How to- exhaust work

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
boro drift
Car: '87 Supra, '92 240 with SR20 and '98 12 valve Cummins

Alright, so the exhaust shop that put the exhaust on my Supra back in 2003, did so with a funky backwards angle on my muffler. After years of looking at it, I decided it was time to modify it.

Tools used, 4.5'' grinder with cut off wheel jack and jackstands lug wrench green 3M tape tape measure something to cut exhaust pipe(hacksaw, exhaust cutter, sawzall) mig welder

Here is the before pic, pointed down and gheyward.

It's hard to see in the cell phone pic, but, the pipe is so close to the gas tank, it burned a hole through the plastic skid plate.

Cut that ish outta there! Leave enough past the rear suspension so you have room to weld to it.

I had a pic of the 3" mandrel elbow I got from Summit, but it got lost somewhere between phone and computer. But here it is cut in half.

Now, use your green tape to tape the halves together. You may have to clean the pipe with brakleen so the tape sticks.

Time for a test fit, little off. Cut and fit until the fitment is good.

I got clever, and used the box the u bend came in for a muffler support.

Now that the elbow fits, cut however much straight pipe you need to reach the muffler.

After you test fit the piece, you can tack it to the muffler. KEEP A CONSTANT EYE ON THE MUFFLER, so it doesn't end up at an angle you don't want! Then, make things easy on yourself and make these 2 welds out of the car.

Now re-align the muffler where you had it before, and tack the opposite end of the elbow onto the rest of the exhust. Also, tack the muffler hanger onto the muffler at this point. Next, peel the tape off and tack the center of the elbow together. Once it's all tacked together, and hangers are in place and tacked, weld it all out.

And if you do a good job, this will be the end result.

A few last tid bits. All the cutting was done with the grinder with a cutoff wheel, and you can also use the green tape to wrap around the pipe for a guide.

Sorry I had no action shots, I was working alone. These techniques can also be used for building full exhausts and headers.

If there are any questions or I left anything out, let me know.

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

So if you are so good at welding, why didn't you do your own exhaust in the first place?

Nice job though. You have the skills to pay the bills.

boro drift

r34 gtr wrote:So if you are so good at welding, why didn't you do your own exhaust in the first place?

Nice job though. You have the skills to pay the bills.
I was still pretty green with welding back in 2003 when I had the exhaust put on, plus I didn't have the tools or place to do it either. But, I did build a full exhaust (minus the dp) for my s13 last year.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Nice work, it looks much better now. I love your Supra. MKIIIs look great in white.

I see some Proxes4s there. How long have you had them? I just got a set on the Q and so far I am not disappointed at all.

boro drift

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Nice work, it looks much better now. I love your Supra. MKIIIs look great in white.

I see some Proxes4s there. How long have you had them? I just got a set on the Q and so far I am not disappointed at all.
Thanks for the complements bro! As far as the Proxes, I've had them for 2 years now. I probably only have 5k miles on them, (nice weather car only!), but they do grip very well. I've gone through some S corners in a local canyon at 110mph with out a problem.

Return to “Others”