How to install HID's through the wheel well. (DIY w/pics)

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
SHIFT_2.5S
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S

I am now desperately looking for a good HID kit. The guy on eBay (MCMotoring) is no longer selling X-Lights so I'm out of luck in that department. I did find some German Helligkeit HIDs for the same price, but they only come in 6000K or 4300K. If I'm going to get that kit, which should I get - 6000 or 4300? I want bright, white light.

Or perhaps someone can point me in the right direction for good HIDs (under $100). Thanks.

Found XenTec 5000K on Amazon for $140 shipped. How good are those?

EDIT: Found XenTec on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

Seller has them for $75 shipped but he called them XenTech, not XenTec.

generic808
Car: 08 Infiniti G35S
10 Infiniti EX35

Robert ended up with the xentec. I know a guy who had xentec's on his car and he never had any complaints about them. And I'd personally go with 5000K because it does look factory. If I had to choose between only the 4300K and 6000K, I'd go 4300K.

SHIFT_2.5S

generic808 wrote:Robert ended up with the xentec. I know a guy who had xentec's on his car and he never had any complaints about them. And I'd personally go with 5000K because it does look factory. If I had to choose between only the 4300K and 6000K, I'd go 4300K.
I found some 5000K H11 XenTec on Amazon for $140 shipped. Now I just need to know that these are reliable before I actually place my order. Don't want to spend $140 and then regret it later on.

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

Why not just order them from ebay for around half the price? If they suck, just order a different $75 set. I'm sure they won't be that bad though. Robert had no problems and I know a guy who never complained about them.

SHIFT_2.5S

generic808 wrote:Why not just order them from ebay for around half the price? If they suck, just order a different $75 set. I'm sure they won't be that bad though. Robert had no problems and I know a guy who never complained about them.
I found a set on eBay from this guy:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

The problem is that his description has them misspelled as "XenTech." Furthermore, he says many different types of HIDs and they all have that XenTec picture, even though they're clearly not the XenTec brand. I'm just very skeptical of spending $75 and getting poor quality. At least when I spend $140 on Amazon, I know that I am getting true XenTec.

wrigler31

After hell week of final exams, I was able to have some free time to install the Xlight HID once and for all. To make sure that the set wasn't defected, I had an auto shop mechanic run a battery through the set, and bam... it lit up brilliantly. So I figured that it was the connection that somehow didn't make the proper contact. Listening to eric's advice, I noticed that the prongs in the female end of the Xlight harness were loose, so I taped up that sucker pretty good with electrical tape so that it wouldn't move around. Surprisingly, that resolved the problem! The XLight HID now work like a charm, and 5000K is exactly the color I was looking for! Thanks guys!

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

Im a little confused... will all HID installs need this "tape" or mod to make it fit properly? or is this on certain kits?

SHIFT_2.5S

LongBeachCoupe wrote:Im a little confused... will all HID installs need this "tape" or mod to make it fit properly? or is this on certain kits?
Only some because of their pre-wiring.

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

LongBeachCoupe wrote:Im a little confused... will all HID installs need this "tape" or mod to make it fit properly? or is this on certain kits?
No, it just depends on the kit I guess. I read a lot about guys having reversed wiring on their kits. Unfortunately, mine were too, but it's a simple fix.

Wrigler, glad you finally got it up and running. Now tell me the 5000K isn't sweet? I honestly do think they are THE nicest color HID's out. You'll find yourself constantly comparing your car to others on the road. And when you get the time, line up next to a factory HID car and tell me yours aren't better looking.

rjdmmfl1
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe, Radiant Silver, 3.5SE, Premium Package, VDC

generic808 wrote:
No, it just depends on the kit I guess. I read a lot about guys having reversed wiring on their kits. Unfortunately, mine were too, but it's a simple fix.

Wrigler, glad you finally got it up and running. Now tell me the 5000K isn't sweet? I honestly do think they are THE nicest color HID's out. You'll find yourself constantly comparing your car to others on the road. And when you get the time, line up next to a factory HID car and tell me yours aren't better looking.
One thing I've realized, although the 5000K is beautiful, I have seen situations where it doesn't perform up to par. In regards to pavements, a lot of the newer pavements are a very deep black color. The 5000K color reflects beautifully off of road markers, the white paint in the road, pretty much anything with a hint of white color.In this regards, it surpasses factory HID. However, I've noticed that the 5000K color does not reflect as well off of deep black pavements as it does off of pavements that are more grey, i.e. older pavements that have been run down.

This was very apparent the other day. While driving in the rain in my wife's sedan, she actually asked me "are the [car] lights on?".. It was really that bad!! Then we hit a spot of old pavement, and it lit up like a christmas tree.

I know you guys think I'm off my rockers, but it is something that is pretty obvious to me when traveling on a new. black pavement road with no side markers and no street lights.

Just my .02

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

I guess that's where fogs would come in handy. I did notice that too, but then again, even halogens wouldn't light up the black very well either. Robert, do your factory HID's light up the black better than the aftermarkets?

rjdmmfl1

that's the thing, they actually do seem to light up dark pavements better. The factory HID's are not as white as the 5000k HID's, I think they[factory] may be somewhere around 4300K, but I'm not quite sure on that. Once again, when it comes to reflecting off of anything with a hint of white in it, the aftermarket HID's win... hands down IMHO. But, they just don't seem to perform as well on new pavements. Again, I'm in no way downing the aftermarket HID's, it's just something I noticed!

SHIFT_2.5S

Certainly certain surfaces affect the headlights' ability to reflect light, but at this point, I believe that anything is better than the stock halogen bulbs. Perhaps I'm just desperate.

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

Yeah, you've seemed pretty desperate this past month or so I was just talking to a friend in LA today and she reminded me that I haven't been out there in months. I usually visit at least every other month, but I've been pretty busy as of late so I haven't made it out recently. I may be heading out there in jan or feb, so if you don't have them by then, I can always install them for you. I stay in the mid-Wilshire area; 6th and Harvard to be exact. I'll let you know if it gets finalized.

SHIFT_2.5S

That would be great Eric! I just need to actually settle on a kit and buy it. Right now, I'm leaning towards the $140 XenTec.

wrigler31

generic808 wrote:
In my opinion, 5000K is the optimal color temp, maybe that's the reason why the factory OEM is 4300K, which is pretty close to this range. As a matter of fact, I have a picture of my brother's 350Z and my AC side by side. In the picture, his xenon (on the left) and my HID (on the right) look almost identical. But I can tell you mine put out more lumen, thus brighter light than his. Of course my brother says that was

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

They seem pretty close, but yours do seem a little brighter. Maybe he's just jealous Glad you're happy after all you went through.

BTW, hope you don't mind me shrinking the pic for you. It was originally 2816x2112

Oside3.5
Car: '08 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Coupe Winter Frost

Maybe we can sticky this or add it under the bulb section?

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

Oside3.5 wrote:Maybe we can sticky this or add it under the bulb section?
For now, it's a permanent fixture in the how-to section of altimacoupe.com: http://www.altimacoupe.com/

SHIFT_COUPE
Car: 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD

Anything that we do and we have done or anything important is also in the "Table of Contents" thread

zerodeefex
Car: 2007 Super Black Altima Hybrid

don't want to resurrect this old thread for no reason, but I was wondering if anyone had any pics of their HID aftermarket drop in kit from 25+ feet away at oncoming driver height? What I'm worried about is that without projectors the cutoff isn't really there for these aftermarket kits and there will be horrible glare for oncoming traffic.

LongBeachCoupe
2005 Lexus RX

I was worried about that too... thats why im gonna get eyelids off ebay... it will control the spray of the light.

Oside3.5
Car: '08 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Coupe Winter Frost

zerodeefex wrote:don't want to resurrect this old thread for no reason, but I was wondering if anyone had any pics of their HID aftermarket drop in kit from 25+ feet away at oncoming driver height? What I'm worried about is that without projectors the cutoff isn't really there for these aftermarket kits and there will be horrible glare for oncoming traffic.
I'll take some pics of my setup after I get off of work tonight Zero, from that distance.

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

I don't have pics right now but I'll try to get some up. My kit doesn't have any glare like some do. It really does look factory, actually, better than factory.

LongBeachCoupe
2005 Lexus RX

Which of the EBAY 'cheap' HID sets were PLUG-PLAY... no splicing or switching required?my local guy wont match the prices.

zerodeefex

generic808 wrote:I don't have pics right now but I'll try to get some up. My kit doesn't have any glare like some do. It really does look factory, actually, better than factory.
Thanks for the write-up, btw. I really like your detailed steps! I'll look into your X-lite kit. Does the altima have some kind of cut-off to prevent glare? I don't know how you avoid it without that.

zerodeefex

skiski329 wrote:BAD DEAL i got a 2 ton jack and 2 2ton stand from NAPPA for $35.00.
The $50 kit from autozone actually comes with 2-ton floor jack, jack stands, chocks, creeper and wheel lug wrenches. Not bad for $50!

rjdmmfl1

LongBeachCoupe wrote:Which of the EBAY 'cheap' HID sets were PLUG-PLAY... no splicing or switching required?my local guy wont match the prices.
LBC,

the Xentek HID kit was plug and play! like these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

zerodeefex wrote:
The $50 kit from autozone actually comes with 2-ton floor jack, jack stands, chocks, creeper and wheel lug wrenches. Not bad for $50!
zerodeefex wrote:

Does that come with a cup of coffee too?

zerodeefex

generic808 wrote:
zerodeefex wrote:

Does that come with a cup of coffee too?
and a pat on the rump. And, if you order in the next two hours, they'll throw in a free silicone oven mitt!

Return to “Altima General Discussions”