HowTo: Replace Air Filters (M56 - VK56VD)

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
agoodall
Car: 2011 M37x

I removed my cowl on my M37x on Monday after reading this thread...and man I love it. The sound is throaty and awesome and the throttle response is definitely slightly improved.

I am going to cut up my cowl...i guess. I was thinking about modifying the air box with a filter or screen to cover the hole in the airbox (paranoia). I work in a prop shop/mythbuster type deal so I have access to all types of plastics and materials...but dont want to end up wasting my time building something that I am just going to take off when I find a CAI i like.

agoodall
Car: 2011 M37x

adeedpb wrote:Over the weekend I ran the car with the cowl completely removed, lower half of the cowl, and a modified whole cowl. The lower cowl made a minor change in temperature while the modified cowl made a more significant change.

Peak Temperatures at idle (Ambient Temperature = 88 F - Slight Breeze)

With Cowl Removed = 148 F
With Lower Cowl = 132 F
Modified Cowl = 103 F

I modified the top portion of the cowl by cutting just in front of the seal line that is left from the seal on the underside of the hood. I didn't notice any loss of the throaty sound removing the cowl caused but then again I have a modified exhaust now so it is a bit more difficult to distinguish and compare to pre-exhaust mod.

The cowl definitely helps in idle conditions, but the temperature differences at cruise seem inconsequential. The intake might be better modified from a performance aspect with a nice set of smooth intake tubes. I definitely prefer the sound of the removed or modified cowl but wouldn't expect any noticeable performance gains from it alone, other than the seemingly snappier throttle.
Also:
Very cool...but where is it connected to on the car other than the air box? You cut out most of the connection points for the cowl. Did you just drill through the cowl at the useable connection points and pop them back in? It almost looks that way in your pic...but I was sure if the M37 cowl is that much different than the M56

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

It doesn't move around, I drove with it installed and not secured and I don't think it budged...even at 100mph.

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

It is secured by 2 of those wonderfully cheap fender rivets and the pressure of the hood seal holds it down as well. Even when I had only the bottom portion on it held up just fine with the 2 fender rivets. Also tested it out in a good rain storm, no water got anywhere near the intake.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

So, bringing this back up. I've been suffering for years with the 'hesitation' of slowing down to a near stop (for example, coasting up the a light) and the hitting the gas and the car seemingly staying in like 3rd gear and having no power unless you mash it.

The other day, I re-installed the entire scoop assembly and so far, even as we are entering mid-June, haven't had a single episode. The car just seems to drive better overall. With the HPS tubes, I think the car was just sucking in too much hot air.

C6Joe1957
Car: 2012 M56 Sport
2008 G37 Journey Sport

Ilya wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:50 pm
So, bringing this back up. I've been suffering for years with the 'hesitation' of slowing down to a near stop (for example, coasting up the a light) and the hitting the gas and the car seemingly staying in like 3rd gear and having no power unless you mash it.

The other day, I re-installed the entire scoop assembly and so far, even as we are entering mid-June, haven't had a single episode. The car just seems to drive better overall. With the HPS tubes, I think the car was just sucking in too much hot air.
Back from the dead again! :crazy:

I believe I have the same HPS intake hoses and just yesterday took off the cowl to hear the growl (no pun intended) which I really like. I separated the cover from the lower air dam I guess you would call it, and thought it looked promising in that it would draw more cool air.

So, searching the forum for more info I found this post and now I'm concerned about the lag as you experienced when decelerating in third gear while coasting. Any follow up to your situation?

And also, I remember reading somewhere (maybe FB) that HPS was possibly looking into building a CAI for the 5.6 too. What ever happen to that?

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

C6Joe1957 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:08 am
Back from the dead again! :crazy:

I believe I have the same HPS intake hoses and just yesterday took off the cowl to hear the growl (no pun intended) which I really like. I separated the cover from the lower air dam I guess you would call it, and thought it looked promising in that it would draw more cool air.

So, searching the forum for more info I found this post and now I'm concerned about the lag as you experienced when decelerating in third gear while coasting. Any follow up to your situation?

And also, I remember reading somewhere (maybe FB) that HPS was possibly looking into building a CAI for the 5.6 too. What ever happen to that?
Driven Motorsports in NY just completed a long tube CAI group buy for the M56. Close to 1K if I remember right. They're on Instagram. You'll have to scroll down to Dec 14th post to see what it looks like.

Just my two cents, the car is tuned to run most effectively with the cowl in place, so I would leave it alone. It draws plenty enough cool air for the stock engine.

Ilya

Agree with Army...leave the cowl in place. It's in the teens right now so the hesitation is non-existent but I don't recall noticing it as much when summer was here.

C6Joe1957
2008 G37 Journey Sport

armybrat wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:14 pm

Driven Motorsports in NY just completed a long tube CAI group buy for the M56. Close to 1K if I remember right. They're on Instagram. You'll have to scroll down to Dec 14th post to see what it looks like.

Just my two cents, the car is tuned to run most effectively with the cowl in place, so I would leave it alone. It draws plenty enough cool air for the stock engine.
Thanks for the DMS heads up! I called them yesterday and the gentleman said that they had just finished completing all the group buys but, had one kit left that had not been powder coated yet due to someone bailing on the group buy. Said it would be 2-3 weeks to be completed and that the cost for the kit would be $850+ shipping.

Seems like a lot of coin compared to the cost of my Z1 Motorsport G37 Cold Air Intake Kit that was $503 delivered last year. But it's hard to compare the two without seeing the DMS Kit and comparing the build quality.

I did find an "Air-Duct" (Infiniti Parts verbiage) 16554-1MC0A on fleabay for $125 and the OEM online store sells it for $157. I might get the new one as a back up while I experiment with mine ala adeedpb. :cheers:

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

C6Joe1957 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:26 pm
Thanks for the DMS heads up! I called them yesterday and the gentleman said that they had just finished completing all the group buys but, had one kit left that had not been powder coated yet due to someone bailing on the group buy. Said it would be 2-3 weeks to be completed and that the cost for the kit would be $850+ shipping.

Seems like a lot of coin compared to the cost of my Z1 Motorsport G37 Cold Air Intake Kit that was $503 delivered last year. But it's hard to compare the two without seeing the DMS Kit and comparing the build quality.

I did find an "Air-Duct" (Infiniti Parts verbiage) 16554-1MC0A on fleabay for $125 and the OEM online store sells it for $157. I might get the new one as a back up while I experiment with mine ala adeedpb. :cheers:

Cool. Here's a video someone posted on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6250480 ... 157819893/ you'll have to join the group to check it out. Build quality looks great!

C6Joe1957
2008 G37 Journey Sport

armybrat wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:17 pm
Cool. Here's a video someone posted on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6250480 ... 157819893/ you'll have to join the group to check it out. Build quality looks great!
Thank you for that! Just waiting to be accepted. :chuckle:

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”