HOW TO: Replace Instrument Cluster Lamps

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
04LEMASS
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE Platinum
-K&N Air Intake

I just took out my instruement cluster on my 04 pathfinder and took out a bulb and found that the bulbs are white and the thing that makes them colored is a film behind the gauges. Will this cause me trouble if i get blue leds? For example behind my blinker there is a green film, and if i get blue leds for it will it not look good, or will the blue show>

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

You should match the bulb's color with the filter's color. If you use white bulbs in the illumination spots, it'll still have a blue tint to it. I think if you get bright enough LEDs, blue will show through the green blinker spots. Your 04 only has replaceable illumination, odometer, blinker, and brights indicator bulbs so I'd use SMD LEDs in all of the spots, with tri-LED bulbs in the illumination & odometer spots.

BoostMyQX4
Car: 96 Infiniti QX4

I have another question.
How about if i want to replace this piece here.

With one that shows the letters and numbers, like this one.

Because if you look at the back of my gauge panel it already has the sockets for the Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, 1 and 2 bulbs.

Will it work? and it it was to work, where in the world do i get that piece from and what do you call it?

Any thought??

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Wow, an R50 cluster with only 113 miles on it.

I would remove the instrument cluster plastic lens (it's secured by eight clips) and see if you can remove the blank plastic cover over the shift indicators (I'm assuming it's just a blank cover, not sure). After that, add a bulb into the "P" twist base, turn the ignition to "ON" and see if it lights up.

BoostMyQX4

The one that is my cluster is a black solid piece.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Oh, I somehow misunderstood everything. Are there bulbs in the twist bases for the shift indicator lamps?

BoostMyQX4

Towncivilian wrote:Oh, I somehow misunderstood everything. Are there bulbs in the twist bases for the shift indicator lamps?
No there is no bulbs right now, see the whole row is empty as if you can put some in
But the little indicator piece with the P R N D 2 1 in my cluster is solid black, i want to know where i could get one to replace the solid one that is in my cluster, pending that the bulbs will light up of course.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Shine a flashlight through those holes, see if you can see the PRND21 spots light up. It might not be solid black.

dareno
Car: Pathfinder R50, 3.5 l V6 LE

I wan't to replace a bulb with LED and I have a question. What size od LED diode should it be (diameter)? Also is it needed to use a resistor just like when installing LEDs in door' switches?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Are you unable to source pre-made LED bulbs in Poland (from www.superbrightleds.com or www.autolumination.com)?

I will try to measure the diameter of an LED later. You will need a resistor and optionally a diode to prevent damage to the LED if you install it with polarity reversed.

dareno
Car: Pathfinder R50, 3.5 l V6 LE

I understand now. It is a special LED that works under 12V and it does not need a resistor. I found it in Poland already.
I don't need a diameter any more. Thanks TC.

nadnarb03
Car: 2000 nissan pathfinder

Towncivilian wrote:Yeah, ashtray is between the shifter and cupholders.
I have a normal 74-W (cool white, normal [not high-power] LED) LED bulb in there, it's quite bright enough. A tri-LED might be overkill.

Glovebox should have a light, maybe yours is dead.
I have a 74-WHP (cool white high power) in this spot. Still quite dim as you can see. A tri-LED bulb might be useful here, try it.

I would not put your white tri-LED bulbs in the turn indicators as the color would be more neon and not pure green unless you have green LEDs. If you put one in your bright indicator, you'll just have a very bright indicator.

You can put LEDs in your auto A/C control unit, read here. They take NEO-4x size bulbs.
How did you change the bulb on the gear shifter

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Remove the lower center console trim by removing the ashtray, then removing the single Phillips / 10mm bolt, then pulling the trim up, rotating it 90 degrees and pulling it out above the shift knob. Then twist the bulb socket, swap the bulb (verify it works before putting it back as LEDs are polarized), then twist the base back in place (this might be difficult). Reinstall trim in reverse order.

jimmymoo
Car: Infiniti QX4 99'

Towncivilian wrote:You should match the bulb's color with the filter's color. If you use white bulbs in the illumination spots, it'll still have a blue tint to it. I think if you get bright enough LEDs, blue will show through the green blinker spots. Your 04 only has replaceable illumination, odometer, blinker, and brights indicator bulbs so I'd use SMD LEDs in all of the spots, with tri-LED bulbs in the illumination & odometer spots.
Hi Towncivilian, I purchased "cool white" SMD LED from superbrightled assuming it would make my cluster white. But now I've installed it my cluster now has the blue color instead of white. How do I get the factory white again?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

"Warm white" bulbs may work better as they are closer to the original incandescent bulb color temperature. The instrument cluster gauges have a blue filter/lens which causes them to appear blue with the higher color temperature light.

BeerManMN
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE

How many bulbs do I need to turn it blue. Currently only the left half of my factory lights even turn on. I'm hoping this will solve my issue with the right side and I will have a full dash again.

After reading all these forums, I can assume I need the "Samsung #74 Matrix 3LED" or the "Supernova" ones. #2 and #3 listed on this page. Not sure which is the correct size yet ((18mm) x 1/4 (7mm) or ((20mm) x 3/8 (10mm)) I think for the 01 LE its the matrix. Just wanted to ask.

http://autolumination.com/74.htm

How many do I need? The red warnings can stay the same (red). Everything else, the blue is pretty clear to see. I also was curious about which bulb is for the center counsel so the PND123 will match.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Biker_Billy
Car: Pathfinder SE, 2001

Does anybody know what the part numbers are and where to order the stock lamps used on the Instrument Cluster lamps for a 2001 Pathfinder SE. All the other posts are dominated with the customization aspects with LEDs and the like. I just want to see my speedometer and tach without a bookreader lamp taped to my steering column. The Nissan dealer mechanics said they don't know how to replace the lamps just Instrument Control Panels. I wish I had found this forum $2000 ago when I was trying to find out why the rear end of my pathfinder was rocking every time I hit a bump.

Thanks,

Biker_Billy

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

You can remove the twist bases and swap out the #74 bulbs yourself. OEM twist bases with bulbs are prohibitively expensive; $18 each for 1.4W ones (turn signal and brights indicators), $5.53 each for 3W ones (gauge illumination), and $13 for the 1.4W odometer bulb.

If you still desire part numbers, let me know and I can provide exact ones.

Welcome to NICO!

robbykennedy
Car: 2003 Pathfinder SE
2005 Mercedes Benz C-Class

I just bought a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder with 85,000 miles. The person who owned this vehicle drove about 7,000 a year.

I can hardly see the instrument cluster at night; after reading this thread I have come to the realization that I need to replace the bulbs in my instrument cluster. Do I need to replace the bulbs with LEDs or with OEM bulbs?. If so what is the part number for my dashboard.
I am sorry if I am asking a dumb question.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Replace the bulbs with LEDs according to the part numbers in this guide.

Welcome to NICO!

Charlie987
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions. I replaced my bulbs today. The left bulb was going out and coming back on. I have no idea why except maybe the bulb had a loose filament. In any case, it took me about 15 minutes to get everything out and after I bought the bulbs, another 5 minutes to reassemble. Including fooling around with the bulbs on my kitchen table, the whole job took less than an hour.

Thanks again! :dblthumb:

Charlie

Miggggel
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder

I've been having issues with the bulbs that illuminate the gauges on my instrument cluster to my 03 Pathfinder since I had the fuel gauge repaired. I tried to tighten the bulbs but only was able to get 1 out of the 3 bulbs working. I decided that it was time to replace the bulbs, so I ordered new sockets cause the current ones where brittle. I ordered the sockets (Toshiba V-2) from http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder ... _4742.html and the lights from http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... -base/228/. When I received the new sockets with bulbs (A14V3W) I was not able to get them to turn on. I turned the sockets 180 degrees, 360 degrees and nothing. I then also removed the bulbs that came with the socket and installed the LED lights into the new sockets and still nothing. Now I can not get any of the bulbs to work. I then reinstalled the old sockets/bulbs and still nothing. Therefore I'm not sure if it's a fuse that might need to be replaced. I was hoping that someone has come across this issue and can assist.

[email protected]
Car: 2004 Nissan Frontier

Hey Town I bought some blue LED bulbs for my 04 Frontier on EBAY and they sent me the twist sockets for free! just add the year make and model in the ebay search box and they will display only the bulbs compatible with your vehicle.. I spent about $7.00 for 4 bulbs and 4 twist bases..

Trey0702
Car: 02 Pathfinder LE

Thanks guys! This tutorial was dead on & it only took me 45 minutes, including the time spent going to get the bulbs. I was worried after calling the dealer & being told that I'd have to pay the $168 diagnostic fee due to there being several versions of the gauge cluster, with some not being able to be repaired. :chuckle: :chuckle:

BarryN
Car: 2011 Altima SR
2002 Pathfinder LE

The right side of my gauges do not light up. I can't see RPM or engine temp. Am I missing something? I thought new bulbs would fix it but the right side is just dead...

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

If you get the blue bulbs, the gauges will show up blue but they will be dim - hard to read.

Barry, what bulbs did you get? If they are LED, then they will be directional (they will only work one way). If they are incandescent then you pay have a broken cold solder somewhere on the gauge cluster PCB

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

Trey0702 wrote: I was worried after calling the dealer & being told that I'd have to pay the $168 diagnostic fee

I'll fix it for $250. Diagnostic fee is free.

BarryN
Car: 2011 Altima SR
2002 Pathfinder LE

Fueler, I'm using the right bulbs because the left side works with the blue leds I installed. The right side has only come on once in the past month I've had the truck. I can't figure out what the deal is.

beast44
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder

Hi guys

The lights on my dash seem to have gone out. The indicators, high beams, etc are all ok, but the lights behind the speedo and tacho are out. They were very dim for a while and have now gone out. I assumed it was the bulbs, so I bought some new LED bulbs and fitted them. No luck. Checked all the fuses, all seem ok. Anyone know which fuse would be for the dash lights?

Any other suggestions? What could this be and is it something I can fix?

Thanks vm

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”