HowTo: Install GROM Audio VLine VL2 (NIS9VL2) Android Auto/Apple CarPlay Interface (2011+ Infiniti M/Q70)

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Brian35XR
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x
2006 Infiniti M35x
2004 Infiniti G35 - Sold

gromaudio wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:27 pm
We have the next group order, starting March 9th. If you would like to join, send us the pm with your email address and name, and we will add you to the list. You can also contact us via the web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html
After all of my previous issues with the VLine unit, I want to warn people against downloading the v60 firmware upgrade released this morning, it BRICKED my unit & factory car system. :argh

Back in 2020 GROM had an issue where they released a corrupt/incomplete firmware update (v28) which borked the video output from the VLine (showed all WHITE or random colors) while audio still worked. It was fixed by GROM releasing v29 which bricked users had to manually install using a flash drive.. there were many posts here at the time.

Well this morning after downloading v60 I rebooted to a BLACK screen, but not just with the VLINE... with my car's entire system. This means every visual aspect of my car does not work - Ex: Backup cam, factory radio, A/C controls, tire pressure, etc... My HVAC buttons are no longer functional nor do they light up. Additionally my A/C turns on full blast which is typical when Infiniti's detect fault to the factory infotainment system.

If I unplug the main wire harness of the VLine and plug it back in, for a split second the factory screen and lights come on and say "No USB Memory..." while it loads the VLine, but as soon as VLine loads everything goes BLACK in an instant.

I opened a ticket with GROM regarding this but caution people against downloading the v60 firmware update in the meantime until this is resolved. :facepalm:

Yoda's Master
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z

Brian35XR wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:14 pm
gromaudio wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:27 pm
We have the next group order, starting March 9th. If you would like to join, send us the pm with your email address and name, and we will add you to the list. You can also contact us via the web form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html
After all of my previous issues with the VLine unit, I want to warn people against downloading the v60 firmware upgrade released this morning, it BRICKED my unit & factory car system. :argh

Back in 2020 GROM had an issue where they released a corrupt/incomplete firmware update (v28) which borked the video output from the VLine (showed all WHITE or random colors) while audio still worked. It was fixed by GROM releasing v29 which bricked users had to manually install using a flash drive.. there were many posts here at the time.

Well this morning after downloading v60 I rebooted to a BLACK screen, but not just with the VLINE... with my car's entire system. This means every visual aspect of my car does not work - Ex: Backup cam, factory radio, A/C controls, tire pressure, etc... My HVAC buttons are no longer functional nor do they light up. Additionally my A/C turns on full blast which is typical when Infiniti's detect fault to the factory infotainment system.

If I unplug the main wire harness of the VLine and plug it back in, for a split second the factory screen and lights come on and say "No USB Memory..." while it loads the VLine, but as soon as VLine loads everything goes BLACK in an instant.

I opened a ticket with GROM regarding this but caution people against downloading the v60 firmware update in the meantime until this is resolved. :facepalm:
Good luck, hope they help. They completely blew me off when i opened a ticket saying they're system broke my headunit.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I have good luck with their support, specifically Heath. This happened to our QX60 with the VLite system on our way back from Miami - boringest 4hr drive ever! But I still think GROM Audio is the best bang for the buck and AA/CarPlay solution.

Yoda's Master
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z

Ilya wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:26 pm
I have good luck with their support, specifically Heath. This happened to our QX60 with the VLite system on our way back from Miami - boringest 4hr drive ever! But I still think GROM Audio is the best bang for the buck and AA/CarPlay solution.
but did they have to pay for anything? I think it's a different story if they break your car and don't want to pay to repair it.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Yoda's Master wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:18 am
Ilya wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:26 pm
but did they have to pay for anything? I think it's a different story if they break your car and don't want to pay to repair it.
I've had a few firmware issues over the years with some of their releases but it's never damaged either one of my cars, so can't speak to that.

Brian35XR
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x
2006 Infiniti M35x
2004 Infiniti G35 - Sold

I worked with Sean at GROM; he sent me v53 firmware which I loaded on a flash drive and was able to auto-install via USB. Happy to say my issue is fixed.. all functions of my car now work again.Oddly this issue also caused my dashboard BRAKE light to illuminate which I had no idea the VLine could affect, but after the update the BRAKE light is off.

I attached the file for our cars to this post if anyone else has this issue. It has to be renamed to "gromvl1.hex" and placed onto a formatted FAT32 flash drive. Unplug everything on the VLine, Insert flash drive into USB2 and wait 15 secs, plug 20-pin harness and wait 15 secs, then plug everything else in and start car.
Attachments
gromvl1_nis9_53.ace
(72.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”