HOW-TO: Detail your ride

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
Shizane2002
Car: 1998 Avenger

I love you guys and your warm reception of this DSM bastard child that totally doesnt belong here amongst Nissan/Infinity peoples. So in return, I want to share my personal tips on detailing. Hopefully this helps out for some of you wanting to get your rides looking slick.

***The purpose of this thread is to offer product information, detailing tips and guidance on maintaining your vehicles paint condition and presentation. NOT restoration. If youre seeking guidance on restoring clear coat and paint failure on aged and neglected finishes, check out other options on http://www.google.com.***

Car Care Information

Overall Advice

My experience with Meguiars is what Im satisfied with and what I recommend to people. Of course, detailing, in and of itself, is specific to the detailer. Everyone has their trends, methods, product favorites, and styles that they use when they detail. Ive had nothing but superb performance with Meguiars myself, but you might be different. Try different products out and see what you like best :bigthumb:

In my experience, the best thing to keep your car from losing its finish from the factory is to keep it clean in the first place. Industrial fallout, weather, road grime, dead insects, animal feces, and the suns harsh heat and UV rays are all several major factors that will harm your finish. By performing regular cleaning of your cars' exterior as well as the interior and engine bay, you can save alot of emarrassing heartache later on down the line. Especially if youre a car enthusiast. Theres nothing more humiliating than going to a car show and YOUR car is the only dirty one. Believe it or not, people of all walks of life can respect a clean car and they dont just have to be car enthusiasts. Avoiding bad situations that could get your car dirty is another MAJOR factor to take into effect. Avoid mud, puddles on the road, potholes, staying behind or beside semi-trucks, and gravel to keep your car as clean as possible in the first place.

So in short:

1. Keep it clean.
2. Stay consistent with your cleaning. Dont just clean it twice a year.
3. Avoid bad situations that could get your car dirty.
4. Dont forget that each detailing technique that people have produce different results. Different brands and products have different results for people. There is no set standard for detailing. My steps work well enough for my car. So just consider this more or a listing of advice than a regulation.

CONSUMER PRODUCT LISTING

Listed below are the Consumer Line products I use on my car.

Meguiars Next Generation Tech Wax 2.0: This is the best liquid wax I have ever used. Its results give you a deep color rich look, the best water beading, oxidation, corrosion, UV protection, and shine and gloss appeal. It can be applied by hand, orbital or DA polisher.
Price: $17.99 Classification: Wax – NXT Generation.

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax: This product (QW) is used in between liquid waxing and is best right after a wash. Its designed to support the pre-existing wax layer that’s already on the car. Quik Wax adds a final slightly enhanced and additionally protective layer against daily contaminants. Its sprayed on from a trigger bottle and best wiped off with a micro-fiber towel.
Price: 9.99 Classification: Maintainer – Classic

Meguiars Ultimate Detailer: The UD is applied just like the QW. It’s a trigger bottle spray-on and wipe off with a micro-fiber towel. The use of UD is to clean the surface of the car from streaks, contaminates, and other forms of industrial fallout. It is good to use as a support layer of cleanliness for the follow-on QW spray. Basically, QD is a cleaner. Its designed to enhance wax protection. It can also be applied on aluminum rims for a look of deep and clean luster.
Price: $9.99 Classification: Wax/Protectant – Classic

Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer: This product is excellent for quickly cleaning up your interior from everything that normally get its nasty. Its designed to be a spray and wipe detailer and before you know it you can have your interior looking brilliant with this products natural look and revitalized action. It leaves the vinyl, plastic, ICE equipment, and rubber looking clean and new without a greasy residue.
Price: $6.99 Classification: Interior – Classic

Meguiars Supreme Shine Protectant: SSP takes your interior detailing to new level with its brilliant finish and protection from daily use. Its high shine gives your interior a vibrant and attractive appeal as well as adding UV protection. This product leaves behind a slick residue so caution is advised when using on the steering wheel or door handles. SSP is also an excellent engine bay detailer. The formula spreads itself evenly over a warm engine and adds a bright and shiny look to the bay.
Price: $6.99 Classification: Interior – Classic

Meguiars Ultimate Compound: If you have a finish that has been abused and neglected, this product can be applied by hand or by orbital to restore the finish, revitalize color, and eliminate swirlies and slight scratches. This compound makes restoration very easy. It also gives your cars paint a good foundation to apply wax over.
Price: $9.99 Classification: Clean and Prep

Meguiars Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray: If you want to keep your tires black, deep, protected, and appealing, use this spray gel. You can either spray it on a paper towel and apply it by hand evenly over the side-wall of the tire or you can spray directly on the sidewall. Becareful when you spray directly because the gel particles can get caught up in wind and spray on the surface of your car. This product is also good to use on your wheel wells and suspension components to keep them dark and clean looking.
Price: $8.99 Classification: Wheel and Tire - Classic

PROFESSIONAL LINE PRODUCTS*:

- Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze – This is a super shine glaze.
- Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant – This is a synthetic wax.
- Meguiars #26 High Tech Yellow Wax – This is a carnuba based wax.
- Meguiars #40 Vinyl and Rubber Conditioner/Cleaner – This is an interior panel cleaner and detailer.
- Meguiars #66 Quick Detailer – This is a wax touch-up mist and wipe.

*Im just now starting to use the professional line products and will update this how-to as necessary when I notice the results.

My contact information

Feel free to text or call me at 502-291-6085 if you need help or have questions

My email is [email protected]

OwnerCS

Detailing is now easier than ever before.

For one of my other vehicles, I but together a side-by-side comparison of quick wax products. We all know how challenging it can be to keep a black finish looking good.

Check out the following PhotoBucket slideshow and form your own conclusion.

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll11 ... =slideshow

Thorshammer
Car: FX35

The title of this post is misleading.
This is more of a "what I use on my car" advertisement for meguiars products.
It's not necessary to use every product a company puts on the market to keep your car looking good.
Keeping it clean is number one.
Weekly washings go a long way and water is cheap.
Number two is finding a NON WAX product to protect and preserve the natural shine of the paint.
Wax is obsolete, too much time and effort to produce a shine that has a life expentancy of about week.
Wax has to be removed and replaced on a regular basis.
There are too many detail products, that will leave a excellent shine, in a fraction of the time and effort it takes to get a shine fooling around with wax.

Return to “Detailing Forum”