how to fix your headlight problems

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Drift-Master
Car: Nissan RPS13

So I did this and it still does not work. If I manually turn the headlight down and push the headlight button it works and go's up but they do not retract down. fuses good, i tried unplug and plug motor harness, not sure what else any ideas.

idahotuner
Car: 2012 ram 2500 6.7 cummins, 93 Sileighty and 93 civic hatch, polaris ranger 2011

this worked for me. took all of 5 mins to do.

dsastr_clan
Car: 240sx

hey bro what type of issues were u having with your wipers?? mine are starting to acting up on me how did u fix them is there another white box by the wiper switch?

nothix

This method worked perfect for one of my headlights not lighting up, but a few days later my lights would only pop up, never down. I've done some testing and still have no clue what is wrong.

I followed this guide and I am not getting power to pin 1 on retract relay #3. I'm sure this is my problem, but I don't know what to check next.

I pulled apart my switch and one of the metal tabs on the top. Bent that back, no change.

RB240_NIK
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX with S13 Silvia Front End and RB20DET

thanks man! this worked for me! HIDs are brighter and they actually turn on when i turn the knob! haha :D

CadetLD
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe

Awsome write-up! Just fixed my "one headlight works every random click" problem. Geting the white plastic part off was a bit tricky but all in all it was an easy fix. The points were filthy! Instead of using the dremmel tool, I folded some fine grit sandpaper into a small little strip and gently rubbed the contacts untill they were shiny-clean. Everything works flawlesly now. THANKS Sil_Fourty!

I WE TODD ED
Car: '90 & '91 S13

Very nice write up, had to do this last summer. Saves you like 90 bucks or something.

James4Chelsi
Car: 1992 S13

I've been looking for a solid write up on this. This needs to be added to the stuck links in the main Tech area as we all know this is a issue that effects most early 240's ... link in here is you have the ability...

zeroforum/17

Thx for the write up again.

felton local
Car: 89 coupe, 91 coupe, 93 hatch w. SR20, 91 jetta (idk why), Benzo 560sec

great write up, but i am curious if this will help my problem. my headlights work fine going up and down, and they dont flicker, they both do the exact same thing. whats happening is when i flip the switch to turn them on they pop up but i have no Light. i was able to make a temporary fix by running 1 wire from power to each 15amp fuse for the headlamps. they worked just fine 2 nights ago, last night i was leaving a friends and they didnt work. at the same time my interior acc fuse blew i was able to fix that by replacing the fuse but no other fuses were blown. im going to try a new switch right now.

felton local
Car: 89 coupe, 91 coupe, 93 hatch w. SR20, 91 jetta (idk why), Benzo 560sec

so i just changed out the switch with a known working one. and nothing. still no headlights... err.

Acecool
Car: 1989 240SX Hatch Pig KA24E 126k

Just tried this since fuse blows for headlights.. now nothing works.

-Rep

jtaylor40
Car: 1989 Nissan Maxima

Ok is this the solution to my problem as well?? Both of my headlights work, :confused: BUT :confused: , only one works on bright and only the opposite one works on dim.

Yorb
Car: 1992 Nissan 240SX SE Fastback

Damn, i got all excited hoping this was the solution to my headlights not going down. Cleaned the SHEEIT out of those connectors, and still no change. :( Any other suggestions? They go up fine, but won't go down unless I jump relay posts 3 and 5 on H/L RET DOWN relay (under air box). All fuses look good. Tried swapping the relay with the other 2 black ones in that box. Yes I have the brown wire sleepy mod, but jumpering that wire back together doesn't fix it. I've spent HHHOUUUURS studying the wiring diagrams and trying to figure out what I'm missing.

Any ideas?

420sxWETDREAMS
Car: 1991 240sx Hatchback

im on this tomorrow!

blkvrtswp
Car: 93 240SX Convertible
SR20DET FP 20G Turbo

Bump for a great post.

I had one headlight giving a long delay opening and closing, sometimes 5 minutes. I had what looked looked like very minor corrosion on the contacts, but this procedure fixed it 100%. Now I can use the switches I installed as intended for sleepy eye control instead of just overriding the motors.

xracerx972
Car: 89 240sx

My headlights would not retract. Also, only one headlight bulb worked. This is what I found.

sil_fourty
Car: 93 240sx coupe

you may be able to clean that up and re-use the switch, but I would be very concerned with the wiring harness or plug being melted due to poor contacts.

Sorry I haven't been on here to reply to any of the messages over the years, but I am very happy all of you have found this to be useful.

2thousanddollartypex
Car: 1998 Nissan 180sx SR20DET Blacktop Type X

I did all of this and cleaned the hell out of my contacts.... Headlights still won't go down ffs!!!! :wtf2: anyone got any idea at all??

Lanster
Car: 1990 Nisssn 240sx

Hello all! I did the clean up on my multiswitch with no problems and after popping it back into the steering column I got both lights to light. But then, neither would work on bright setting and the headlights would only open using the dash switch. THEN the passenger side headlight stopped working again. It seems to me there must be a mechanical problem in the switch with the moving parts. Any thoughts? Should I just by a new switch? Thanks!

Dorito_Club7
Car: 1995 Forest Green S14. Bone Stock

Thanks for the insight!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”