HOW TO: Fog Light Mod. Run Foglights Separate From Headlights. Use as DRL's.

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
sc2nr
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE, 1998 Saturn SC2

Ok, Found these... http://cgi.ebay.ca/12-VOLT-4-PIN-SPDT-A ... 2309a6f5f7

Will those ones work?

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

sc2nr wrote:Ok, Found these... http://cgi.ebay.ca/12-VOLT-4-PIN-SPDT-A ... 2309a6f5f7

Will those ones work?
Those look like the Radio Shack relays posted on the first post, and similar to the ones I bought from RS as well. Make sure the pins will actually fit in your car, though! They didn't for my 2001 and I had to modify one factory relay (well, just cut a hole in the blue plastic housing to attach an alligator clip, really) to do this mod.

sc2nr
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE, 1998 Saturn SC2

Those look like the Radio Shack relays posted on the first post, and similar to the ones I bought from RS as well. Make sure the pins will actually fit in your car, though! They didn't for my 2001 and I had to modify one factory relay (well, just cut a hole in the blue plastic housing to attach an alligator clip, really) to do this mod.
The schematic shows for pins and it sorta resembles the configuration from the first post on this thread so, I think I will order them tomorrow, anyone else care to weigh in?

xswamperx
Car: 1998 Pathfinder R-50 SE

Just did mod, Worked flawlessly thx man. :dblthumb:

donald
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 (RIP, 2011)
2010 Pathfinder LE

Just did the mod to make my fog lights run seaparately... but in a completely different fashion.

The method I used was to cut directly into the harness leading up to the fog light relay and re-wired it to my parking lights power-line.

So instead of using relays and the A/C relay to turn on the fogs, I'm able to turn on the fogs with the ignition at "OFF" or "ON", since the fog light relay now triggers off of the parking lights.

Now, the way I did it does pose a little more hassle in that it's not "automated" in anyway. You have to switch your lights to "parking lights - ON" to use your fog lights.

I'll try to post up pictures of what I did in a few days.
I'm one of those spur-of-the-moment mod'ers that did this late at night and was in a rush to go to bed - so neglected todocument anything. But I'll try to make up for that and show the aftermath.

01silvapathy
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 3.5

That actually seems like the best way to do it, id be interested too see pics if you get a chance.

donald
2010 Pathfinder LE

ok - i didn't wanna fart all over this thread, so I created another one that has a different re-wire method. Found here: post5968309.html#p5968309
good luck!

Camelfilter
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder SE
2009 Titan Pro 4X Crew Cab

I did this modification recently. Neat-o!

Here is a picture of my resistor box:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I wired my Fog resistor from pin #2 over to my AC resistor using pin #3.

I used jump wires from the fog resitor pins 3,1,5 over to there respective slots. I left slot 2 empty.

I soldered the jump wire from Fog pin #2 into the AC pin #3.

--I have some extra resistors coming in the mail (ebay inexpensive), so when they arrive I will likely do the modification according to the original post in this thread.

PJSnow
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Ok i went through this whole post and got so lost. So i have an 01 pathfinder and the box does not look like the original post. this is what mine looks like

i bought the same relay as the first post but obviously it didnt fit so now im not sure what to do. this is what the pin pattern looks like for the fog relay and the air con relay looks the same

so i want to do the same thing as in the original post but i dont want to screw up the factory relays. so where can i find this relay and is it the same process as the others? can someone explain what to do or how to do this?

NocturnalQX4

donald wrote:Just did the mod to make my fog lights run seaparately... but in a completely different fashion.

The method I used was to cut directly into the harness leading up to the fog light relay and re-wired it to my parking lights power-line.

So instead of using relays and the A/C relay to turn on the fogs, I'm able to turn on the fogs with the ignition at "OFF" or "ON", since the fog light relay now triggers off of the parking lights.

Now, the way I did it does pose a little more hassle in that it's not "automated" in anyway. You have to switch your lights to "parking lights - ON" to use your fog lights.

I'll try to post up pictures of what I did in a few days.
I'm one of those spur-of-the-moment mod'ers that did this late at night and was in a rush to go to bed - so neglected todocument anything. But I'll try to make up for that and show the aftermath.

Which wire did you cut into on the foglight relay wirepack??

donald
2010 Pathfinder LE

donald wrote:ok - i didn't wanna fart all over this thread, so I created another one that has a different re-wire method. Found here: post5968309.html#p5968309
good luck!
Hey there Nocturnal - go to the above thread :)

The biggest drawback (IMO) is that the way I documented in the above thread is that the driving/fog lights will not turn on unless the ignition switch is turned to "ON". See the last post in the thread by TownCivilian; there is some other wire that needs to be modified to make the driving lights completely independent of headlights and ignition switch.
I didn't change that wire that TownCivilian mentioned as I didn't care too much that driving lights would only be activated with ignition set to "ON". Plus, I'm lazy to pull my steering column off and do more modification :gapteeth:

michaelg47
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45, 1997 Pathfinder, 2013 Accord Coupe

I know I'm late to this party but I have been thinking of doing something like this for a couple of years and stumbled across this mod. A BIG THANKS! I installed it a couple of weeks ago and it's been working great. And as an update Radio Shack has changed the part number for these relays, they are now # 275-0001.

Big Red Rogue
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but am I correct in assuming that the ultimate goal is to change the fog light's power source from its current one, where they are tired into the low beams, to another one that would be active when the car is switched on (A/C or even DRLs) so that they could be operated without the need for the low beams being on, making them actually usable during fog and/or blinding snow?

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”