how to supercharge a ca18det?

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Stock internals are fine.

The M62 from the Mercedes IS an Eaton. The reason I'm saying to use the one from the SLK is space. All other S/C's have a snout on them. If you try to use one of those, there is no where to place the S/C except where the intake manifold is, which means you'll have to hack up the intake, and run the S/C as a draw through setup (the T/B is in front of the S/C). It's not bad to run it that way, but it's much easier to mount it on the exhaust side, run a liquid to air intercooler infront of the engine, and leave the intake alone.

ska69
Car: 200sx s13 ca18det

hm..I see..

what about the bypass valve? I couldn't find it anywhere on the SLK eaton m62 - from what I found out it turns on @ 2700rpm, so I guess there is no need for a bypass valve on it?

float_6969

Exactly, the whole purpose of the clutch is to eliminate the need for they bypass. IIRC, the idea was that they used a switch on the TPS and if the throttle plate was closed the clutch was dis-engaged. It was also dis-engaged at part throttle/cruising conditions as well. Another thing to keep in mind is that a S/C bypass valve can be added at any time. It's simply a BOV that allowed to be open at idle instead of closed.

ska69

that means I should have some kind of switch that will engage the clutch (as I don't have an slk TB with its TPS), correct?

I do understand now how an ordinary m62 would work, but this magnetic clutch confuses me

ska69

btw, this s/c idea has got taken over my mind, spent the whole night reading and researching %)

ska69

what should be better - m45 from a Mini/Merc or a Merc m62?

float_6969

What's ur HP goals? I think the M62 will do 300hp, and the M45 is around 250hp.

ska69

200-220....so I guess the m45 would be a better choice?

unless I get my hands on that pretty SLK kompressor (love how this sounds...Kompressor with a german accent :))

float_6969

Yea, you always want to run the smallest supercharger that will get you to the power goals you want. I can tell you from plotting it out, that the M62 is a little weak on the bottom end.

Also, I found some of my calculations, and on the M62, you'll want to run about a 1.7 crank to super pulley ratio. That will give you a good balance between power and efficiency, and will probably get you to the HP level you're, maybe even more.

IDK about the M45, I'd have to do all the work again.

ska69

float, thanks for all your help :) However I still have to figure out how to mount it to the crank pulley. Perhaps, have a shop machine out a custom crank pulley with a mounting place?

I think I'll be going with the M62.

IMO, M45 seems a better option for a factory NA engine.

I'm currently trying to figure out where and how to mount the automatic tensioner. I guess I'll have to figure this out once I have the S/C, brackets, pulley, belt and tensioner all together. I think the best option is to obtain an automatic tensioner from some Eaton SC-ed car.

float_6969

I think a custom pulley with something that would allow the S/C pulley to be replaced for different boost levels is the best route. It'll be expensive, but worth it in the end.

I think you'll be happy with the M62. It should make pretty good power and make for a very fun motor.

Get a tensioner from the Ford Lightening. Seems to be popular in the custom S/C crowd. I think it's pretty compact and easily obtainable.

ska69

thanks, I'll have to look into this matter.

Replacing the s/c pulley on the crank each time? Isn't it easier to replace the pulley on the SC for varying boost levels?

ska69

I was just thinking in regard of the crank pulley - can I use the A/C or P/S ribs on the crank pulley for the S/C?

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

I'm pretty sure it's the s/c pulley he's talking about and not the crank pulley.

ska69

I guess I misunderstood him...sorry :)

Any more suggestions on the belt tensioners? found lots of different styles...at glance this one looks good to me - http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/belttensioner.php

ska69

I just can't find the aforementioned Ford tensioner..

ska69

float_6969

If you're getting the SLK supercharger, you can't change the pulley on the S/C because it's part of the clutch, so you have to vary the size of the crank pulley.

I'm pretty sure that's the tensioner you want.

ska69

considering the lack of pulleys for the slk m62 version, I'm thinking of obtaining an m45 from a Mini or a Mercedes (late model SLK and some other C class, iirc)...any idea if they'll fit?

One other option is to hack up the intake manifold and install a normal m62 there, but I'm not sure if I could manage to handle that.

float_6969

Ur gonna need a crank pulley made regardless. None of the existing spots have enough grooves to run a supercharger.

The M45 is a good supercharger as well, and may honestly be a little better fit for the CA as it will fill in the bottom end a lot, but it may not make the power you want up top.

Anything but the SLK M62 is gonna have to sit on the intake manifold. Everything else is too long unless you mount it over the exhaust manifold, which adds A LOT of heat.

Mounting it on the manifold is a good option though. you could still run an intercooler (it'd HAVE to be liquid to air), and you could run the TB on the suction side of the S/C, eliminating the need for a bypass valve and worrying about parasitic drag at part throttle. You will have to come up with a competent welder to weld something to the intake manifold to allow you to mount the intercooler. It might be easier to buy a core and just have a small plenum built and welded straight to a cut down upper intake manifold, and then have a plate built to mount the S/C to the other side of the intercooler. This is exactly how GM and Ford did their S/C setups. The intercooler itself acts as the plenum and runners, and since it's S/C'ed, there is little need for intake runner tuning as it's always under pressure (at least under throttle).

If that doesn't make sense, I can make a picture to explain what I'm trying to describe.

ska69

I found a project on sxoc, the guy used a mercedes m45 charger + custom brackets and placed it instead of the p/s pump, moving the latter down in place of the a/c compressor. I really like that idea, considering he mad 260 torq and 200hp, pretty much exactly what I want :)

I'm not sure if I'll be going with the SLK M62, as there is the clutch, making it almost impossible to swap pulleys on the S/C. Currently considering a Mini Cooper R53 M45 5th gen charger, seeing how the mx5 owners mount them, makes me think that it'll be possible on the CA18 as well.

The idea of mounting it instead of the manifold sounds very interesting, but an explanation picture would help me out a lot :)

I suppose in that case I could pretty much use any S/C and most of all the 'normal' m62's with the TB in the back which are much cheaper?

I think I'm confused :) pic please :)

btw, got my self Corky Bell's Supercharged! book =)

ska69

I know that this is a pic from a KA S/C project true-pig-build-t317694-320.html#p5661125, but could this be a solution?

float_6969

That's the idea, only that doesn't have an intercooler. I'd try to fit a water to air in between the S/C and the adapter plate.

ska69

Cool :)

I think I figured it out last night. The air will go into the inlet of the s/c through the TB and then discharged through the bottom of the S/C via adapter plate connected to the liquid intercooler, and then into a custom manifold connected to the CA's lower intake manifold (the part that's mounted to the block). I hope this makes sense :)

but where to put the by-pass valve? and what to do with other valves that are mounted on the stock CA intake manifold?

ska69

decided to draw a little picture myself, so I wouldn't forget what I came up with :crazy:

This is just a diagram, showing the general layout, I still have to figure out where other stuff will be mounted.

Suggestions and comments are always welcome :)

float_6969

I was thinking more like this;

ska69

the S/C would be sitting very high, wouldn't it?

anyways it's pretty much the same idea, only in my case the S/C isn't mounted on top of the I/C but connected to through piping.

I also came across some DIY manifold info, and it turns out I can really mess things up with the airflow @ the intake..I hope I'm wrong or that my initial setup will be correct :)

float_6969

Air flow distribution is why I was suggesting my method as opposed to yours. Air flow will be a non-issue with my design, where as yours will be a more traditional cross-flow plenum design. This means the shape of the plenum is going to be VERY important for even air flow distribution to the runners. My design is a direct-flow, short runner, large plenum design. In any instance but supercharging, it wouldn't be a good design, but in this particular instance, with the placement of the supercharger, throttle body, and intake runners in relation to eachother, it should be the best degin with the highest likelyhood of having even airflow distribution.

But yea, depending on how you do it, it might sit high. That was something I threw together this morning in 5min. In real life, the runners would be much shorter, and the intercooler and S/C would probably be tilted to the left for clearance.

ska69

thanks for the explanation. I guess, if they S/C with the intercooler will be flipped to the left, then it'll all fit.

so I'd need to make a custom intercooler?

ska69

making a custom intercooler doesn't scare me anymore :) found some nice Laminova water to air cores...so it's gonna be much easier.

also bumped into a picture of an S/C mounted to the I/C Image

so here are my interim conclusions (I know some may sound obvious or stupid, but I prefer to take it slowly) :rolleyes:

1. supercharging a ca18det has been done before.
2. it takes lots of fabrication.
3. I may end up with something not even close to my initial goals.
4. It's expensive (at least for me)
5. I now have even more questions than when I started this thread
6. I found most of required parts for this project.
7. I have a more or less complete vision of the setup :)

and just to sum up the idea, I'm going to be using the following parts:

1. '02-04 Nissan Xterra/Frontier Eaton M62 S/C
2. Custom Water-to-Air I/C
3. Custom intake manifold setup (meaning that the I/C will be connected almost directly to the lower intake manifold of the CA block)
4. Water-to-Air I/C heat exchanger & pump
5. Some piping (for air intake)
6. Custom adapter (S/C-to-I/C)
7. Ford Lightning belt tensioner
8. Some kind of S/C belt (I don't know which one yet)
9. a custom pulley for the crank (maybe..I don't know, might try using the A/C one)

I don't know if this is interesting to anyone but me, but the CA18 S/C idea has taken over my mind :gapteeth: :crazy:

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”