How To Install Lowering Springs

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

Skim302 wrote:I just got my springs in yesterday and I was calling places today to see if anyone could install them because I dont have the spring compressor. I called 3 places and everyone of them said they dont do springs. One of them said that they dont do it because lowering springs are illegal in Delaware and when I go to the DOT they will get me for it. I dont believe them because when I put my new rims on it made the car sit higher so putting the lowering springs on it is only going to return it to stock height. Is it true?
The car wouldn't sit higher, the rims are bigger but the tire sidewall is shorter so it would compensate for the stock height. You could spray paint them black and they wouldn't know the difference, just a thought. Why is it illegal in Delaware?

lovesaga

Mile High Versa wrote:The car wouldn't sit higher, the rims are bigger but the tire sidewall is shorter so it would compensate for the stock height. You could spray paint them black and they wouldn't know the difference, just a thought. Why is it illegal in Delaware?
Any modification of the car is illegal pretty much.

The police can write you a ticket for illegal suspension, exhaust, tint, etc.

Of course there are standards to this such as

at a percentage of tint its illegal

no exhaust illegal no cat convert illegal smog laws

exhaust too loud illegal noise violation

suspension lowered illegal fault equipment

superskunk
Car: '07 Super Black Versa S Hatch,'06 Super Black Murano SL

i say move... if only it were that easy

VersaMG08
'14 Nissan 370z

Just move to Wyoming, no vehicle codes that I know of. There's no emissions tests or any garbage like that, plus you would probably be the only V on the street there, lol...

xtwoonamatchx
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

im in MD... and there are plenty of places that will install springs. I dont know of any personally... but so many people have them done around here.

Codelicious
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx

When the springs are installed are they noisy going over bumps and all that or does it sound just like it does with the stock springs?

bulld0g
Car: 2007 Versa SL " Bulld0g Edition "

I don't have any more noise then the stock ones did, maybe even less

jgreenage
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

Try going to Scotty Muffler in Dover to get them installed. I have a friend that has gotten his installed there.

VersaMG08
'14 Nissan 370z

I got my Tanabe's installed today. Ride is much better than stock springs, steering is more responsive, ride is a bit stiffer but not noticable. I can make sharper turns without the car leaning as much. Braking doesn't dip forward either. I saved my stock springs just in case I need them. Overall, recommended upgrade!

NODES
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL (Blue)

you make it look so easy

V-Man

Very nice write up. A word of caution, please be careful using the spring/strut compressors. Once compressed, they are under a lot of stress. If they slip off one of the ends, they can cause a lot of damage, specially to your face.

Wandr3r
Car: 2009 Versa SL

I HATE lowering springs on stock struts, so I ordered the tanabe Coilovers, I will post a step by step in this thread, btw you did an awesome walkthrough for all the noobs

wassimeh

Wandr3r wrote:I HATE lowering springs on stock struts, so I ordered the tanabe Coilovers, I will post a step by step in this thread, btw you did an awesome walkthrough for all the noobs
I hope you do this with pictures and complete explanation for myself being a n00b ^^ can't wait until you write this up for tanabe Coilovers.

KGibbons
Car: 2008 nissan versa sport(canadian)

Thanks for the write up

They Call Me Whatshisname
Car: 2006 350Z

5 and a half hours... 4 for the front ones. Used compressors like the ones in the pictures but they didnt work so I used a different one. OMG. But very nice write up.

2drsentra

What is the easiest way to get the back upper strut bolt? The one under the cowl, that you can't see. I removed the oval plug like stated in the thread. Couldnt see jack crap. What a PITA.

After removing the hood, I tried to use a 12mm socket, 1/4in ratchet, swivel and extension. No luck. Unless I remove the entire cowl top, hood, wipers, etc. Is there any easier way?

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

search on YouTube. I did a video install of how to do it. cowl top should be removed, but not the hood.

future_stx_cube
Car: 2011 metallic blue versa s hatchback

(imo, just fyi, omg im super sarcastic and only tease online and in real life. if you take offense take deep breathes and relax im just joking!)

great write up.. any close up pix of how to get to the front struts? i read somewhere that you had to take off the whole wiper cowl to get there.. id rather not do that..

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”