How to install HID's through the wheel well. (DIY w/pics)

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
alticoupe3.5
Car: NISSAN ALTIMA COUPE

i got an 3.5cvt altima coupe and i want to install HIDs replacing the fog lights on the bottom. i have stock xenons in my headlights as well. should i just replace both sets of lights with HIDs? what would you suggest for the lights? also, do i install the fogs the same way i would if i installed lights in my head lights (just like the DIY)?

jharold
Car: 08 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S

If i already had xenons then i wouldn't go through all the mess of changing them to an aftermarket HID, but thats just me, i pulled up to an altima 3.5 with stock xenon and i couldnt tell the difference from mine and theirs and about the foglights, yea i would put the HIDs on them, but i havent installed them on mine yet b/c it didnt come with fog lights and i just havnt took the time to wire some up, search ebay for good foglights they are good links there.

fyrcomm
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT
2014 BMW 435i M Sport

just installed xentec 6000Ks... didn't even touch the install guide.. just read this thread! thanks everyone who helped out with this how-to!

imdavit
Car: 08' Radiant Silver Altima Coupe 2.5s

where did u get your xentecs ? amazon? and for how much?

cuz i cant find em for cheap on ebay anymoree

phobs

you can get them on eBay. I got a good quality 3000k kit for fog lights or headlights if you're interested.

hellonaltima
Car: 2009 altima sedan 2.5 SL package RED BRICK

how can i connect my hids ? i have the kit ... i have the box with the bulb cable connected to it and an extra cable ... what is that 1 for ? it has a connector on the end look like the 1 cable for the light bulb on the car and end in 2 cables..... i dont know how to upload pics here or i would

thanks

william

ps: 09 altima 2.5sl and im not sure how to do it

hellonaltima

here is one side of the kit i have

jharold

This looks like the same set up as i had, and if yours is like mine the instructions suck!! Im not no expert on this so i may be wrong but i think that the other cable is for a relay... I couldnt really figure out on my kit the best way to hook up the relay for them so i just ran them without the relay. It works, it has worked for about four months now, no problems. Just hook up your power wire and your box and test it out and see if it works. that worked for me. I still dont have what looks to be the "extra wire" hooked up. I guess do this at your own risk. its a little bit of work to get in there to this stuff so try to figure out what you want to do before you get in there. If you plan on running the relay then you would prob want to take the front bumper off. if not then def go thru the wheel well.just my opinion and im no expert but it worked for me.

l8r

hellonaltima

Thank you ... im going to start working on the car some time today ..... im going to do it like you said i just wanted some1 to confirm what my thoughts were lol

jharold

your welcome, yea i know what you mean. it wont take you long i did it in about an hour and a half, but you will do it faster because i spent prob 30 min. trying to figure that relay out let me know how it turns out post some pix too

rennisouth
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S

Wow so you i just bought some 5000k hids and followed all the instructions. Then when I was putting the new bulb into the socket, it wouldnt go in.

The directions said i had to drill a 25mm hole into the back of the socket.

Anyone know anything about this?

schme808
Car: Altima 3.5 SE Dark Slate

Howzit, I have been looking for someone who has a modified Altima here on Oahu. Im new to the thread and i was just wondering where you bought your lights from. I was also interested in putting in some Eibach springs. How do you think they would hold up on oahu roads.

- D

shreqboi909
Car: '98 ej8 R.I.P 07 nissan versa/tiida

i want to know how diff is it to swap out the stock hids for a diff k

or is it the same idea as puttin them on regular headlights

jagr200
Car: 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Let me tell you this installation is far from fast. It took me 2 hours on my passenger side because of the freakin washer fluid tank. But the driver side only took 25 mins. Overall it was an okay installation. Not for someone who is not very mechanical thats for sure.

Oh and mcmotoring on eBay is now selling the X-Light kits again. They are great quality and mcmotoring is a great company to deal with. VERY fast shipping and only $65 per kit shipped UPS 2 day from China.
Modified by jagr200 at 10:23 PM 4/14/2009

jharold

you just cant over think these things, most stuff like this is simple if you dont overthink it

jagr200

jharold wrote:you just cant over think these things, most stuff like this is simple if you dont overthink it
Man I wish I was over thinking it. On the 06 there is literally no room to work. I removed the coolant overflow and could hardly get the dust cap off. Its that tight of a squeeze. Once I got it out it wasn't all that bad. But I did forget to mention that I did fogs and lows at the same time. So I guess thats why it took 2 hours. Fogs were only like 30mins thou.

rtcpenguin
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 3.5SE

Has anyone had any issues long after installing HIDs using the stock harness? My buddy is concerned that the stock wiring may not be large enough in gauge to support the current draw of an aftermarket HID ballast and could fry the stock wiring (6+ months down the road). Any thoughts? Do the stock Nissan HIDs use the same harness as the non-HID model?

Also, has anyone used an aftermarket projector housing? If so, what kind/brand?

Silver_Phantom
Car: 2007 Altima 3.5SE

Can I use these same steps to install 3k HIDs in my fogs?

jagr200

Silver_Phantom wrote:Can I use these same steps to install 3k HIDs in my fogs?
You bet you can. Although it is not really necessary as the fogs are very accessible without removing anything. It is alittle easier though if you do.

alma_cpe8
Car: 2008 Black Altima Coupe

wish i had read this diy prior to me installing my hids, wouldve made it soo much easier. but i got a quick question, after i did the install i noticed that my interior lights are very dim with the hids on i.e dash cluster, htr/ac controls and headunit. if i have my lights off then i got no problem but with them on for some reason the interior lights are very dim. any ideas guys as to what may be causing the problem?? thx

ClubFed11
Car: 2009 2.5S Altima Sedan

i used this guide to install my hids, worked great, simple, clean, easy. thanks a lot!

xkursion
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 2.5S Black/Black

Hey all,

Just installed my 6k HIDs yesterday. They look great! The plug off the ballast that I got didn't plug fully into the factory harness like it should have so I had to use the socket to prong adapter things they gave me in the kit (sorry for the vague description). These are just put into the factory connectors and then secured in place using zip ties and electrical tape and some shrink tube. They seem pretty sturdy, so I'm fine with that part.

THE Question:I'm not running a relay harness and have no problems with my auto-headlight function. My worry is doing something to my factory wiring harness. From what I've read, HIDs don't generally draw as much power as comparable "superbright" halogens, but has anyone had any bad experiences with this? Or am I in the clear? I don't want to end up with a molten pile of goo that used to be my headlight wiring harness.

Thx

mcsniper703
Car: 2009 Altima Base Black

From what I heard if there no relay harness it would actually damage the stocking wiring system but it a temporary fix. It best to run the hid harness relay wire to be safe.

CroatianMKM
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima coupe 2.5S

great write up bro! :dblthumb: :mike

it made it so easy to install the HIDs

Revans
Car: 2009 Nissan altima

Nice idea, I thought I was gonna have to take front bumper off. This was wayyyyy easier thx for the post

lecros101
Car: 2010 A/C 2.5s CVT

Has anyone had any trouble getting the wheel well back into place? putting all of the clips and screws back in properly..

lecros101
Car: 2010 A/C 2.5s CVT

Haha thats what I tried to tell my dad. He is bit@@ing me out saying its a pain. and nothing will go back correctly

gameguru1360
Car: 2009 altima 2.5s 4dr sedan, metallic silver

is it worth it to get HIDs for high beams or is the output for low beams and/or with HID fog lights good enough??

Does anyone use HID simulators for high beam bulbs??

jimboteque
Car: 2007 Altima 3.5 SE CVT

Gameguru, honestly I wouldn't worry about it. HID lows put out plently of light and you can still pop on your factory highs when you need to. Only advantage to HID highs is that without them the colors won't match. This really only matters when you are showing off your car. So if you ARE impressing the ladies with it, don't turn on your high beams.

marcopolo24

Hey i switched my halogen bulbs without removing the wheel, it true not much space but just enough, I did it in under 1hr prob about 30-40 min, any one want me to make a vid because I might be changing the bulbs again, I know it's a late reply and there probably are vids already

Return to “Altima General Discussions”