*Disclaimer* - I am not liable for anything you do to your car. This is just a basic walkthrough.
I took the pics with my HTC EVO 4G LTE from Sprint (love this phone). End of shameless plug lol.
Task: Change Sensor 2 Banks 1 & 2 Oxygen Sensors
Time: Took me 15 minutes but may take you longer depending on your tools, ability to get under the car, and whether or not your sensors are rusted to the car.
- Socket wrench
- 14mm wrench (may be a 12 though, can't seem to remember 100%)
- 7/8" wrench or a Oxygen Sensor Socket (looks like this picture
- Wire brush
- WD-40 or PB-Blaster
- CRC QD Electrical Contact Cleaner - like this
Here are the sensors we will be working with:
1) Jack the car up securely or get the car on a lift.
2) Look under the car, right in the middle, near the transmission oil pan. You should see this:
3) First thing I did was remove the bracket holding the harnesses to give myself some slack since I struggled getting them undone. You can try to unhook them just as they are, didn't work for me. I also had to take a small flat head screw driver to assist in loosening the connectors.
4) You should now be left with this:
5) Now take your 7/8 wrench or your oxygen sensor socket and undo the two sensors.
6) Now clean the threads on the pipe with a wire brush. This will help keep it clean later on in life.
7) Put some anti-sieze on the new sensors and install (reverse of removal).
8) Connect everything and check to make sure the sensors are tight. All set.
I also did Bank 2 of Sensor 1 (the higher up Oxygen Sensors) but these things were BEYOND a PITA so I'm not going to bother with a HowTo. I only recommend experienced mechanics/car wrenchers to tackle those sensors. Otherwise, drop the car off at a shop and pay the labor.
I am pretty good competent working cars and have a lot of tools including a lift, air tools, etc. but there just isn't ANY room up there. I had to undo the left sensor (Sensor 1 Bank 2) by hand pretty much. Sensor 1 Bank 1 I didn't do because I was shipped the wrong one. It looks even harder/less space than Bank 2.