How To: Replace Cabin Air Filter

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

Should be done every year or 15k miles. Mine cost $40CDN at the dealer...couldnt find it in stock anywhere else (although AJRK found the set for $30 at napa in the east end of toronto)

I hope you guys find the pictures ok, I took them on my new blackberry storm!

Before/After, I dont think theyve ever been changed...

If you dont already know, the filters are behind the glovebox

Unclip the pieces that the glovebox rotates on, just pull them inwards, they will pop out with enough force.

Unclip the string that holds the glovebox

Pull the glovebox out (needs to be tilted)

Unbolt these screws, then the whole panel pops off. Pull from the left, the trim goes behind some molding near the door, so make sure you put it back in properly...behind the moulding

There they are! theres two, they easily break coming out if their old, analyze the pattern that they are together (each side is unique). Theres a small clip at the bottom that needs to be removed.Installing the new ones is easier than removing the old, you need to push them together as they go in

TIP: I blew out the airbox with a compressor, then vaccumed removing the loose dirt. I then ran the fan for 5 minutes, and alot of leaves and crap blew out (it goes right out where the filters were, not your vents). ALSO spray your new filters with car fragrance, works great. When replacing them make sure they are in tight or else air will leak out and you wont get the maximum airflow from vents

If in doubt, the nissan filters came with instructions with drawings, I just figured Id show everyone how easily its done!

bmlawless
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

Nice write-up. For reference, the 1999 and earlier models do not have the cabin air filters. I did see a write-up once where someone modified the plenum and added them.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Agreed...good writeup.FYI for Pathfinder owners: My 2002 Pathfinder did not come equipped with filters. I'm going to assume that they are not standard equipment on Pathy's.Having said that, I installed them last year, and had to break out the knockouts. No problems.The filter kit (from the dealer) came with the clips and such, and were easy to install.I haven't checked them since btw, so I think that will be my weekend project.

Qxxx4

+1 upgrade for the 99.5! I heard someone saying the older ones didnt have cabin filters, didnt know the 99's lacked it. its a nice feature (looking at my old filter)

As for the Storm, I love it. I got it for $300CDN unlocked, off some business guy.

Do you work for Verizon? Im a repair tech at RIM for the summer, then its one more semester to graduate and hopefully I end up here permanently. lots of good resources here, the storm has a bad name lately due to the click screen but its really luck of the draw. It depends on how your housing and LCD come together. Its easily modified though and once it is, its perfect.

[email protected] if your into some phone discussion, also check out http://www.howardforums.com im on the RIM forum from time to time. good site if your a cell phone lover.

from cabin filters to blackberries, NICO has it ALL!

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

Nice walk-through Brian. Here's 2 more reasons why they should be changed out. I'll post these 100x just so people the get idea.

Billy

hospitalbuilder
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4

I have a 99Q. Bored one weekend, I followed your instructions and viola, I have the cabin air filters. They were NASTY, but have now been replaced with crisp clean filters. I suppose someone could have added them before I picked it up. If that happened they did a great job, the filter opening was neatly done, looked factory.

bmlawless
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

Qxxx4 wrote:Do you work for Verizon?
Close, I work for a contractor that provides tier 3 tech support for Verizon. It's super high stress (all call centers are) and I'm not sure how long I'm gonna stick around. Getting sick of people calling me all pissed off for something I can't control.

BACK ON TOPIC:
hospitalbuilder wrote:I have a 99Q. Bored one weekend, I followed your instructions and viola, I have the cabin air filters. They were NASTY, but have now been replaced with crisp clean filters. I suppose someone could have added them before I picked it up. If that happened they did a great job, the filter opening was neatly done, looked factory.
That's interesting. I'm sure I read that the 99's and earlier didn't have them. I know mine doesn't for sure.

2 Coupes
Car: Mine- 03 QX4
Hers- 07 FX35

Just wanted to add some pictures for those who own 2001 or newer Pathys/QX4. There are some minor differences between the 1999.5-2000 Pathy/QX4 and >2001 Pathy/QX4 when replacing the Cabin Air Filter.

After you take the glove compartment section out with the two bottom pins and detaching the retractable string. There will be 9 screws that need to be accessed instead of 4. Here are the pictures to show the first 8 screws.

The 2 screws labels with the "W" on them signify the 2 screws that need to be removed to take out the wood section of the dash.

After removing the wood section of the dash, there is one last (9th) hiding screw that needs to be accessed. After this step everything else is the same as Qxxx4 has described.

GRNMACHINE
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder SE 4x4

Great write-up Qxxx4! Thanks for info and pics. I am not sure where I read 99.5 Path's dont have in cabin air filters but I am going to check it out now that I see where they are located. Original owner so I can say 100% if they are there, they are original.... Plan on swapping tires out this weekend with stockers, good time to check for filters as well. Nice legs too.... Heh Heh Just Kidding dude

Qxxx4

LOL i forgot i wrote this! damn i miss the summer and my yellow shorts, working on the q. now the weather is terrible and I just moved, and just finishing college, absolutely no time for the q, but hell i did a lot this year and I learned a lot too thanks to everyone on here so I try to contribute whatever I do, even simple things like this!

GRNMACHINE

I agree 100%! Much Appreciated as well. It is getting cold here, I can only imagine Canada is even colder right now. I am actually going to have a dealer which was recommended, do some work for me tomorrow.

wizeguy
Car: 2005 Pathfinder

I found my filters on Ebay...The dealer wanted too much!

JonathanPrem
Car: 02 Nissan pathfinder 4WD SE

I did mine yesterday and follow every step from Qxx4. At the end guess what Nissan did. They never put a cabin filter in R50. In second last pic with white piece with stars. Mines doesn't exact cause no one cut the slot for cabin filter. I got Lemon cabin filter box

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

some R50's have them, some dont. The filter comes with instructions on how to install the filter if you dont have one. So you can add it.

JonathanPrem
Car: 02 Nissan pathfinder 4WD SE

That weird those. They didnt even cut the slot for me. F7k nissan sometimes for there stupid sh1t

Buzzman

JonathanPrem wrote:I did mine yesterday and follow every step from Qxx4. At the end guess what Nissan did. They never put a cabin filter in R50. In second last pic with white piece with stars. Mines doesn't exact cause no one cut the slot for cabin filter. I got Lemon cabin filter box
JonathanPrem wrote:That weird those. They didnt even cut the slot for me. F7k nissan sometimes for there stupid sh1t
I don't see what you're b****in' about. Not only that but I'm not even sure what you're saying. Your English is really bad on these two posts.Anyway, Nissan didn't screw you over. The Pathfinder didn't come from the factory with cabin filters. Period. "They" didn't cut out the slots cause if they did, you'd have a massive air leak. You have to knock out the slots yourself to make room for the filters. It's simple. I installed cabin filters in my '02 Pathy about 2 years ago after reading about them on this site. It was a simple and straightforward process. Took about 15 minutes.In a word: remove the covers that are over the slots, slide in your filters, and re-install the glove box. Geez.

Pwnin O'Brien

And here's a step-by-step of how to add a filter if it didn't come with it...

http://www.courtesyparts.com/i....html

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

you guys act like you've never heard the phrase "that weird those" before.

Buzzman

fueler wrote:you guys act like you've never heard the phrase "that weird those" before.
So like, is that some kind of like, you know, like California speak or something like, you know?.......eh?

ugharin
Car: 2000 QX4; 2002 QX4

fueler wrote:you guys act like you've never heard the phrase "that weird those" before.
lol..

Actually, I hear that all the time and...naah...fuk...am kidding..

Innovazn
Car: Yellow 1998 Nissan R34 Skyline RB25DET 5 MT - Current

White 2012 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SR 6MT - Salvage (T-Boned at left turn)

White 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE - SOLD (blew the engine)

so to clarify, my 02 Patfinder SHOULD have the "filters" they just havent been put in yet. They just need to be cut and installed and that process alone is easy? i dont want to be tearing it apart to find i have to buy more then jsut filters

Pwnin O'Brien

Innovazn wrote:so to clarify, my 02 Patfinder SHOULD have the "filters" they just havent been put in yet. They just need to be cut and installed and that process alone is easy? i dont want to be tearing it apart to find i have to buy more then jsut filters
In-cabin filters were an option on the Pathfinder. They did not come standard, I'm sure they came in a package with the auto HVAC though. So if you have auto HVAC you most likely have the cabin filters already. Most Pathfinders with the manual dial-type controls do not have the cabin filters, so the spots have to be cut out to put new ones in. I think the in-cabin filter option was $30.

All you need to install new filters (if the vehicle did not come with filters from the factory) is a utility knife.

Innovazn

sweet deal... thats another to add to my list apart from the intake resonator.... coming sunday afternoon.....

GRNMACHINE

Innovazn wrote:sweet deal... thats another to add to my list apart from the intake resonator.... coming sunday afternoon.....
x2--Finally getting some warm weather.

BryanWSD
Car: 2010 Infiniti G37S Sedan
2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

FYI - I have an 02 pathy w/ auto climate control and no filters.

Last year, I looked into adding it, but I couldn't find the clips for the filters to hold them in place. I went to the Infiniti dealer and a couple auto parts stores.

You guys that are getting the clips with the filters, where are you buying the filters? From Nissan, Infiniti, or somewhere else?

rydebynite
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5l V-6

shyt ur telling me.Was getting so tired of driving around in this crap

Pwnin O'Brien

BryanWSD wrote:FYI - I have an 02 pathy w/ auto climate control and no filters.

Last year, I looked into adding it, but I couldn't find the clips for the filters to hold them in place. I went to the Infiniti dealer and a couple auto parts stores.

You guys that are getting the clips with the filters, where are you buying the filters? From Nissan, Infiniti, or somewhere else?
Yeah, I didn't think the filters came with all Pathfinders with the Auto HVAC, but it probably came as a package (like a luxury package or something of the sort). My Pathfinder didn't come with the filters either but the clip for the filters is clipped onto the air box next to where the filters go. In the following picture I circled where I found my clip.

Innovazn

did you have to cut yours out?

BryanWSD
Car: 2010 Infiniti G37S Sedan
2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

Pwin O'Brien, thanks for the pointer. I'll check that next time I get in there.

Pwnin O'Brien

Innovazn wrote:did you have to cut yours out?
Nope, when I first bought my car I bought replacement filters and realized I would have to cut the holes out and just decided against it and I returned the filters to the dealer.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”