How To: Replace Cabin Air Filter

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Casutherland42
Car: 2000 Nissan Pathfinder

Lol its sort of hard to tell from the diagram. I hope that I cut the correct area on the black box.

Silverhorn
Car: 1999 Infiniti Qx4

Thanks guys! Very helpful post. After staring at my airbox for about 5 minutes I came here. Took me less than 5 minutes to cut the slots for the filters and put them in!

I can't believe I've owned this car for a few years without air filters... :/ Glad I finally got around to "changing" them.

Josh G.
Car: '98 QX4 "Project: Goldfinger"

Maybe it's late, or I'm just confused... I have a 98 QX4. Does it have a cabin air filter?

rgk
Car: 02 Pathfinder LE 3.5 auto 4x4

Most Pathfinders and QX4s prior to 2003 do not have cabin air filters. However, scroll up through this thread to find out how to cut a notch in your vent system in order to install them. Those who have done it say that it's a pretty easy mod.

AlanAZ
Car: 2003 QX4 rwd

2003 QX4: there's a hidden screw upper right side, under the (fake) wood trim. I also vac'd the cabin air intake vents under the hood, about half were clogged with leaf debris.

sonnyc
Car: '99 Pathfinder SE

My 99 didn't come with one and after 15 years of ownership, I finally installed them LOL...

Here's are some pics that hopefully could help someone where to cut. The glovebox removal steps are the same as the first post.

I used a utility knife and just slide through the plastic. It was pretty easy

Also cut through the middle notch too

Clean the edges and slide in the filters. Then install the clip that came with the filter at the bottom to hold them in place.

macross2064

The 1999 Nissan Pathfinder XE does not have In-Cabin air filters. I just removed the glove compartment and found where they should be. There is a black box with a fan, but the black box is sealed. It looks to be a sealed unit with filter probably enclosed inside. Really sucked to remove all that stuff and broke a tab just to find out that there is nothing to replace.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

macross2064 wrote:It looks to be a sealed unit with filter probably enclosed inside. Really sucked to remove all that stuff and broke a tab just to find out that there is nothing to replace.
Read the entire thread carefully.
If there are no factory installed air filters, then the box is sealed, just like you found it.
There are no hidden filters enclosed inside.
You can install filters, but first you have to cut the slots open in the black box (see pics in other posts in this thread).
It's actually quite simple (I've done it), and the filters slide in nice and easy.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”