How to install HID's through the wheel well. (DIY w/pics)

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
toronto07altima
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

generic808 wrote:I don't have pics right now but I'll try to get some up. My kit doesn't have any glare like some do. It really does look factory, actually, better than factory.
Hey Generic808,

I'm new to the forum and I apologize if this has been asked a million times already.

Where did you get your HID kit and how much did you get it for? I've been looking on ebay and can't seem to find it. I'm in Toronto, Canada and would like to get these for my car.

Do you know if others in this forum have installed the same kit as you did? Did they also have the same success? I read one guy was having problems, but I think he got it resolved.

Thanks for your help man.

generic808
Car: 08 Infiniti G35S
10 Infiniti EX35

I got mine from a local distributor for $120 I believe (forgot already), but I know someone was selling them on ebay for less than $100. The only problem I had--which a lot of people with aftermarket kits do--was the wiring. It was reversed so I just soldered it correctly. I have a friend who got the same kit with no problems at all. It should be a plug-and-play deal but I guess I just had bad luck. It wasn't a big deal though.

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

I just ordered the Xentec ones on ebay... 75 each delivered... PURE PLUG n PLAY... no switching required

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

Hopefully. You never know with these cheap kits, really. It's no big deal if it is backwards anyway because it's a simple fix. Good luck with your installation.

BTW what temp did you get? 5000K I hope.

toronto07altima

generic808 wrote:I got mine from a local distributor for $120 I believe (forgot already), but I know someone was selling them on ebay for less than $100. The only problem I had--which a lot of people with aftermarket kits do--was the wiring. It was reversed so I just soldered it correctly. I have a friend who got the same kit with no problems at all. It should be a plug-and-play deal but I guess I just had bad luck. It wasn't a big deal though.
Thanks for the reply guys.

Generic808, so you had to switch the wires but your friend bought the same kit and didn't have to? I have a bid on ebay right now for the same kit that you purchased (5000K). How did you know that the wires had to be switched around? I'm just wondering if I'm going to have do some trial and error, or is there a way to tell that the wires are good, or if they need to be switched around.

Also, can you recommend the propper fog lamp bulbs that will look good with the 5000K's? I read on this forum that some H11 bulbs will ruin the lens. Which bulb do you recommend that is almost the same colour as the 5000K that won't damage my lens?

Thanks again for your great DIY post and support.

A.

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

It all depends on the harness supplied with your kit. Mine wouldn't allow me to connect to my factory harness because of a clip blocking the way. I guess I could've shaved off that clip, and ended up taping the harness together, but I wanted to do it right. I just reversed the orientation of the harness and soldered the wires back. It's no big deal, took me less than 10 minutes.

Your fogs are H11 bulbs. If you go with HID h11's, it will not melt your lens or housing. I believe you probably read one of my previous posts where I mentioned that my gf had 65 watt halogen bulbs in her car and her lens melted a little. True HID kits run at 35 watts I believe, so you won't have to worry about heat. When you go with high-wattage aftermarket halogens, then it's a gamble.

toronto07altima

Has anyone in this forum installed higher wattage halogen fog lamp bulbs to replace the existing dull ones? I don't want to put in these bulbs if they are going to cause problems. Please let me know.

Thanks.

Oside3.5
Car: '08 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Coupe Winter Frost

zerodeefex wrote:don't want to resurrect this old thread for no reason, but I was wondering if anyone had any pics of their HID aftermarket drop in kit from 25+ feet away at oncoming driver height? What I'm worried about is that without projectors the cutoff isn't really there for these aftermarket kits and there will be horrible glare for oncoming traffic.
Here ya go Zero, I have the xenonlink.com HID kit 6000K. Very nice kit; ballast are robust and have built-in ignitors, only downside is that they don't include the female connector which mates with the OEM harness. I love the light output, diamond white with a subtle hint of blue...though you can't tell from the front windshield view. All I can say is its a HUGE difference from stock, yet still has that OEM look.

stefanenyce808
Car: 2006 Nissan Pathfinder, 2008 Altima SL

Hello, I have been trying to locate this setup you have on you car, but unable to find it. Where did you pick up your set and how much does it usually go for? Thanks and advance.

vi3t89
Car: NISSAN ALTIMA 2.5s

hahaha generic808 you were right the lights were easy to install well not for me lol took me about 2 and a half hours to figure it out in the freezing cold but i got it done !! ill post pics later im running the 6000k McCulloch kit and boy it looks nice

mikemart
Car: Silver Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT. Author of the greatest post ever.

vi3t89,

Just curious about where you chose to mount your ballasts? Did you see where I mounted mine?

They are sweet, aren't they?

vi3t89
Car: NISSAN ALTIMA 2.5s

lols i saw your pictures i put them exactly where you put them easiest spot and oh yeah their sweet worth every dollar i spent

ducz24
Car: 02 Altima

good write up

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

Hey guys i just got my xentec today.. i ordered 2, they sent 1... ill wait till the other gets here to do the install with the fogs and eyelids

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

Good luck with the installation. You're going to love it when you "see the light" (pun intended)

Absolute Zero
Car: '08 Altima Coupe

I have my HID kit arriving tomorrow (Apexcone 35watt 6000k) and I wanted to know from you guys that already have them, I know it isn't good to turn your lights on and off quickly and repeatedly (I had the Apexcone 55watt 4500k kit installed on my Mazda6), so could you cover up the light sensor for the auto lights with electrical tape so that the auto position is now always on? I've seen a thread about it before, but I don't even know what the search criteria would be. Thanks

Absolute Zero

*bump

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

Why don't you just do it the old fashioned way by turning it on and off manually? That's what I do.

BlackNWhite
Car: 08 Altima Coupe

^I think it's because the AUTO comes before the ON portion on the stalk. So when you're OFF and want to move from on... you gotta pass the 'auto' on the stalk. So for the split second you pass 'auto' the lights will turn on then turn off when you move from there. I think that's his point.

Anyways... on a better note... I GOT MY HIDs today. They were sitting on my porch when I got home. You're right Generic... The ballasts look like they SHOULD last a gooooood while.

Hopefully will install Sunday. It's raining all week and I don't have the garage space to do this. Looks very straight forward.

Absolute Zero

BlackNWhite wrote:^I think it's because the AUTO comes before the ON portion on the stalk. So when you're OFF and want to move from on... you gotta pass the 'auto' on the stalk. So for the split second you pass 'auto' the lights will turn on then turn off when you move from there. I think that's his point.
Exactly my point, someone please chime in if they have a cure.

Also, congrats on getting your hids in... mine were supposed to be in today, but now won't be in until Friday

BlackNWhite

Absolute Zero wrote:
Exactly my point, someone please chime in if they have a cure.
I don't know... I was thinking about your 'fix'... and it seems to be the cure but electrical tape over the sensors just seems ghetto. Is this the same setup the 3.5's that come with HIDs have? Maybe us 2.5'ers can get a different stalk?

zerodeefex
Car: 2007 Super Black Altima Hybrid

looks clean!

Absolute Zero

BlackNWhite wrote:I don't know... I was thinking about your 'fix'... and it seems to be the cure but electrical tape over the sensors just seems ghetto. Is this the same setup the 3.5's that come with HIDs have? Maybe us 2.5'ers can get a different stalk?
I feel the same way about the electrical tape... I was hoping that someone would have something by now. A new stalk seems like it would be kinda pricey and a little too involved. Is the sensor directly in front of the passenger seat on the dash near the windshield? I haven't looked, but that is were most of them are.

BTW, nice car BlackNWhite... looks vaguely familiar

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

BlackNWhite wrote:^I think it's because the AUTO comes before the ON portion on the stalk. So when you're OFF and want to move from on... you gotta pass the 'auto' on the stalk. So for the split second you pass 'auto' the lights will turn on then turn off when you move from there. I think that's his point.

Anyways... on a better note... I GOT MY HIDs today. They were sitting on my porch when I got home. You're right Generic... The ballasts look like they SHOULD last a gooooood while.

Hopefully will install Sunday. It's raining all week and I don't have the garage space to do this. Looks very straight forward.
Mine is on "off" all the time. When I turn it on, I just click it to "auto" and that's it. No problems having to pass auto to get to on.

BlackNWhite

generic808 wrote:
Mine is on "off" all the time. When I turn it on, I just click it to "auto" and that's it. No problems having to pass auto to get to on.
Sometimes auto doesn't work too well. Like all this week it's been raining like crazy in So Cal and I always have my lights on 'auto'. When I started my car today on 'auto'... they lights weren't on. So I had to go to the 'on' position. Guess it wasn't gloomy enough for the lights to turn on.

BlackNWhite

Sorry for the double post... but Generic... I was looking at my HID's today and under one of the ballasts there is a little baggy with two yellow fuses that have 20 imprinted on them, 2 nuts and 2 bolts. What am I supposed to do with these?

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

BlackNWhite wrote:Sorry for the double post... but Generic... I was looking at my HID's today and under one of the ballasts there is a little baggy with two yellow fuses that have 20 imprinted on them, 2 nuts and 2 bolts. What am I supposed to do with these?
Absolutely nothing. Well, you could drill a hole through it and wear it on your neck like a charm Your factory fuse will do just fine.

toronto07altima

wrigler31 wrote:Is this what you mean? With the clip now facing the inside?

It seems to fit fine. I've done that earlier when I was toying around with the wire, but the Xlight still didn't work. So it's this end (the harness connecting to the ballast) that give us problem, not the other end??? Thanks generic for keeping up with this frustration!
Hi guys,

I just got my X light kit delivered today. I want to make sure that the wires in my kit are good to go, or do I need to switch them around like Generic808 did. If the male end plugs into the ballast facing inside like the pic above, do I still need to cut the wires on the female end and switch them around? And just to be certain, the female end plugs into the factory harness right?

I know this thread is getting beat to death.

Thanks for your help.

A.

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

I can't remember which way by looking at the pics. Best way would be for you to check your factory harness and see if the postive and negative wires are lined up correctly.

BlackNWhite

Mine connects with that clip on the bottom. Is something wrong with mine?

Haven't installed yet, rain sucks.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”