How to set your SR's timing in 30 minutes or less

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

You'll need a 24mm socket to rotate the exhaust cam.
1. Remove the valve cover
2. Take socket and rotate the exhaust cam until your crank pulley notch (2nd one from the left) is lined up with the pin.
3. Then check and see if your intake cam's key is at 10 o'clock and your exhaust cam's key is at 12 o'clock.
If not, do it one more time. It reaches this point once per every 2 times you turn it over to that position.
4. Once you're there, look at the notches on the cams, and make sure you have 9 links between them. That's 11 if you're including the links right above the notches, as well.
5. Now, your mechanical timing is dead-on and you're now at TDC on cylinder #1.
6. Reinstall your CAS. You'll line up 1 dot and then once inserted it'll rotate around to the next dot. Your CAS should be dead centered on the bolts with the dot lined up.
7. Reinstall the valve cover. Don't forget to put the valve cover gasket back in
8. Plug anything in you may have unplugged (For example: your CAS plug)

Here's a link with images from a NICO Sponsor. http://www.frsport.com/How-To-Set-Crank ... _t_25.html

Note: You don't need to have the colored links on the chain line up. Those are for the initial install of the chain.

CRyan
Car: 1997 Nissan 240SX

STICKY!! There was a part of my SR's life that I needed to know this.

Silvia91nh
Car: 240sx

Note: You don't need to have the colored links on the chain line up. Those are for the initial install of the chain.[/quote]

So does that mean I can hand crank the crank-shaft after I set up the timing dots with the links on the chain? But before I put the CAS in?

We set up the timing and we moved the crank a few times not thinking then we forgot the CAS install.. Do I just need to set it to the 2nd dot on crank pulley for TDC and I place the CAS in on the 1st dot and have it finish on the 2nd dot?

Any help is appreciated, this is our 1st SR engine were building.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”