How to degree your RBxx aftermarket cams

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
RRRRB
Car: 98 RB powered S14

what about the "slack" if you will, from valve clearance on solid lifter engines and what did you do about the lifters, im sure there giving some without the engines oil pressure keeping them pumped up, i just degreed my tomei pro 260 10.25 on my 26 head and i had to retard the exhuast cam 7.5 degrees and advance the intake 2.. every other procedure i have seen says to removed the clearance from the valvetrain which is a PITA on any RB engine.... Thoughts....

Darius
Car: RB25DET S14 - 665 WHP (SOLD)

I don't understand your question. You have a solid lifter head, why does oil pressure matter with valve clearance? The lifters ride directly on shims which ride on the head of the valve so there is no slack. If there is, you need to get new shims. And it seems like you had to adjust the cams quite a bit. Are you certain of your measurements?

I degreed my RB25 cams last spring and never had an issue with the lifters bleeding down to where they lost contact with the cam. I only had to adjust my HKS exhaust cam 0.5 degrees. The intake came was also off by 0.5 degrees, but I didn't want to try to adjust the stock intake cam gear.

RRRRB

Tomei calls for .38 ex and .45 in for valve lash settings, which in turn will retard your cam right off the bat when degreed (r26 only unless you have a solid conversion).. oil pressure matters (rb20/25) because on a hydro lifter head thats what keeps your lifters solid, repedative turning of the engine at slow speeds would probably bleed them down..

If you glance at other people doing this, there using a dummy lifter in place of the hydro lifter that is solid and adjustible to take up clearance inbetween cam and valve

honda guys take the lash out because its super easy to do with a 10mm wrench and a screwdriver...

not as easy with RB26..

Im going to call tomei on monday and ask them about all this as they dont mention removing lash prior to degreeing, and almost every method of cam degreeing mentions removing lash

julio
Car: RB26 AWD converted S14

You can still find the lobe center by rotating the cam to the same lift pre/post the lobe center, correct?

RRRRB

yeah but its relation to the crank will be different from what it would be without the valve lash being 0..

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

tomei now posts their cam cards on their website, best to go there for all the info
centerling a cam is hit or miss, it happened to work well for me but the best is to check measurements according to what tomei expects.

Shocker
Car: 89 240sxHB rb26/30

When I did this for my RB26/30... My stock cams were dead on... It was good to be sure though. Great step by step Carl was super easy to follow. The hardest part was breaking a spark plug to make the piston stop. Haha

boostedh23a1
Car: Datsun 240Z
Datsun 280Z

Whats the verdict with the hydraulic lifters and degreeing?

julio
Car: RB26 AWD converted S14

boostedh23a1 wrote:Whats the verdict with the hydraulic lifters and degreeing?
Do you mean hydraulic or solid?

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”