How To: Change Your Belts 2006-07 M45

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

**Disclaimer: I am NOT liable for anything you do to your car. This is just a basic walkthrough. If unsure about this procedure, please take your vehicle to a qualified mechanic***

Task: Changing Alternator/Water pump/AC compressor (serpentine) belt and Power Steering/Oil pump belt
Time: About 30 minutes
Tools Needed/Supplies Needed:

1. Jack/Jack stands/Ramps/Wheel chocks (some guys have stated they can change both belts from above, I changed the longer one from above and the smaller one from below) YMMV
2. 10 mm socket and socket wrench: to remove the lower engine cover/tray and upper air intake piece
3. 12 mm socket, to remove small canister for more room to maneuver upper belt on (see pics)
4. 14 mm socket and longer handle socket wrench to pull back (rotate COUNTERclockwise) on the belt tensioners to release pressure off the belts
5. (2) 6 mm allen wrench to insert into hexagonal holding bosses to lock the tensioners in place
6. Belts: Alternator/Water pump/AC compressor belt is the longer one (Infiniti part number: 11720AR010-57) effective length is 77"
Power steering/Oil pump belt is shorter (Infiniti part number: Product Code: 11950AR00A-56) effective length is 37.25"

I used Goodyear Poly-V Gatorback belts that I bought from Rockauto.com
Alt/Water pump/AC belt (part #4060770): $7.97
PS/Oil Pump belt (part #4040372): $14.10

Process:
1. Overall Diagram

2. Place front of car on jack stands/ramps and chock rear wheels

3. Remove engine covers and upper air intake piece. Remove lower splash shield/tray.

4. (Optional) Remove this canister - gives you a little more room when you're putting the belt back on (Tools needed #3)

5. Use 14 mm socket to turn pulley nut COUNTERclockwise to release tension on pulley. WARNING: DO NOT turn the nut clockwise, because you will loosen the pulley and the entire auto-tensioner assembly will have to be replaced.
The red arrow points to the pulley nut

6. As you release tension on the belt, the holding boss holes should line up and you can insert the 6 mm allen wrench in to lock the tensioner in place. (you can see the end of the allen wrench sticking out in the picture below)

7. Remove the Alternator/Water pump/AC compressor belt

8. Use 14 mm socket on the hexagonal protrusion part on the lower pulley and turn COUNTERclockwise to release tension on pulley

You can see the hexagonal protrusion part in the middle of the lower pulley assembly in the pics

9. As you release tension on the belt, the holding boss holes should line up and you can insert the 6 mm allen wrench in to lock the tensioner in place. (The holes on the RIGHT hand side of the lower pulley assembly)

10. Remove the Power steering/Oil pump belt

11. Install new belt making sure all the ribs and grooves are aligned. You can get a little more slack in the pulleys by turning the hexagonal protrusion nut COUNTERclockwise. You will also have to turn the nut COUNTERclockwise to get the allen wrench out once the belt is back on.

12. Back on top, install Alternator/Water pump/AC compressor belt, again making sure all the ribs/grooves are aligned. You will probably need to turn the pulley nut COUNTERclockwise again to release tension on the pulley so you can slip the new belt on. The new belts haven't been stretched, so it is a TIGHT fit and you'll need that extra slack. Once again, you will need to turn the nut COUNTERclockwise to remove the allen wrench out of the holding boss holes to unlock the tensioner.

13. Double check all the belts are on straight and lined up...you're DONE!!

14. Comparison of OLD belts vs. NEW

New on RIGHT, old on LEFT

New on TOP, old on BOTTOM

Ilya, will you put this in the DIY section?
thanks,

Craig

CPJ LB
Car: 12 G37X Sedan- stealthy modded
14 Altima 2.5
08 Tahoe
06 M35 S (gone)
14 Versa 4dr (gone)

Nice write up!!! very detailed :dblthumb:

I also noticed on another thread that you installed the undertray and touched up a few things...looks great!! I also have an 06, and I'm sure you get a lot of comments about your car not looking old :biggrin:

I'll be keeping my M (Diamond Graphite) for awhile....

pedsemdoc
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Thanks, others' DIYs have saved me some moolah over the years, so trying to give back...although Larz takes it to a whole new level -- old DVD navigation disc, LED lights, etc.
CPJ LB wrote: I also have an 06, and I'm sure you get a lot of comments about your car not looking old
Anthony, absolutely!! they find it hard to believe it's an 8 year old car, but the kids usually are in my wife's 2012 Durango.. :naughty: and I'm a little OCD about keeping my ride neat and tidy both inside and outside

The Diamond Graphite kinda grows on you after a while. It's funny when you see other owner's cars, you start wondering what it would be like to have their color...white/black/silver. don't see much of the crimson or blue

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Good work sir. Adding to the FAQ.

vasekvi
Car: 2008 Infiniti M45 S

Nice writeup! Thank you!

jhuerto23
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

Just FYI. I just did this to my 06 M45 and the part number for the smaller belt that you've listed might be wrong. Mine was too small. I went to a local auto parts store and got a different one.

Gates Century Series Micro-V - Serpentine Belt
Line: GAT | Part # K040372

pedsemdoc
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

jhuerto23 wrote:Just FYI. I just did this to my 06 M45 and the part number for the smaller belt that you've listed might be wrong. Mine was too small. I went to a local auto parts store and got a different one.
I copied the numbers off of my invoice when I ordered the part - but, alas I don't have my M45 any more.

when I looked up '06 Infiniti M45 belts, Power Steering belt, different brands list different lengths:
some are 36.2 inches long and others are 37 inches long - that's a big difference...I thought it was a little difficult getting this one on, It would probably be a whole lot easier if I had 3/4 inch extra slack to get the darn thing on! :wtf2:

jhuerto23
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45

pedsemdoc wrote:
jhuerto23 wrote:Just FYI. I just did this to my 06 M45 and the part number for the smaller belt that you've listed might be wrong. Mine was too small. I went to a local auto parts store and got a different one.
I copied the numbers off of my invoice when I ordered the part - but, alas I don't have my M45 any more.

when I looked up '06 Infiniti M45 belts, Power Steering belt, different brands list different lengths:
some are 36.2 inches long and others are 37 inches long - that's a big difference...I thought it was a little difficult getting this one on, It would probably be a whole lot easier if I had 3/4 inch extra slack to get the darn thing on! :wtf2:
If I remember, the one I bought was about 37.9 long.. It was a lot easier to install then the one you listed.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”