How to install HID's through the wheel well. (DIY w/pics)

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
toronto07altima
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

BlackNWhite wrote:Mine connects with that clip on the bottom. Is something wrong with mine?

Haven't installed yet, rain sucks.
BackNWhite, does your kit have a larger retainer and a smaller retainer on the ballast or are both retaining clips the same size? I'm sure male end will fit both ways, I'm trying to figure out which is the right way myself. Let me know if you figure this out.

Thanks,

A.
Modified by toronto07altima at 11:53 AM 1/26/2008

generic808
Car: 08 Infiniti G35S
10 Infiniti EX35

Exactly how the kit comes is exactly how you install it. It's a plug and play deal so there shouldn't be a problem. I was just unfortunate to get a backward model, but like I said before, I think it was just a random thing. Take a look at your factory harnesses and you'll know what I'm talking about. It's a very simple install.

toronto07altima

The factory harness will tell me which way to plug it into the factory harness, but what about the wire that plugs into the ballast. Mine will fit both ways in the ballast. How do I know which way to fit it?

BlackNWhite
Car: 08 Altima Coupe

Mine clips the opposite of what is shown on that pic. It also only connects one way. The other way it doesn't fully connect.

BlackNWhite

generic808 wrote:
Remove stock bulb by disconnecting harness and twisting counter-clockwise, making sure NOT to touch the bulb in case you need to use it again.
Quick question. I'm in the middle of doing this... how do you remove the old bulb from the harness?

BlackNWhite

I figured it out... FINALLY my HID's are installed. They are beeee-UT-eeee-FOOOOOOOOOL.

When I started the skies were clear... as I finished putting the last zip tie on my ballast and stood up to look at my beauty the rain gods couldn't wait any more and let go. It was timed perfectly. I still needed to put some clips on the wheel well and I guess the rain gods heard me because they suddenly stopped. I threw all the clips in there real quick and did my magic with the screws under the car and all is done.

They look just like I wanted. I'm so happy.

toronto07altima

Congrats man. Did you have to make any mods to the kit or was it pure plug and play?

BlackNWhite

toronto07altima wrote:Congrats man. Did you have to make any mods to the kit or was it pure plug and play?
Nope, purely plug and play. I did have to remove those yellow spacer squishy things that Generic talked about before in this thread. Everything else connected rather smoothly and I was up and running in no time.

Doing the connections and everything is quick... finding a spot and securing the ballasts is what takes forever.

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

Congrats on the install! Don't you just love it?! I've had mine in for quite some time now with no problems whatsoever. I believe the X-Light is a very good quality kit which will last for a long time...hopefully

Where did you end up mounting the ballasts? Did you use the frame like I did or did you use the wheel lining?

BlackNWhite

Yea, I mounted it at the same spots you did. I didn't think I could get my drill in the tiny space I had... I didn't take off the wheels.

The driver's side was easy, the passenger side was a ***** though. The coolant tank is in the way so I mounted it on the underside of that same metal bar.

So I didn't drive my car last night because it was raining... today when I moved it, the, "Check Engine Soon" light came is on and my windows don't do auto up anymore. I know you can reset the auto up, I just have to search for it... but what about the light?

spike228
Car: 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5s

Wow I wished it was that easy for the 3rd gen. We had to take off the front bumper and take out the head lights to get the thing installed.

Nice write up!

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

Your "check engine" came on? Hmm...that shouldn't have happened no matter which way you look at it. Installing the HID's is just like changing the headlight bulbs, so I don't see how that triggered? Did you have the battery disconnected throughout the installation?

BlackNWhite

Yes... I don't understand it either. I disconnected and re-connected the battery numerous times throughout the install as I was making sure the lights worked and what not before closing everything back up again and when I had to turn the wheels in the opposite direction.

Could that be the reason why?

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

No, that wouldn't be a reason for the dummy light to come on. My battery was disconnected numerous times while I was test firing. Hmm...did you do any recent mods to your car besides the HID?

BlackNWhite

Nope. None at all. I don't remember if the first couple times I reconnected the battery if the check engine light was on...

BlackNWhite

Well my car is fine now. I went out and disconnected it and left it that way for 5 minutes. I reconnected it and no more check engine light.

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

Good to hear!

Absolute Zero
Car: '08 Altima Coupe

Just finished installing my 6000k hids (in 36 degree weather) and I dig em', but anybody who thinks there is a nice cutoff or a cutoff at all with no glare has never seen (or driven) with a nice cutoff. That is the only part that is disappointing to me. I'll post pics later.

thekidzkid25
Car: 91 240sx sr20det, subaru legacy awd

thanx for the post

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

Absolute Zero wrote:Just finished installing my 6000k hids (in 36 degree weather) and I dig em', but anybody who thinks there is a nice cutoff or a cutoff at all with no glare has never seen (or driven) with a nice cutoff. That is the only part that is disappointing to me. I'll post pics later.
I don't think anybody here ever said there was a nice cut-off, but there isn't much of a glare compared to other vehicles. I also installed an aftermarket set on my gf's civic and she has a lot of glare compared to the Altima. I personally wouldn't pay $1K for a stock set-up, so that's how I ended up with this $100 set.

toronto07altima

I installed my X Light kit last night and it looks amazing! 5000K is exactly the colour I wanted! Thanks everyone for the great DIY help and support.

One question, the auto up function on the driver and passenger windows do not work anymore. I don't know if it was broken before I installed the HID's or after. Would removing the battery cause this to break? No big deal, I'll take it to the dealer and have them look after it because its still on warrenty.

Modified by toronto07altima at 12:30 PM 2/3/2008

BlackNWhite

toronto07altima wrote:I installed my X Light kit last night and it looks amazing! 5000K is exactly the colour I wanted! Thanks everyone for the great DIY help and support.

One question, the auto up function on the driver and passenger windows do not work anymore. I don't know if it was broken before I installed the HID's or after. Would removing the battery cause this to break? No big deal, I'll take it to the dealer and have them look after it because its still on warrenty.

Modified by toronto07altima at 12:30 PM 2/3/2008
Dude, don't waste your time at the dealer. For some stupid reason, the auto up feature is disabled when the battery is disconnected.

All you have to do is roll down the window more than half way then roll the window up until it closes but hold the switch in the 'up' position for about 3 seconds or more and it should be working again. Same thing happened to me.

ssjones
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Sedan

Wow, that is great to know. I'm sure to disconnect my battery at some point.
BlackNWhite wrote:Dude, don't waste your time at the dealer. For some stupid reason, the auto up feature is disabled when the battery is disconnected.

All you have to do is roll down the window more than half way then roll the window up until it closes but hold the switch in the 'up' position for about 3 seconds or more and it should be working again. Same thing happened to me.

toronto07altima

Nice, it worked. Thanks man.

rjdmmfl1
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe, Radiant Silver, 3.5SE, Premium Package, VDC

toronto07altima wrote:I installed my X Light kit last night and it looks amazing! 5000K is exactly the colour I wanted! Thanks everyone for the great DIY help and support.

Read your manuals people!!!!! Lots of helpful information about...your car... is in there!

SamC.altimacoupeneedshelp
Car: 2008 Nissan altima coupe 2.5s w/ moonroof, convieince package...i need websites that have the things

Are 8k's good for the low beams on the altima coupe, and what is the difference between H9 and H11????????

Thanks For any help, SAM

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

No. 8000K will be very blue, maybe even closer to purple. Factory HID's are usually 4300K so if you want anything resembling factory, go with 4300 or 5000K. And just to let you know, the higher up the K rating you go, the lower the actual light output. 5000K > 8000K. Because the light will be blue at 8000K, it may seem like you have more light, but in actuality, it is much less than 5000K.

The output of 5000K would be about 3200 lumens versus 2000 lumens of 8000K. 2000 lumes in barely any improvement over halogen bulbs.

H9 is high-beam and H11 is low-beam and fogs.

Car: 2008 Nissan altima coupe 2.5s w/ moonroof, convieince package...i need websites that have the things

Thanks for the help, and i was also wondering how did you lift the car, on two jacks? or did u have a machine raiser or something, also if you don't no much about wiring, could you finish this task simply by following the guide they give you, i mean i really want these lights, but im not willing to pay to get them installed. So basically what is necessary in setting these things up on your on.

just read the name when you wonder why i ask all these questions please tell me if you fell im doing this in a way

generic808
10 Infiniti EX35

Most kits will not come with useful instructions, so just use this guide w/pics that I posted. I jacked up one side at a time, but some have went through the well without jacking, just cranking the wheel all the way to one side. I'm a pretty good sized guy so I felt I needed all the space I could get.

Most kits are plug-and-play so all you will have to do is remove your OEM bulbs, replace with HID bulbs, and plug into the ballasts. The hardest part will be finding a mounting position. I used the frame to mount my ballasts, and some have actually mounted them on the top side of the wheel well.

so basically its a pretty easy procedure, but you need patience, good positioning and a good place to put the ballast, also where did you purchase yours from, if you love them so much maybe i would to

Return to “Altima General Discussions”