that a try.
Have you taken the scoop off yet?

If so, I'd put money on it that you're purposely stabbing the throttle in manual mode just to hear those intakes howl and growl.

Ilya

Not yet. We're in the process of getting half a foot of snow.

AlphaSnacks

IlyaKol wrote:Not yet. We're in the process of getting half a foot of snow.
So I've heard. Take it easy out there. Ni pizdi na darogi! :)

Ilya

Sounds so good lol.

AlphaSnacks

It's intoxicating.

Sounds exactly like any aftermarket intake would. So you've basically got a nice ram air setup now.

CRV_33
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x

So are you guys saying to remove that huge black plastic piece because its restricting the airflow?

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

CRV_33 wrote:So are you guys saying to remove that huge black plastic piece because its restricting the airflow?
That is what AlphaSnacks is suggesting. It's actually an air duct that takes fresh, cold air from the front grille to the air filters. Although removing it may allow a larger volume of air in, and will be louder, it will be warm/hot air since it is from inside the engine compartment. Any performance benefits may be nullified by this. No way to be sure without a dyno session. :gotme

I keep mine on.

Ilya

I've been toying with the idea of putting mine on when I get UpRev.

My plan is to do this as soon as I get my UpRev cable back at the end of the week.

1) Drive the car with the computer connected to monitor Intake Air Temp with it off.
2) Let engine cool completely
3) Drive the car with the computer connected to monitor Intake Air Temp with it on.

If it's a few degrees, keep it off. If it's considerable, then might leave it on.

Ilya

So, I did some test today with UpRev and here is what I found.

On a 45* afternoon:

1) The car idled at around 70* with the air cowl installed
2) The car idled at around 108* with the air cowl removed
3) Cruising and driving spiritedly with the cowl installed, the lowest temp I saw was like 52*
4) Cruising and driving spiritedly with the cowl removed, the lowest temp I saw was like 54*

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

Were you measuring intake temperature from the ECU?

The air restriction the cowl causes seems to be more detrimental than the intake temperature. I have driven with it on and off experimenting on my own and havent felt much of a difference with the cowl off other than a snappier throttle and throatier sound.

I was thinking of removing the upper half of the cowl and installing it that way so that it at least limits pulling in air through the radiator... Haven't had a chance to experiment with it yet.

Ilya

adeedpb wrote:Were you measuring intake temperature from the ECU?

The air restriction the cowl causes seems to be more detrimental than the intake temperature. I have driven with it on and off experimenting on my own and havent felt much of a difference with the cowl off other than a snappier throttle and throatier sound.

I was thinking of removing the upper half of the cowl and installing it that way so that it at least limits pulling in air through the radiator... Haven't had a chance to experiment with it yet.
Yes, intake air temperature.

That would a good idea though...would be interesting to see. And correct, I didn't notice much difference other than the sound (which is MUCH better without it).

adeedpb
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD

Definitely sounds better without it.

I am getting an experimental itch tonight... I will break down the cowl and see if it functions without the top portion.

adeedpb
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD

The top and bottom half of the cowl do separate by removing the screws and "carefully" prying it from the plastic tabs that hold it together. I broke most of the tabs, so it is not going back together now.

It looks like it could work, it would definitely discourage the airflow from after the radiator / in the engine bay.

Ilya

The look alone will prevent me from doing this, haha.

infinitedrift
Car: 99' Cherokee
11' M56s
03' M45
03' Maxima(SOLD)
08' M35
91' 240(SOLD)
07' Crown Vic (wink)

adeedpb wrote:Image

The top and bottom half of the cowl do separate by removing the screws and "carefully" prying it from the plastic tabs that hold it together. I broke most of the tabs, so it is not going back together now.

It looks like it could work, it would definitely discourage the airflow from after the radiator / in the engine bay.

any updates on this?

CRV_33
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x

Wow thanks to everyone and their feedback. Definitely checking back for more updates!

adeedpb
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD

infinitedrift wrote:
adeedpb wrote:Image

any updates on this?
I have not yet hooked up to the ecu to grab intake temperatures to do a comparison. But from my personal observations I would say it is actually pretty effective. It still sounds and performs as if the cowl is removed and I am pretty sure it is pulling in cooler air than it would with the cowl completely removed.

It doesn't look too bad when you wash the cowl and slap some McGuires Back to Black on it. I may end up taking a dremel to the screw stalks that are sticking up and give it a cleaner look.

I will try to get some temperature data this evening, my bluetooth dongle for my ECU is not happy after a recent update so it may be a few days.

Ilya

After you clean it up and make it look purdy and provide ECU IAT readings, I may follow suit.

infinitedrift
11' M56s
03' M45
03' Maxima(SOLD)
08' M35
91' 240(SOLD)
07' Crown Vic (wink)

IlyaKol wrote:After you clean it up and make it look purdy and provide ECU IAT readings, I may follow suit.
Do you still have your cowl off or did you put back on? I just ordered some AEM drop in filters so that will be nice.

By the way IlyaKol, are you on the Facebook forum for M56/Q70? We have a chat going on right now about getting an intake company to make one for the M56. I just got off the phone with them, well you can read it, the thread is pretty long.

Ilya

infinitedrift wrote:
IlyaKol wrote:After you clean it up and make it look purdy and provide ECU IAT readings, I may follow suit.
Do you still have your cowl off or did you put back on? I just ordered some AEM drop in filters so that will be nice.

By the way IlyaKol, are you on the Facebook forum for M56/Q70? We have a chat going on right now about getting an intake company to make one for the M56. I just got off the phone with them, well you can read it, the thread is pretty long.
I took it back off because I don't care about the idle temps and the cruising/driving temps were pretty close. Also, I just realized that my post about temps was wrong (late at night? dunno lol). I have corrected them. Here is what I meant to type:

1) The car idled at around 70* with the air cowl installed
2) The car idled at around 108* with the air cowl removed
3) Cruising and driving spiritedly with the cowl installed, the lowest temp I saw was like 52*
4) Cruising and driving spiritedly with the cowl removed, the lowest temp I saw was like 54*

And no, I don't really use FB for car stuff. What is the thread link?

infinitedrift
11' M56s
03' M45
03' Maxima(SOLD)
08' M35
91' 240(SOLD)
07' Crown Vic (wink)

I didn't do Facebook either for car stuff until I found these guys. The link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/625048087624661/

if the link doesn't work, just go to the search bar on Facebook and type in M56/Q70 Tuners. HPS is the company we are trying to get to make the intakes. One of the guys dropped off his car there a few months back for the R&D but still no word yet when it will be released as of today.

Ilya

infinitedrift wrote:I didn't do Facebook either for car stuff until I found these guys. The link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/625048087624661/

if the link doesn't work, just go to the search bar on Facebook and type in M56/Q70 Tuners. HPS is the company we are trying to get to make the intakes. One of the guys dropped off his car there a few months back for the R&D but still no word yet when it will be released as of today.
Okay, I've requested to join.

AlphaSnacks

In Florida keeping the cowl off during the summer days becomes an issue of heat soak. So I put mine back on, but the weather is now nice and cool so I will be taking it back off again.

I've tried separating the two pieces, but once I broke a tab I stopped. LOL.

adeedpb
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD

Over the weekend I ran the car with the cowl completely removed, lower half of the cowl, and a modified whole cowl. The lower cowl made a minor change in temperature while the modified cowl made a more significant change.

Peak Temperatures at idle (Ambient Temperature = 88 F - Slight Breeze)

With Cowl Removed = 148 F
With Lower Cowl = 132 F
Modified Cowl = 103 F

I modified the top portion of the cowl by cutting just in front of the seal line that is left from the seal on the underside of the hood. I didn't notice any loss of the throaty sound removing the cowl caused but then again I have a modified exhaust now so it is a bit more difficult to distinguish and compare to pre-exhaust mod.

The cowl definitely helps in idle conditions, but the temperature differences at cruise seem inconsequential. The intake might be better modified from a performance aspect with a nice set of smooth intake tubes. I definitely prefer the sound of the removed or modified cowl but wouldn't expect any noticeable performance gains from it alone, other than the seemingly snappier throttle.

Ilya

That looks far better. I'm going to leave mine off completely and hopefully Naldo can get to R2C to have an intake made...will be my first ever cold air intake purchase.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”